Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

I drove to a house for some get-together. At the neighborhood, there were a bunch of kids and their parents crossing a street. I did stop for them, but I was a bit taken back how 1) there was no crosswalk. Granted, the neighborhood's not big enough to put on in I suppose, but still, you're less expecting to see them coming, and 2) black skeleton outfits, red iron man custom, witches... they were only visible under car lights. Hard to see them in the dark. If they were running into the beam of your lights, it'd be cutting it close. They tell night time joggers and cyclists to put on reflectors... they should consider asking trick or treaters to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
We need to ban cars.

Bill
How about looking both ways before crossing instead, maybe they were all on a phone, a distracted pedestrian is a major problem. I could say, hey lets ban crossing the street, or walking, but that is just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
This sucks. I stated in the Halloween thread that bad drivers, not tainted candy, are the biggest dangers of trick or treating.
There is such thing as bad pedestrians, the ones distracted by a phone, wearing ear phones, or just walk right out in front of an oncoming vehicle. It really gets old that the driver is instantly pegged as a bad driver.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Want to make a bet that the driver was here Illegally, has a criminal record and has probably been deported in the past ?

The Govt would probably not tell us if they were.
You have a good point. I remember way back when on those cops tv shows where they would ditch a vehicle like that right by a field off the side of the highway, and I believe they were illegals.
My guess is that we don't ever hear the truth for what happened.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hit by an SUV. Who would have guessed? Most of the aggressive drivers are in SUVs and Pickups. It is what it is. I feel so sad for the little kids that got killed by the selfish jerk in the SUV. What a shame. Hope they catch the scum that did that. Lives lost and plenty of lives destroyed due to pure selfishness. You sort of have to be selfish if you drive an SUV.
You've just been caught in that so called "black and white" thinking. Your problem is, that you're speculating, no one knows what really happened.

Are distracted pedestrians that walked out into the street right out in front of a vehicle not even a possibility?
Use that high IQ that you claim you have, and stop blaming every SUV and pick up driver out there.

You say that a person has to be selfish to drive an SUV, that is a sweeping generalization/stereotype.

Last edited by lookb4youcross; 11-02-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
How about looking both ways before crossing instead, maybe they were all on a phone, a distracted pedestrian is a major problem. I could say, hey lets ban crossing the street, or walking, but that is just dumb.

There is such thing as bad pedestrians, the ones distracted by a phone, wearing ear phones, or just walk right out in front of an oncoming vehicle. It really gets old that the driver is instantly pegged as a bad driver.
There are definitely bad pedestrians out there. I've almost hit a couple people myself. On Halloween though, the one day of the year that we let the little monsters run amok, it's important to exercise extra care when driving.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I was out on Halloween night, driving slowly through the neighborhood to get to the main arterial street out, and kids were behaving unpredictably. There was a group of kids on the sidewalk, but for some reason, when they saw me approaching, they darted across the street instead of staying put. I was going slowly enough already that it was easy to stop, but still, it was weird. And there was a parent with them, watching them, but did nothing to tell them to wait for the car before crossing.

I guess that's what you have to expect on Halloween--kids assuming they're safe and that they kind of own the streets for an hour or two. I've never encountered that before. Usually all the kids go to the local mall, which has a haunted house and amusements set up for them.
That is the problem, if you drive a vehicle, you're instantly guilty.

Take a look at this video, watch the glaring looks the driver gets
LiveLeak.com - You never know whats coming around the corner (helmets are good for you!)

Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
You've just been caught in that so called "black and white" thinking. Your problem is, that you're speculating, no one knows what really happened.

Are distracted pedestrians that walked out into the street right out in front of a vehicle not even a possibility?
Use that high IQ that you claim you have, and stop blaming every SUV and pick up driver out there.

You say that a person has to be selfish to drive an SUV, that is a sweeping generalization/stereotype.
But it's perfectly ok to speculate the ethnicity of a hit-and-run driver.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 AM

417 posts, read 433,165 times
Well, I drove back from work late...so do all offices schools and workplaces shutdown and a no vehicle curfew created for Halloween trick or treat???

If someone had to work a little late and drove back home would that not be their right? They are allowed to drive home or to teh store...maybe someone is sick and needs to go to teh pharmacy. If there is no ban on driving, then the parents must be careful. Because even if a vehicle slows down, its still a motorized vehicle.
Also one must tick or treat in the evening when the sun is about setting, not when its dark. I don't think it is safe to have kids out at dark anyway!! vehicle or not.

I do feel very very sorry for the kids and pray that they find peace and rest and freedom.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why did they hit and run?

Either they were here illegally, had stolen the car and had no insurance or

They were a couple of Gang Bangers who stole a car.

I don't bet but I'd put money on #1 above.
That's just good odds in CA much like the Illegal that killed the Cops last week.

Quote:
Witnesses say the Honda CRV was speeding, and drove off after hitting the girls. The car was found by police later in the evening, but now cops are busy looking for two men who they say took off on foot, after abandoning the vehicle.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Where did I speculate the ethnicity? Illegal isn't an ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events