U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,256,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's NYC, what can you expect ?

Do that somewhere decent like Dallas, Kansas City, Atlanta and you'll get a very boring video.
There are no people on the street in those cities. It has nothing to do with men being more or less respectful based on city of residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,102,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Notice all of these men represented a certain *ahem* demographic?
Yup. That's how it goes unfortunately.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
1) "How are you this morning?" and "have a nice evening" constitutes "harassment"? Sounds like CNN is trying too hard.
Yes, it's harassment. Objectifying women on the street is harassment.

Unless these dudes are doing the exact same thing to everyone else, regardless of gender, age, looks, etc., they're targeting women for harassment.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,589,141 times
While most women won't admit it, there is a level that they like and expect. The exception is if they are old hags and then they have fake outrage at the situation. If a good looking woman walked down a NY street and didn't get any looks or comments, I honestly believe she would wonder whats wrong. Most of the examples in this video were innocent, and polite comments and hardly harassment. Guys are always looking to start up a conversation with women and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it now because one day you will not be so hot and the comments will stop.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:45 AM

22,319 posts, read 9,485,094 times
I lived in NYC, and it is really annoying to have guys making comments all the time. This was not people 'just being friendly' either. It did not matter what I was wearing--much of the time I was dressed for work and I worked in an office. Solution was mini walkman (no Ipods then) and sunglasses. It pretty much blocked them all out.

It does not only happen in NYC. It is anywhere in the US women walk in towns or cities. In smaller towns, you can be walking on the sidewalk and guys will still comment or yell stuff out their car windows when they go by. I have noticed that this is not something that happens a lot in European cities.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
If a good looking woman walked down a NY street and didn't get any looks or comments, I honestly believe she would wonder whats wrong.
Total bull.

I used to date a girl and she would come in off the street in tears, with all the objectifying comments. She hated it! She didn't even wear form-fitting clothes, but she had a figure that would get comments.

"My, you a healthy lookin woman!"; "Girl, why don't you smile?", or doing the kissy sounds. It's harrassment and these losers should be ashamed. And, yeah, it was only one demographic doing all the comments.

A subtle smile, a quick glance, an appreciative nod is one thing, but, staring, following, verbalizing your perv thoughts, is wrong, and needs to stop.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM

22,319 posts, read 9,485,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
While most women won't admit it, there is a level that they like and expect. The exception is if they are old hags and then they have fake outrage at the situation. If a good looking woman walked down a NY street and didn't get any looks or comments, I honestly believe she would wonder whats wrong. Most of the examples in this video were innocent, and polite comments and hardly harassment. Guys are always looking to start up a conversation with women and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it now because one day you will not be so hot and the comments will stop.
This is totally not true and sounds incredibly patronizing. Guys looking to start up a conversation this way with a a stranger on the street probably do not meet a lot of women. Women who "wonder what is wrong" if they don't get catcalls or have strange men harassing them on the street most likely have very low self esteem. Many women I know find this type of behavior obnoxious and they definitely are not "old hags."

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
What 10 hours of street harassment looks like - CNN.com

Don't like this at all but I found the one guy who kept saying "DAMN....DAMN" quite funny.

Opinions?
On a different thread on this subforum, a poster said the issue was "cultural". I'd like to know more about that. I noticed that the subject of the film chose certain neighborhoods. We don't see her walking through the Upper East Side or Park Avenue, where I'm betting her experience would have been completely different (though we haven't seen the entire 10 hrs.) I'd like to get a better understanding of how street harassment is "cultural". I know if she'd walked through most neighborhoods in Seattle or Berkeley, CA, or San Francisco, no one would have noticed her.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 10-29-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is totally not true and sounds incredibly patronizing. Guys looking to start up a conversation this way with a a stranger on the street probably do not meet a lot of women. Women who "wonder what is wrong" if they don't get catcalls or have strange men harassing them on the street most likely have very low self esteem. Many women I know find this type of behavior obnoxious and they definitely are not "old hags."
This. Most of the women I've known don't attract attention at all. They feel invisible. They're not expecting or wanting catcalls (or shouted orders to smile--that's common, from what I hear), or to be approached by dudes who appear to be loitering and unemployed. They do hope for an occasional friendly chat in the grocery store or at a public event. They say (and this was the subject of a thread in the Relationships forum) that being approached on the street makes them uncomfortable, and isn't appropriate. There's a psychological factor there that women can explain better than I can. But I thought the way the woman in the film was followed by two guys (on separate occasions) was a little freaky. That's not normal behavior.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 AM

3,818 posts, read 2,208,133 times
The sad thing is that these guys really do ruin it for a lot of the normal guys out there.

There are actually normal guys out there that don't mind starting up a normal conversation with an attractive women in the street, and without just wanting her for sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or