U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,524,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
All of us learned to swim by being thrown into the deep end and being told "Sink or swim!" so having a teacher throw us into the water wouldnt have been much different than the punishment we'd have gotten when we got home.
Um, I learned how to swim through swim lessons. And yes, that was way "back in the day". And no, if a teacher threw me in the pool back then and told me to "sink or swim" my mom would have been so far up the school's rear end, they'd be lawyering up before she walked out of the principal's office.

And somehow, I managed to be raised as a respectful, responsible adult without being beaten by all the adults in my life. And in the process, I learned that violence isn't the solution to all one's problems. I can only wonder if this country doesn't have such a fixation on violence and firearms because so many people were raised by the business end of a belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:38 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,693,861 times
Quote:
Im sorry but when i was in school
When my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa was alive, they used to execute people for adultery and witchcraft. Is that relevant today? Nope. So, kindly, shove it. Nobody cares about what it was like in your time. It's what appropriate TODAY that matters.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 PM

16,445 posts, read 16,555,552 times
Are people really this stupid, SMFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 AM

30,699 posts, read 33,467,623 times
This is really disturbing. Fail the girl, don't manhandle her.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,454,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
When my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa was alive, they used to execute people for adultery and witchcraft. Is that relevant today? Nope. So, kindly, shove it. Nobody cares about what it was like in your time. It's what appropriate TODAY that matters.
Which is why this country is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,320,839 times
Children don't make the rules, but I doubt this was in the rules. He had zero right to do what he did. Out of line. I'd be calling an attorney.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,524,055 times
Quote:
Um, no. If you think the country is going to hell in a hand basket, it's because your generation failed to raise decent children. Maybe if you'd spent less time beating them and more time talking to them, the country would be in better shape today.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 6 days ago)

8,133 posts, read 5,817,001 times
This dude just lost it. What an idiot.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 6 days ago)

8,133 posts, read 5,817,001 times
Quote:
This country has always been going to hell in a hand-basket.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,275,536 times
Quote:

Right.

Because we're no longer what we used to be.

And what was that?

A country that enslaved an entire race.
A country that herd another race onto reservations, where they could either die of abuse during the herding or neglect upon arrival.
A country that had no child-labor laws, so children toiled and died in mines and textile mills.
A country where it was fully legal in all 50 states for a man to rape his wife.
A country where a gay person who dared admit it was either killed or imprisoned.

Newsflash: this country, while far from perfect, is better than it has ever been. You're confusing subjective nostalgia for objective reality. Why any rational, thinking person pines for 'the old days' is beyond me.

PS - Doing things a certain way merely because that's how they were done yesterday is a logically nonsensical way of determining how things should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or