Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Apparently we have a CD poster who's moonlighting as a shrink. Anyone who's missed the many articles and features on this issue which have appeared in business and mainstream publications over the past few years should be able to conduct a simple search to "catch up" on current events. Here's a starting point: "mandatory employee health screenings."

Google is your friend.
Why would I google to substantiate someone else's claims? If OP wanted people to take the post seriously, he could have provided better sources and left off the salacious imagery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Don't most insurance companies require some sort of health screening and information before they let you have a policy? So they know how much to charge and all?

There is a huge emotional distance between "anal and vaginal probing" and "getting a complete physical." The article seems purposefully emotive.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My SO just had a wellness test at work. It was just a cholesterol, blood sugar, and heart rate check. Its not required, but they do get some sort of incentive to take it... I forget what. He wouldn't loose his job or his insurance if he didn't take it. He also has co workers who are unhealthy and fail the Christian e co every year. Nothing happens to them, except for the doctor telling them to see their regular doctor. No pills/treatments are prescribed, and no recyclable done. My SO always does it just because it's done during work hours, so it's a little break from the job.

There is no anal probes or vaginal probes. Just a prick on the finger.
I could have so much fun with this but suspension lies in waiting.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
This began for us coinciding with the implementation of Obamacare.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:49 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
This began for us coinciding with the implementation of Obamacare.

Yep, pre surgical testing is way out of hand in this day. I had 20 vials of blood drawn for a simple
out-patient procedure. Who knows what they look for other than what they print in the report?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM

Government sues Honeywell over required testing, fines in wellness program

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/280726482.html

Federal officials are challenging new benefit rules at Honeywell Inc. that create monetary penalties unless employees and spouses take medical tests.

A lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in response to complaints from two Minnesota employees sets up a potential court case over how far employers can go to shift health costs and influence worker behavior.

The agency said in the suit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis, that new health screening and penalties at Honeywell violate the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act.

“Employees will be penalized if they or their spouses do not take the biometric tests,” the complaint said."

Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Don't most insurance companies require some sort of health screening and information before they let you have a policy? So they know how much to charge and all?

There is a huge emotional distance between "anal and vaginal probing" and "getting a complete physical." The article seems purposefully emotive.

One day they may be searching for "crème-filled".

Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I could have so much fun with this but suspension lies in waiting.
Just responding to the claims that OP made stating they were apart of the wellness exams....

Old 11-14-2014, 10:38 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
My employer (a health care facility) does this. If my spouse and I get a wellness exam each year, my employer pays an extra $200 per paycheck of our health insurance premiums. It's about promoting wellness. They don't penalize you based on the results of your exam.

When I worked for them in the past, they were always promoting wellness in other ways - like doing oxygen saturations, blood pressure checks, smoking cessation classes, walking clubs, etc. - all encouraging wellness and free to the employee.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
First let's start off with some facts. Wellness is instituted for many reasons. Doctors have always been reactive instead of proactive. This only increases medical costs risks for the patient when it could be prevented!

What employers are starting to do is have health screenings to be preventative.. At no time does anyone within your company see or know your results.

The wellness check is all things you should be doing on your own anyway! Women should be getting a pap smear, mammogram, annual check up etc. Men should be getting a prostate exam, annual check up etc. This is preventative . So many people just don't go to the doctor until something is wrong and it is too late.

The follow up is to help you get through any issues you have to assist you getting healthy and preventing disease. This helps both the employee get health and reduces costs.

One example that hits close to home is my sister. She works where it is mandatory to have a bio-metric screening every year. Thank God, because they discovered she had leukemia. Had she not had this test, she probably would have gone a very long time without being diagnosed, and possibly dead. It was caught very early and she has been in remission for well over five years. This of course is an extreme case.

Now think if you have high cholesterol, at risk for diabetes, you smoke etc. And your employer says "hey, here are some programs that will help you quit smoking, reduce your diabetes risk.." Why wouldn't you want those FREE programs?? Not only will they make you healthier, but they save you as a person money. Even with health insurance the medications are expensive!! And lead to further diseases and conditions.

Now for the article. You are not required by law to take your employers health insurance. If you don't like it, don't participate. Go elsewhere or pay the premium. The company did nothing wrong. The employee refused to take the test. Fine. Lose your benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events