Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:23 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,230,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Separation of Church and State....Google it.

Why do schools need to close for every religious holiday? Schools aren't churches or houses of worship. They exist to educate. If they take off every holiday for every religion, pretty soon the school year will only be a week long!

There are many school districts who close during certain holidays, but don't call it the religious holiday. And what if you're not religious? Are you now offended as well? Schools can't win. They need to educate not give days off because Yoda wants a day off to move chocolate milk with the force, or some dudes show up with the worst baby shower gifts ever.
I will agree that many breaks are unnecessarily long these days, during the last few years of my high school education we got a whole week off for Easter. Before that, we only got the Thursday and Friday before and the Monday after off.

My former school district, Anne Arundel County Public Schools, barely half an hour from Montgomery County, is now giving about 8 extra "half days" a semester. Why? For "staff development conferences".

The result of all these needless holidays? It doesn't reduce the school year any, it just cuts into summer vacation!

However, some breaks are needed. When only a handful of students miss a day or two, it's no big deal. They just make up the work. But it isn't fair to do that when an abnormally large percent of students have to be somewhere other than school.

And I totally disagree with removing references to "holidays" from the calendar. It's just another example of PC gone way too far. Then again, this is from the same state where, all of a sudden earlier this year, people got upset about a cross monument honoring those who tragically lost their lives in WWI that was in a public park. The thing is, the statue has been there for over 80 years! No one has complained about it, until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,198,321 times
Our local school district has called it "winter break" for years.

Also, here, Spring Break always coincides with Christian "Holy Week" (Palm Sunday-Good Friday). This way the school district can give everyone a vacation for Holy Week without calling it a religious holiday. I actually hate this... I want to spend Holy Week at my local church (evening services), but I like to use Spring Break for vacation/travel. If they are the same week I can only pick one.

As stated earlier, public schools should have nothing to do with anything religious unless you are studying religions in history. They are for reading, 'riting, and 'rithmatic. The school board and teachers should keep their version of religion away from my kids. If you want an education based on religion, then pay the $$$ and send your kids to a private/parochial school or else teach them at home.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Anyone? I don't like it one bit. Peace loving Muslims are always causing problems in the world. We are lucky to live in a country that has religious tolerance but despite what some believe historically we are a Christian country.

Holidays
The Muslims didn't ask for references to Christmas and Easter and Yom Kippur and Rosh Hoshana to be removed - they asked for a Muslim holiday to be included in the list of district holidays. The district obstinate decided that it was better to strike all holidays entirely than, heaven forbid, accomodate its Muslim as well as its Christian and Jewish taxpaying constituents.

Your response in claiming that this is a Christian country makes no sense, given that you've expressed your dislike of this development - which includes two Jewish holidays. You maintain that the Muslims deserve no holidays because this is a Christian country, yet you are complaining in part that two Jewish holidays have been removed from the calendar. That makes no sense at all.

On a side note, the state - at the federal and all its subsidiarity levels - is not Christian. The state is irreligious. The country contains many Christians, yes. But it also contains many non-Christians. And you are simultaneously complaining that some non-Christians want their holiday recognized while also complaining that other non-Christians have lost the recognition of their holidays. Again, your stances here are contradictory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't get it I thought we were supposed to be celebrating diversity but all I keep hearing are things like this. I'm glad i don't have a kid the fudgy PC future is looking pretty grim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Political correctness has replaced what moral compass and sense of fair play and justice the country has ever had. Once upon a time, kids learned fair play in the school yards and athletic fields and in the church/synagogues. Now, fairness is just an abstract notion enforced by bureaucratic decree. This school board should be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
And I totally disagree with removing references to "holidays" from the calendar. It's just another example of PC gone way too far. Then again, this is from the same state where, all of a sudden earlier this year, people got upset about a cross monument honoring those who tragically lost their lives in WWI that was in a public park. The thing is, the statue has been there for over 80 years! No one has complained about it, until now.
[sigh]

You people babbling on about political correctness - try reading the article.

The school board removed the holidays names in order to hide the fact that they are intentionally accomodating Christian and Jewish holidays so they don't have to accomodate Muslim holidays. Do you people even comprehend what is political correctness? Not if you think this is an example of it, you don't.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
[sigh]

You people babbling on about political correctness - try reading the article.

The school board removed the holidays names in order to hide the fact that they are intentionally accomodating Christian and Jewish holidays so they don't have to accomodate Muslim holidays. Do you people even comprehend what is political correctness? Not if you think this is an example of it, you don't.
OK, let's define Politically Correct:

Google: The avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Wikipedia: Political correctness or political correctitude (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term used by some conservatives to describe the attitude or policy of being careful not to offend or upset any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage.

Merriam-Webster: [Politically correct means] agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

Dictionary.com: marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving especially race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology.

Collins English Dictionary (UK): demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp concerning race and gender PC

Now by these definitions, it's clear that the Montgomery County school board is acting in a politically correct manner by avoiding offending certain groups (i.e. the atheists) who have long agitated for an end to the recognition of religious holidays by public institutions.

They obviously also thought they were avoiding offending the Muslims with this action, though in fact it backfired because the Muslims now fear being blamed for the entire fiasco.

I do agree with you that the term "political correctness" is being used loosely here, but I think the school board's actions do fall somewhat under that umbrella.

However you call it, they're idiots and their worthless butts should be removed from this important job and replaced with people who have some intelligence and education. In my humble opinion, sigh, roll eyes.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 AM

607 posts, read 1,387,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
OK, let's define Politically Correct:
Now by these definitions, it's clear that the Montgomery County school board is acting in a politically correct manner by avoiding offending certain groups (i.e. the atheists) who have long agitated for an end to the recognition of religious holidays by public institutions.
So they offend many groups (Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Wiccans, etc.) in order not to offend another group (i.e. the atheists?) How is that fair? And couldn't it be argued in court of law that by removing these names, we're in effect, promoting a belief system, (i.e. atheism?) I mean, I thought schools weren't supposed to promote any religion or belief system, be it Christian, Jewish, atheism, etc.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
So they offend many groups (Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Wiccans, etc.) in order not to offend another group (i.e. the atheists?) How is that fair? And couldn't it be argued in court of law that by removing these names, we're in effect, promoting a belief system, (i.e. atheism?) I mean, I thought schools weren't supposed to promote any religion or belief system, be it Christian, Jewish, atheism, etc.
how are they promoting a religion or belief system? They're accommodating religious groups who want/need to take the day off.

Religious holidays go back thousands of years. It's ridiculous to suppose that tradition is going to end any time soon.

I think the majority of Americans accept and want religious days off from school and work. If an atheist or anyone else feels a strong need to work/study on a holiday, let them. Students may feel free to catch up on their homework. Workers may feel free to go in to the office. Heck people do this all the time. What's the biggie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events