Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,694,858 times

Advertisements

This is very sad

I feel if the parents were MORE RESPONSIBLE,it wouldnt have happend....

WHY WAS A KID DRIVING THEM ALL NIGHT??? (Totally insane)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,929,105 times
The idea of cramming 8 people into a Tahoe is crazy. Yes you can get it with two bench seats and technically there is seating for 8, but no way would I recommend this type of trip.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,146,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Why does topic headline seem very misleading to me? Sad situation, but definitely not the fault of Disney or their "dream trip". :/
What is misleading? They were on their way to Disney. That poor kid will have to live with this the rest of his life. I wonder how much experience he had driving on expressways ?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,694,858 times
Probably not much.............

Poor kid

Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM

28,878 posts, read 14,238,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Suv's are prone to rollover. That's a fact. They are a danger to people in regular vehicles and to the occupants that are in them. Why they don't make them with lower ground clearance(you don't need high ground clearance to drive on pavement)is beyond me.
In the hands of a an inexperience driver or someone that tries to drive one like a car. Over reacting will cause an issue every time.

It is a sad story for sure but this was a huge mistake by the parents. No seatbelts and leaving a 16 year old at the wheel thru the night.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:48 AM

28,878 posts, read 14,238,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This is very sad

I feel if the parents were MORE RESPONSIBLE,it wouldnt have happend....

WHY WAS A KID DRIVING THEM ALL NIGHT??? (Totally insane)
Exactly.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 AM

20,561 posts, read 19,218,583 times
16 year olds driving cars is a lot more about being legal than it is about being a generally good idea. The statistics are not lying.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
Quote:
Actually majority of cars will not roll over by over simply bt correcting a steering wheel at 60mph. Skid yes...but not roll. They could roll when hitting a hard object. It's simple physics. A suv and pickup truck is top heavy and is way more likely to roll than a car. Period. There's no debate there.
You are 100% incorrect thinking cars are just going to "skid" if overcorrected too much. The lateral G rate for causing a roll over is not that much different between cars and SUVs, and overcorrecting at 60mph is going to cause the car to flip. Anyway, your post suggest a minivan is a better alternative, and they certainly will flip given the same situation.

Quote:
Concluding that suv's are safe because number of deaths have decreased in last 40 years is nonsense. Deaths have decreased due to increased dui enforcement, huge advances in crash safety technology(air bags didn't exist 40 years ago), increases in Commercial driving license/safety enforcement, Increases in driver training requirements for young driver, seatbelt laws. All the things you'd probably be fighting against..
But the premises of your first post that SUVs are a danger, yet you do not provide any statistics backing your statement up, nor do you explain why if they are so dangerous, trends have been showing the opposite. If SUVs were truly a danger on the road, the trends would not be what they are, regardless of the reasons you give.

By the way, I have no idea why you state I am against any of this; where do you derive this from?

Quote:
99% of people do not use suvs for off roading. They are glorified mini vans.
True, butt that is their choice, I am sure you do not use your car's 100% potential all of the time either. But really, it does irk me a bit how so many people get SUVs just for the sale of having one, for the image, makes people who really do use SUVs for their purpose look bad.

Quote:
Anyone who wants to do offroading in majority of suvs has to do major chances to the suspension.
Incorrect, really shows how lacking in knowledge you are regarding off-roading, tell me, how much off-roading experience do you have? Besides off-roading, they can haul and tow more as well than a minivan.

Quote:
Majority of suv's are pure "image". I need something to carry my kids, but don't want a minivan because I don't want people to think I'm a soccer mom, even though that's exactly what I am!
And that is their choice to purchase what they think fits their needs.

Quote:
There should be a law regarding bumper height/ground clearance on suvs used on public highways.
Why just SUVs? Why not all cars? How many accidents/injuries would be prevented by this? Have you even seen the height of these bumpers?

Quote:
This would save countless lives.
How many lives? You have a number? What about other top heavy cars like minivans and passenger vans?

Quote:
Any safety advantage given by extra size in an suv is given away by increased roll over risk. Anything can happen on a highway. You might have to make severe correction at 60mph if the driver next to you is drunk, not paying attention to their blind spot, falls asleep at the wheel, hits a patch of ice, swerves to avoid a deer, has a medical condition like heart attack, is texting on the wheel. Accidents can and DO happen.
How many roll overs happen? You have any numbers? You act like it is a common thing to see everyday. Over correcting at 60mph will cause any car to flip, I have seen enough accidents to know this one. You can just go online and look at the number of passenger cars that have rolled over, even at very low speeds.

Accidents do happen, but your obvious hate towards SUVs clouds your logical reasoning.

Quote:
Extra high bumper height of suv also means death to people in lower vehicles due to the suv overiding the lower car and missing the strong chassis points of the smaller car. 1 in 100 people die in car accidents. Number one cause of death in young people. Everything should be done possible to lower this risk.
So, how many people have been killed due to the bumper height? You have any numbers?

Your 1 in 100 is off, it is more like 1 in 10,000, there are 35,000 people killed a year in the US from auto accidents including pedestrians, there is a population of 360 million, and that does not include people like tourists for example.

Also, what is the bumper height difference between a car, SUV, and a minivan? Do you know?

Additionally;

52% of deaths were in single car accidents.
25% of deaths were in pickups and SUVs (love how they combine that one).
32% of the cars in the US are pickups and SUVs.

I could not find where it shows the statistics that shows specific car models contributions to accidents.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Why why why?? Just horrible. The driver was the only person with his seat belt on and why oh why did the parents allow the 16 year old to be responsible for driving the family to their destination? Were they tired also and decided to let the teenager take his driving shift early? Minus the driver, were they all asleep at that time? Questions questions and bad decisions.

I feel this terrible tragedy could have been avoided if the parents were in control. Regardless, may they all rest in peace.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

First wrong thing was letting a 16yo drive at night in an unfamiliar place. Second thing was not leading by example, and having your seatbelts on.

Poor kid.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:49 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,479,418 times
That poor child who was driving the car. I cannot imagine having to live with the knowledge that my mistakes in the car led to the deaths of half my family. I hope his other parent gets him lots of therapy.

I cannot imagine a scenario where almost no one in the car was wearing a seatbelt. Including the 4-year-old, who should have been in a booster seat. That is STUPID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events