U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,047 posts, read 36,697,670 times
Reputation: 38708

Advertisements

You think she might have gone down streets that are known for street walkers ?

Might be like complaining about drunks while you're at the local bar.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,518 posts, read 4,110,040 times
Reputation: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, I've wondered that myself. Like the guys driving by honking at me while I'm walking down the street. First, I can't even see what they look like because I never ever look over when someone honks. Second, honking is basically desperate, I can smell the desperation. Third, like honking at me is going to get them what exactly? Do they think I'm going to run after their car yelling "Stop! Stop! Please, let me in so I can ride you into the sunset!"? No idea. But yes, guys who chat me up at the store or bus stop or whatever, totally open to that.
Did you ever see the Seinfeld routine where he talks about this? Honestly, hysterical
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
 
4,035 posts, read 3,860,059 times
Reputation: 5315
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, I've wondered that myself. Like the guys driving by honking at me while I'm walking down the street. First, I can't even see what they look like because I never ever look over when someone honks. Second, honking is basically desperate, I can smell the desperation. Third, like honking at me is going to get them what exactly? Do they think I'm going to run after their car yelling "Stop! Stop! Please, let me in so I can ride you into the sunset!"? No idea. But yes, guys who chat me up at the store or bus stop or whatever, totally open to that.
Good topic. Seinfeld had a routine about the honking thing. He said dudes who honk at women are dudes who've run out of ideas on how to approach women. (Why is it so hard for some people?) I'm getting the idea from reading the painful posts by the ultra-shy dudes on C-D that for some reason in mainstream American culture (compared to the vid) a lot of dudes aren't able to talk to women. They're extremely anxiety-ridden on the subject of women. So all they can do is yell stuff as they drive by, or honk at 'em. Because it's safe for the dudes, they don't have to actually have a *gasp* conversation with a woman, involving give and take, involving figuring out what to say. The dudes in the video, though, don't seem to have any trouble approaching women. Their problem is they don't know how to do it appropriately.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,320,617 times
Reputation: 17659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I personally find that stuff really annoying. I walk to/from the train to my house and office every day. About once a day, when I'm walking down a busy street with a lot of auto traffic, someone will beep the horn and maybe yell something out the window. Usually, it startles me and I definitely don't enjoy it. These men are driving at around 40 mph; there is no way they can even see me that clearly! Obviously, they beep and yell at any woman going down the street, which seems insane to me. Really, what is the point?
My aunt had someone honk at her and yell nice ass while she was crossing the street just last week. She's 68 years old. Her ass looks fine, but really?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 AM
 
4,035 posts, read 3,860,059 times
Reputation: 5315
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I saw this story this morning on CBS, and in the clip they showed, it was only black men doing the catcalling, even walking right next to her for minutes at a time. Then when they cut back to the anchors, everybody but Gayle agreed it was harassment. Gayle of course said it was nothing, that it's not like they put their hands on her or anything.

Guess she grew up with that kind of crap.
Wow. Did she elaborate? There does seem to be a cultural gap here. I wish someone could have moderated the discussion to go deeper into that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,269,081 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Honestly, this is a big reason why some guys won't even bother talking to women in general, let along on the street or during day time. It's basically a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
That's a wonderful thing, if it's true. Hopefully these losers on the video get the message.

Men should not be shouting at women walking down the street. Some women don't mind attention, but, not many women are going to like street people yelling at them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,269,081 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
What does it have to do with? Employment status? (Harassing women for entertainment seems to be popular with the homeless and unemployed.) Is it a class thing? Is it "cultural", like someone said on another thread? Is it ok in certain cultures to try to pick up women as they're walking by on their way to somewhere? And if so, how do the women in those cultures feel about it?

Seriously, I'm trying to understand this thing.
My sense is, for whatever reason, it's culturally accepted among low income, low prospect, kind of "ghetto" type men (usually African American) that yelling at women on the street is acceptable behavior.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 AM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,320,617 times
Reputation: 17659
Maybe next time a guy does this to me, I'll turn and say, " obviously no one has explained this to you before, but your behavior just now? Incredibly rude. Don't do that anymore."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 AM
 
294 posts, read 192,210 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, [saying "how are you this evening?" is] harassment. Objectifying women on the street is harassment.

Unless these dudes are doing the exact same thing to everyone else, regardless of gender, age, looks, etc., they're targeting women for harassment.
Good, then I'm pro-harassing women. You can quote me all you want, too.

You're a fool and the type of activist I love to mock. "If you say hello to that woman, you have to say it to everyone!" Ha ha ha, or maybe I'll just ignore you and let you keep yammering at yourself in the corner of the room.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,269,081 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Good, then I'm pro-harassing women. You can quote me all you want, too.
Yeah, you are. Talking to strange women on the street, for the purpose of embarrassing and unnerving them, is harassment.

It may be a mild format of harassment, but it's still harassment. Many women will not walk through certain parts of town, or will profile other pedestrians, for exactly this reason. You are harassing women, and I hope you don't have sisters, daugthers or a mother, because they would not appreciate such behavior directed towards them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top