Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And bad choices made.
Yeah they chose to have PTSD or other mental health issues. Darn.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I wish we could open a few psych facilities back up, but as long as we stand by the idea that we can't confine anyone (anyone) against their will this is just part of life. And when you think about it this kind of thing has always been part of life. I'm not sure "great society" actually means saving everyone from everything so I don't go there.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And bad choices made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Yeah they chose to have PTSD or other mental health issues. Darn.
Most homeless people are doing the best they can. It would break your heart to listen to how hard some of them try.

About six months ago I was reading a C-D thread about a woman who worked three retail jobs and was about to lose her apartment. The transmission went out on her car and so she had to fix that in order to get to her jobs. Then she lost one job after the holidays and her hours were cut at her other two jobs.

She had decided to live in her car and was asking for advice. I was stunned at how many on C-D have done this.

They recommended she make arrangements to bathe everyday and to keep her clothes in locked bins so that she and her clothes didn't soon have that musty smell that comes from living and breathing in a small space. There was advice on how to keep food from going bad when you are depending on ice to keep things cool. Safe places to park. How to deal with predators...

It was enough to break your heart.

Many people are making the best choices they can given their circumstances.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Why wouldn't every bum in cold areas jump on trains to warm areas of the south before it gets cold?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Why wouldn't every bum in cold areas jump on trains to warm areas of the south before it gets cold?
Illegal and dangerous?

This cold-hearted response does not surprise me.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:21 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Illegal and dangerous?

This cold-hearted response does not surprise me.
So freezing to death is better? I'm not saying it as a cold hearted thing, but why would you want to stick around my area when it gets below zero here often? My thoughts, do everything you can to find a more hospitable place to survive. I'll take my odds with trains rather then our terrible winters in Minneapolis.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:26 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Why would anyone in their right mind stay in Duluth, MN come winter? But I was amazed at home many do.

A friend of mine is in an outreach worker in Duluth. She carries cigarettes and a sack of socks and tries to gain enough trust to get them to come into the shelter on the coldest nights.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
They do that quite often, unless they have a good shelter lined up, or have a tent and good sleeping bag.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Instead of shaming the homeless for the strange choices they make, we ought to be ashamed of how we care for those with mental health issues.
"We?"

The escalating costs for housing the mentally ill forced the benevolent collectivist state to close down facilities and dump them into the streets.

As to the source for inflation, again, it's the benevolent collectivist state.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 PM

522 posts, read 694,451 times
Quote:
So freezing to death is better? I'm not saying it as a cold hearted thing, but why would you want to stick around my area when it gets below zero here often? My thoughts, do everything you can to find a more hospitable place to survive. I'll take my odds with trains rather then our terrible winters in Minneapolis.
Should they teleport to Florida? I mean, how do you expect them to get elsewhere with no money? Hitchhiking isn't viable, nobody will pick up someone that looks homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events