Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:40 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times

Advertisements

Texas teacher suspended over racially-charged, profanity-laced tweet

By Joshua Fechter | November 11, 2014

A Texas teacher who took to Twitter on Friday to tell "dumb (expletive) crackers" with opinions about ongoing racial unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, to "kill themselves" could lose her job after major online backlash.

Duncanville Independent School District officials suspended Vinita Hegwood, a second year Duncanville High School English teacher, without pay Monday morning after officials learned about a series of Hegwood's tweets on Friday night, WFAA reported. Officials told WFAA Hegwood said she wrote the tweets and that they expected her to be fired.

more... Texas teacher suspended over racially-charged, profanity-laced tweet - Houston Chronicle

Well, there ya go. It works both ways. A few months ago, a Texas woman lost her job at a hospital because she wrote racist ramblings on facebook regarding the Ferguson killing.

They'll both be looking for another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
You never know, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a petition to 'save' her job by ignorant and hypocritical types.

And of course the crocodile tears 'apology' from this teacher about how stressed she was and really, she's a good person.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Do people think that what they say on social media won't get noticed and have ramifications? Apparently, they do. Amazing. I don't care how good a teacher she might be; I wouldn't want someone who processes the world like this around my kids, much less teaching them.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
A Texas teacher who took to Twitter on Friday to tell "dumb (expletive) crackers" with opinions about ongoing racial unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, to "kill themselves" could lose her job after major online backlash.

Duncanville Independent School District officials suspended Vinita Hegwood, a second year Duncanville High School English teacher, without pay Monday morning after officials learned about a series of Hegwood's tweets on Friday night, WFAA reported. Officials told WFAA Hegwood said she wrote the tweets and that they expected her to be fired.

more... Texas teacher suspended over racially-charged, profanity-laced tweet - Houston Chronicle

Well, there ya go. It works both ways. A few months ago, a Texas woman lost her job at a hospital because she wrote racist ramblings on facebook regarding the Ferguson killing.

They'll both be looking for another job.
Seems like someone needs to tell these Texans no one gives a squat about their opinions on a town 1000 miles away from where they live. Paraphrasing the teacher's tweet of course...

Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM

140 posts, read 191,853 times
Why should someone lose their job over something like this?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Because people are a bunch of PC crybabies.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Do people think that what they say on social media won't get noticed and have ramifications? Apparently, they do. Amazing. I don't care how good a teacher she might be; I wouldn't want someone who processes the world like this around my kids, much less teaching them.
I'd like to live in a Republic where we are allowed to have our thoughts, no matter what they may be. In the last few years it has begun to feel as though people can be charged for thought crimes in the U. S.

As long as you aren't threatening anyone or causing harm you should be able to speak your mind when appropriate with no fear of retaliation. I don't care what any teacher thinks as long as they are an effective and fair teacher.

But this woman - I wouldn't want her to teach my kids because of her obvious stupidity of broadcasting what she thinks. I just have to doubt her teaching skills after seeing such a display of poor judgment. No matter if your thoughts are murderous, as a role model your behavior needs to be impartial.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
As the saying goes; stupid is as stupid does.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Because she's a teacher. And she's shown racial bias, and told people who disagree with her to kill themselves. If she worked at Best Buy? Eh, no biggie. Teachers can't get away with it, though.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I am stunned she was suspended without pay and expects to be fired.

I would have bet she would have joined the many thousands of state and federal workers who are suspended with pay while her situation was "reviewed". For months. And months. And then, when we have all forgotten, she is reinstated. And then compensated for the "pain" she suffered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events