Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Why's it 21? I thought 18 was an adult. You can kill people in war, but not enjoy marijuana? I would think you would have to be more mature to handle war than to smoke a blunt. We know damn well everyone 18-20 will be doing it anyway. Scratch that, even HS adolescents will be doing it as they also smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol as they have for decades. Alcohol is more harmful than weed anyway. 18 should be legal to do marijuana if we decide it should be a legal substance.
18 should be legal, but not 19 or 20, then OK for 21 thru 37, 38 on to 45 you need to take a break, then 46 and up you made it that far so you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 04:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
The vote in Florida was not for recreational use. It was for medical marijuana, but it failed to get the required number of votes ......
It would be interesting to see what the Big Pharmacy companies spent to defeat this in Florida.
They have the most to lose when MMJ becomes legal. Also saw that 58% of Florida voters were for MMJ, but I took 60% to pass.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Congress, especially with a now even wider Republican majority, will step in and vote the residents of DC down.

Watch.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Just as I thought.

I just found this:

Legalization limbo in D.C.: Republican congress will have final say on city pot law - The Washington Post

Quote:
Celebration quickly gave way to uncertainty on Wednesday for supporters of a voter-approved initiative to legalize marijuana in the District, with the reality sinking in that when the measure reaches Capitol Hill for review, the party least likely to support it will be in charge.

One conservative House Republican from neighboring Maryland immediately vowed to use all of his power to upend Initiative 71, which would allow D.C. residents and visitors to have up to 2 ounces of marijuana for personal use and would allow home cultivation of up to three plants.
I look for a very watered down decriminalization and not what the residents of DC voted for.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
Well it's about bloody time.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
I'll sure be happy when most of the boomers kill over so mostly sane people will be in power!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Might take a few more years there. The current crop of retirees are the generation who came up in the 50s, the "Leave it To Beaver" generation. As they die out and are replaced by retirees from the 60s, the "Sergeant Pepper" generation will ram it through.
The Leave It to Beaver generation is the Sgt. Pepper's generation. Beaver ended in June, 1963. Sgt. Pepper's came out in June, 1967. Four years does not a separate generation make.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM

607 posts, read 761,399 times
The DC win will not stand, as the republicans who now control both houses of Congress will veto it, which they have the power to do, as they have absolute domain over DC....

I cannot see even a Democratic-led Congress allowing that to stand, just because it is an embarrassment to them to have recreational weed floating around DC while it is a federal offense.....next thing you know, all the congressional aides will be stoned, and nothing will get done or passed....

If they do let this stand, it will be somewhat hilarious, don't you think, the prospect of people walking down the mall getting lit legally in the summer?......actually insane.......

As I say, truth is stranger than fiction..

Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Strange thing is federally its still illegal. But I say give states more rights to decide. Smaller federal government but by unexpected liberal voters. Personally I'd vote no where I live. ;not the way I want to increase taxes and IMO a lot of unintended consequences.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Legalization in any of the East Coast states is a crucial matter, unlike the West. Even if Rhode Island were to legalize it, with all the populous states nearby, people then traveling to Rhode Island to buy it, and it would be inevitable, those populous states would be pressured to follow suit just to collect that tax revenue, if nothing else.

Washington, DC? If it isn't vetoed, those stores will do a rip-roaring business from neighboring states.

Nevada won't be pressured into legalizing it until California does, which is up for a vote on it in 2016, even though it didn't pass the last time.

Why the pressure? California legalizes it, and untold number of Californians come up here to Las Vegas on the weekends, they didn't bring enough pot along with them, and? Hey! Isn't this sin city? Where's your pot stores? And wouldn't that be embarrassing for Las Vegas!!!

Underneath the glitter/neon of Las Vegas stands an extremely conservative populace that shocks a lot of people who move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events