Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 AM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times

Advertisements

Bullets found in child's trick-or-treat candy - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

This is, of course, very disturbing. It will be interesting to see what the investigation determines. It could have been done by a teacher, a parent, or even the parent of the little boy. I can't imagine that it was done at the manufacturing plant or retail store, since this boy got 4 affected boxes and no one else (that we know of) got any.

Edited to add: My link is from an Indianapolis news station, but the incident occurred in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,641,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Bullets found in child's trick-or-treat candy - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

This is, of course, very disturbing. It will be interesting to see what the investigation determines. It could have been done by a teacher, a parent, or even the parent of the little boy. I can't imagine that it was done at the manufacturing plant or retail store, since this boy got 4 affected boxes and no one else (that we know of) got any.

Edited to add: My link is from an Indianapolis news station, but the incident occurred in Ohio.
Lol..

those are .22 ammo.. in my area, the parents would be ecstatic to get their hands on it.. (there hasn't been any .22 on the shelf for 2 years)..

most likely some prepper's "end of the world" stash // spouse gave them away without realizing it. preppers like 22, because a "hoard" of the size in that video clip (perhaps a dozen rounds) might be enough to feed your family for several days in the right hands..

The outrage is kinda misplaced - they don't "just go off" (no one would/could be hurt by them unless they were loaded into a gun & fired) I have been known to carry a pocketfull of .22 around for months at a time in my hunting jacket & the only "damage" done is to the cartridges.. (22's are thin and can bend).

Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Lol..

those are .22 ammo.. in my area, the parents would be ecstatic to get their hands on it.. (there hasn't been any .22 on the shelf for 2 years)..

most likely some prepper's "end of the world" stash // spouse gave them away without realizing it. preppers like 22, because a "hoard" of the size in that video clip (perhaps a dozen rounds) might be enough to feed your family for several days in the right hands..

The outrage is kinda misplaced - they don't "just go off" (no one would/could be hurt by them unless they were loaded into a gun & fired) I have been known to carry a pocketfull of .22 around for months at a time in my hunting jacket & the only "damage" done is to the cartridges.. (22's are thin and can bend).
Someone could have given them away without realizing it??? And they "didn't realize" that they sealed them into 4 mini-boxes of Milk Duds?

I think outrage is quite appropriate. A small child could have opened the candy box and swallowed the bullets. And even though no physical harm was done in this case, it is indeed outrageous that someone would have done this.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM

21,717 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Someone could have given them away without realizing it??? And they "didn't realize" that they sealed them into 4 mini-boxes of Milk Duds?

I think outrage is quite appropriate. A small child could have opened the candy box and swallowed the bullets. And even though no physical harm was done in this case, it is indeed outrageous that someone would have done this.
A child small enough to swallow a bullet would be just as likely to be harmed by swallowing a milk dud.

It's just weird. Dollars to donuts it ends up being something like the finger in my chili at Wendy's thing a few years back.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,064,834 times
I can't wait to open the family-size MilkDuds box I got from CostCo.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:08 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,840,799 times
Quote:
Lol..

I was just thinking the same thing, hell I would don a mask and go trick or treating if I thought I could get some 22LR.
Some prepper is probably real mad right now.

bill

Old 11-05-2014, 10:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,641,578 times
Quote:

A child swallowing a .22 round wouldn't hurt them at all. The rounds in the video were copper-plated, so no lead exposure. And kids eat change all the time - a 22 round would pass through their system way easier than a penny would.

As for how it happened, we don't know, and it's not worth "investigating", but preppers do stash survival gear, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if a "prepper husband" intentionally hid some ammo in a milk-duds box & "prepper wife" gave said milk-duds away, not knowing there were bullets in the boxes.

I'm not a prepper, but to promote "marital harmony", I've stashed some of my reloading supplies in "unique" containers. 5,000 pieces of 9mm brass fits nicely in a "litter puurfect" container, and since it doesn't look like a "big-box-o-boolits", I don't have to explain why we "need" 5,000 rounds of 9mm. I'm safe until she decides to change the cat litter. :-)

Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
A child swallowing a .22 round wouldn't hurt them at all. The rounds in the video were copper-plated, so no lead exposure. And kids eat change all the time - a 22 round would pass through their system way easier than a penny would.

As for how it happened, we don't know, and it's not worth "investigating", but preppers do stash survival gear, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if a "prepper husband" intentionally hid some ammo in a milk-duds box & "prepper wife" gave said milk-duds away, not knowing there were bullets in the boxes.

I'm not a prepper, but to promote "marital harmony", I've stashed some of my reloading supplies in "unique" containers. 5,000 pieces of 9mm brass fits nicely in a "litter puurfect" container, and since it doesn't look like a "big-box-o-boolits", I don't have to explain why we "need" 5,000 rounds of 9mm. I'm safe until she decides to change the cat litter. :-)
You mean your CAT is safe...

I'm betting on somebody grabbed the wrong box when "loading" the candy bowl. Downside to using food boxes and not telling your family.
Sadly the responsible person would be "shooting themselves in the foot" if they came forward admitting to the mistake as they'd probably be crucified for several weeks, then burned at the stake only to be locked up for life after that.
On a funny note, can you imagine the look on the face of the person who thinks his boxes have bullets, goes to reload and stuffs milk duds into his weapon? DAMN... LOL

Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,669,501 times
So if they fire does that mean they werent duds?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,244,607 times
I think most "normal " people would be outraged by this.

Seems there was way more outrage over a teacher asking the girl who drew a gun to promise not to hurt people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events