Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:56 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
I don't understand how you can avoid politics in the discussion of current events, some element of it is always there.
The difference is the partisanship. The recent threads that were moved (I report them but try not to respond) were subjects like what do people think of Obama, and an opinion piece about whether "Obama is ditching our country". That is clearly a political opinion/discussion vs a current event. A thread about Ferguson protests and whether or not the National Guard presence helps or hurts is a current events discussion, a thread that argues about whether welfare and liberalism are the cause of unrest in Ferguson is a political discussion.

It is possible clearly for a true current event to be discussed without "partisan jabs" as TOS prohibits, but many people don't care about TOS or whether others can enjoy the forum for what it is intended to be as much as they care about having their opinion heard by as many as possible.

If a child comes home from school with an assignment to write a one page report on a "current event", and they write about their opinion that Obama is driving the country into the ground, wouldn't you as the parent not know enough to tell them that is not what the teacher meant and what a current event actually is?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-22-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 07:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Maybe members need to click on the sticky link for the forum and read it before posting. Perhaps the moderators could also take note of the same sticky as well. I would think that "locking" the thread instead of moving it would get the original member/s to understand what isn't suppose to be posted here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28879964-post1.html
I believe overall, this is exactly the best solution.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Yet another reason why I, as a woman, prefer male-themed messageboards (hunting, cars, etc.). There's always a general thread where anything can be discussed, and men are less interested in playing the control freak by "running to mommy" to "report" adults. They argue (fine with me) or move on.

What a concept.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:34 PM

260 posts, read 326,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The difference is the partisanship. The recent threads that were moved (I report them but try not to respond) were subjects like what do people think of Obama, and an opinion piece about whether "Obama is ditching our country". That is clearly a political opinion/discussion vs a current event. A thread about Ferguson protests and whether or not the National Guard presence helps or hurts is a current events discussion, a thread that argues about whether welfare and liberalism are the cause of unrest in Ferguson is a political discussion.

It is possible clearly for a true current event to be discussed without "partisan jabs" as TOS prohibits, but many people don't care about TOS or whether others can enjoy the forum for what it is intended to be as much as they care about having their opinion heard by as many as possible.

If a child comes home from school with an assignment to write a one page report on a "current event", and they write about their opinion that Obama is driving the country into the ground, wouldn't you as the parent not know enough to tell them that is not what the teacher meant and what a current event actually is?

I started a thread about Obama's approval rating. I feel that people's opinion of Obama is not political, rather current events.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:01 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
I started a thread about Obama's approval rating. I feel that people's opinion of Obama is not political, rather current events.
In reading the TOS, do you think your post (and the responses) fit the terms? The terms are pretty clearly written IMO. An opinion on a politician has to be political, how could it be otherwise?

Old 11-22-2014, 03:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Maybe members need to click on the sticky link for the forum and read it before posting. Perhaps the moderators could also take note of the same sticky as well. I would think that "locking" the thread instead of moving it would get the original member/s to understand what isn't suppose to be posted here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28879964-post1.html
I agree. Locking the thread is probably the best solution.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I agree. Locking the thread is probably the best solution.
That probably would go further to stop the unwanted behavior than simply moving them. Moving the thread doesn't discourage "those posters" from continuing to try....

Old 12-20-2014, 05:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Mods... can you please clean up the Current Events forum. Move or delete all the political posts to the political forum. Hopefully I'm not alone in wanting these moved or gone.

Then feel free to delete this post as well.
It looked pretty good for a week or two after this post but almost exactly one month later and it's getting overrun yet again. I've reported several but honestly there are just too many posts to report. It truly is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events