Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fighting was uncalled for
Yep 49 94.23%
No, she had it coming 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 AM

37,489 posts, read 45,772,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No she didn't hit him, but I wasn't comparing her to the woman in the orginal video. I was comparing her to all the violent evil... or I should just say black women that ChessieMom comes in to contact with.
I said nothing about any race of women being evil. I said nothing that even suggested that. One of the sweetest and gentlest women that I know is black. Let's not take this any further as it would be against TOS. So just drop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,795,200 times
Good thing for the attacker that was not carrying concealed.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,300,134 times
I myself get tired of these parents who think their children have the right to inflict their noise pollution on the rest of us, while they the parents do nothing but excuse it.

Incidentally, I'm going to inflame some people, that's not my intent but I figure it's going to happen. Autism is no excuse. It's used all the time, frankly, I think half the time the parent is just saying that, but my reply would be "yeah, so?" I have read enough and had enough experiences with friends of mine who have autistic children to know that even they can be controlled. The approach may be different, you may have to be more diligent and persistent, but it's an entirely do-able proposition. Regardless, just because your child is autistic does not mean it has carte blanche license to inflict its torture on the rest of us while you do nothing.

Dogs are not children, in fact I make this point a lot to people whom I think like their dogs too much--however, I think this is a good comparison. My dog doesn't know any better than how to behave in a public place without being destructive, noisy, and smelly. Does that make it okay for me to take my dog into a public place, allow it to do what it does, say "that's what dogs do," and think everyone else has to tolerate it and can't even say to me "I'd appreciate your keeping the dog from tearing up the store" or such? No, I would be expected to control my dog however I had to, no matter that "it doesn't know any better." To me, although children are 20 million times more important than a dog, the same standard should apply. That they supposedly have autism is irrelevant.

I do not agree with the "mind your business" response. It IS my business when your child is making a bunch of noise that hurts my ears--and yes, it does hurt my ears, and pretty badly at that--violating that boundary and all the while you don't do dip-squat about it when you full and well are capable and when it's full and well your responsibility. I am in agreement about minding your own business when the issue doesn't affect you, but when it does, of course you should be able to say something.

That is one thing that bothers me--parents being so firm on "I parent MY children, don't you dare" even when it DOES affect another. I've seen parents get upset when, for instance, they are visiting someone and their child is being disruptive in that other person's home, or going into the cookies without asking etc. OF COURSE the home owner has the right HIMSELF or herself to say something to the child directly, or say something to the parent--by the way, how many times have parents said "you don't talk to my child, if you have a problem then you talk to ME," well that's what the person did here yet STILL the mother threw a fit. They just don't care how their lack of proper parenting is bothering someone else and they don't want to even hear about it, that's all it is.

The parent is correct with the "mind your business" response if the homeowner, say, scolded the child for eating cookies that the parent had given them from their own stash and with their full consent, or if the parent has people over and they are, say, letting the child run outdoors or jump on the bed etc and the VISITOR is taking exception to that style. In those cases, yes, mind your own business.

However--yes, when your child is making a fuss in a store, you're darned right that's someone else's business. Don't like it, stay home. Period.

Last edited by shyguylh; 11-08-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 PM

37,489 posts, read 45,772,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I myself get tired of these parents who think their children have the right to inflict their noise pollution on the rest of us, while they the parents do nothing but excuse it.

Incidentally, I'm going to inflame some people, that's not my intent but I figure it's going to happen. Autism is no excuse. It's used all the time, frankly, I think half the time the parent is just saying that, but my reply would be "yeah, so?" I have read enough and had enough experiences with friends of mine who have autistic children to know that even they can be controlled. The approach may be different, you may have to be more diligent and persistent, but it's an entirely do-able proposition. Regardless, just because your child is autistic does not mean it has carte blanche license to inflict its torture on the rest of us while you do nothing.

Dogs are not children, in fact I make this point a lot to people whom I think like their dogs too much--however, I think this is a good comparison. My dog doesn't know any better than how to behave in a public place without being destructive, noisy, and smelly. Does that make it okay for me to take my dog into a public place, allow it to do what it does, say "that's what dogs do," and think everyone else has to tolerate it and can't even say to me "I'd appreciate your keeping the dog from tearing up the store" or such? No, I would be expected to control my dog however I had to, no matter that "it doesn't know any better." To me, although children are 20 million times more important than a dog, the same standard should apply. That they supposedly have autism is irrelevant.

I do not agree with the "mind your business" response. It IS my business when your child is making a bunch of noise that hurts my ears--and yes, it does hurt my ears, and pretty badly at that--violating that boundary and all the while you don't do dip-squat about it when you full and well are capable and when it's full and well your responsibility. I am in agreement about minding your own business when the issue doesn't affect you, but when it does, of course you should be able to say something.

That is one thing that bothers me--parents being so firm on "I parent MY children, don't you dare" even when it DOES affect another. I've seen parents get upset when, for instance, they are visiting someone and their child is being disruptive in that other person's home, or going into the cookies without asking etc. OF COURSE the home owner has the right HIMSELF or herself to say something to the child directly, or say something to the parent--by the way, how many times have parents said "you don't talk to my child, if you have a problem then you talk to ME," well that's what the person did here yet STILL the mother threw a fit. They just don't care how their lack of proper parenting is bothering someone else and they don't want to even hear about it, that's all it is.

The parent is correct with the "mind your business" response if the homeowner, say, scolded the child for eating cookies that the parent had given them from their own stash and with their full consent, or if the parent has people over and they are, say, letting the child run outdoors or jump on the bed etc and the VISITOR is taking exception to that style. In those cases, yes, mind your own business.

However--yes, when your child is making a fuss in a store, you're darned right that's someone else's business. Don't like it, stay home. Period.
I think I love you.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,239,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Maybe it's just me but these new breed of millennial mothers seem to be the worst at this kind of stuff. I am a firm gen xer and I certainly don't remember young mothers being near as bad. I see so many mothers today that seem to rather try to "block out" their kids screaming than stop or take them to inappropriate avenues. I personally think every young woman and man in HS should be required to take home ec and carry around those baby think it over things.
Yup. Kids need boundaries and they are not getting them because parents are too self absorbed and can't be bothered. The "MillenniBrat Generation. "

Old 11-10-2014, 07:06 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,239,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Amen! I've taken care of all dif levels of child functioning.

When they act up beyond return, we leave. And further ABA behavioral reinforcement is applied.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,572,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
I was at Target one day and a woman flipped out because a DVD she thought was on sale turned out not to be when the cashier rung her up. She started cussing the cashier out and throwing the DVDs while her son stood beside her and watched. I was at the asian bar at Wegmans when a woman became angry because she thought a guy cut in front of her which was ridiculous because the asian bar is set up like a buffet. You can't cut in line at a buffet. She went nuts on the guy and was told to leave the store. Witnessed another line cutting incident at a fast food restaurant. Woman became very threatening towards the alleged line cutter. The police were called. I should point out that none of these women were black! There are aggressive, angry, physically violent women in every race.
Thank you. People of every race act belligerent and stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Distrubing video.

We could go on all day about incidences like this and I guarantee you it will be all races. I have come across some some very mean white people who not only get violent but spew hateful disparaging remarks toward other human beings.

The hate, racism, and ignorance by some posters on City-Data never ceases to amaze me. It's truly sad and those posters deserve to be put on Ignore. Can't imagine what it's like going through life like that.
Agree. And most of us don't feel the need to post about it as soon as the opportunity arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So, why was the Muslim person still talking to this hateful woman? For what purpose? Just to record an irate and irrational idiot? He should have gone back to his car after recording the license plate of the other car, and call the police. The woman is clearly an idiot, but his constant video taping of her is almost just as idiotic.
Probably evidence. I'm glad he continued to record this dumb@ss and put it on the net for all to see.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,207,896 times
When I watch this I wonder if she has Asperger's or is on the autism spectrum somewhere. When talking to the reporter, she gives no indication that what she has done is socially unacceptable.

I do know someone who has Aspergers and she tries to control her environment when she can't handle it. Loud noises and other people's behavior bother her to the point she has approached people to stop what they're doing. She has always been bullied for this.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,993,290 times
Quote:
Mom Arrested, Accused Of Attacking Irritated Colma Shopper Who Asked Her To Quiet Tantrum-Throwing Kid November 11, 2014 5:29 PM

COLMA (KPIX 5) — Colma police have arrested a 27-year-old woman, accused of attacking a shopper at Nordstrom Rack after being asked to quiet down a tantrum-throwing child with her. Officers identified Terrie Elzie as the woman on surveillance video, and she is being held on $50,000 bail on suspicion of felony battery causing serious injury.
Mom Arrested, Accused Of Attacking Irritated Colma Shopper Who Asked Her To Quiet Tantrum-Throwing Kid « CBS San Francisco

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM

32,835 posts, read 36,124,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Amen! I've taken care of all dif levels of child functioning.

When they act up beyond return, we leave. And further ABA behavioral reinforcement is applied.
Sometime this is the only thing that works. I had a screamer and I don't know how many times I left stores or restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events