Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

My thoughts? There are MULTIPLE Ferguson threads, and there's no need for another.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:43 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
As an African American, I'd tell these White people to go home to their well to do families and stop pretending that they know what it's like to be oppressed. This isn't their fight and they're not helping.
Well, thank goodness for you, white people back in the 50's and 60's didn't have you to tell them to go home. If you studied your history, you'd know that much of the advancement of civil rights was thanks to the fact that it wasn't just a "black thing" anymore. So many whites sympathized and organized and made it about all humans that there was no choice but to invoke change.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
THAT VIDEO by Chris Rock is funny and true!!!!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Quote:
As an African American, I'd tell these White people to go home to their well to do families and stop pretending that they know what it's like to be oppressed. This isn't their fight and they're not helping.
You're not oppressed. The only people oppressing black people are.....get this.....other black people.

If you want to see change YOU change. It's really that simple.

Tell your fellows to stop committing crimes. Tell you peers to stop robbing stores. Stop selling drugs. Stop murdering people (nearly 400 in Chicago just this year, almost all black, almost all committed by blacks).

I'm tired of the rest of society being expected to cater to black people's "needs". Get a job, make your neglected kids sit the hell down in the classroom, and stop F-ing up all the time. Sure it's not every individual, but we all know the statistics.

I'm tired of having to apologize for living a normal, healthy and civil lifestyle. I make ~35k a year, made more in my early 20's in the Army, but on my current salary I can manage a household, take care of a family, have gotten an education, and have somehow managed to stay out of prison my whole life while also not having three b-stard children out of wedlock.

That's not privilege...that's F-ing NORMAL!

And there's no reason to apologize for it either.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
People are not marching against the police, we are marching against the injustice of a cop killing an unarmed boy and not being indicted.

If you read about it, you can learn that the whole "grand jury" situation is fixed in favor of the police. No one was saying, let's convict the cop.
we are saying, he should have a trial. he should not be immune.
You cant say "boy" . YOU'RE A RACISST! shame on you.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
What do African Americans REALLY think about the "WHITE" demonstraters marching "With Them" against the grand jury's decision not to bring charges against this officer?

OMG!!!

Look, it is not a race thing to protest. It is about systematic execution of black men at the hands of law enforcement, vigilantes, or just angry insecure white men. Anyone who thinks that is wrong is welcome to join the protest.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
As an African American, I'd tell you to kindly leave yourself at home because you aren't helping our situation. The Civil Rights movement succeeded because of support across racial lines. White people have been a part of every social change in this country.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 PM

28 posts, read 26,352 times
While I do not agree with a lot of things done/said on either side of this issue, it bothers me that it brings out the worst in people. This incident and the protesting gives the "stereotypical" blacks to loot and do other bad things and it also gives the "stereotypical" racist (undercover or otherwise) white person to make negative blanket comments about blacks. There are PLENTY of people both black and white that are positively protesting, but that gets not nearly as much focus because it doesn't make good news. I think instead of being nasty I think our country should attempt to come together and get to the heart of the matter (will NEVER happen, but wishful thinking). You only care about what directly effects you. Throughout history the average white person has not had to ensure nearly as much as the average person of color (black, asian, hispanic) so they honestly have no reason to protest anything SERIOUSLY (on a wider bigger scale). I do have a positive hope for the future that one day we can all truly come together and not have race be such a big issue in our nation, but that is just me.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
An interesting choice of Martyrs from what I can tell.

The media painted a pretty narrative didn't it though? In every utterance Michael Brown was "unarmed". In every sentence he was a "teen". In every statement he was "young black...etc."

When describing Darren Wilson the media said "White police officer" instead of just police officer. In every opportunity they said "killing" which is a rather strong term. At least "murder" wasn't used often.
All of those adjectives are true. If that is offensive to you... the truth normally does that.

Quote:
When describing the protesters they say: "seeking justice" which is a rather loaded statement that implies that justice somehow wasn't done by a grand jury of 12 who deliberated for months, questioned all witnesses, heard & saw tapes of their original and subsequent testimonies, who saw all of the evidence....and determined that it was indeed justified. Justice was done.
People aren't protesting over this one incident. They are protesting the systematic execution of black males in this country.

Quote:
In every presentation by CNN and MSNBC NOT ONE utterance was made to the fact that Michael Brown had just robbed a convenience store.

Not one mention of him possibly having gone into the police cruiser to assault the officer as some witness and phone called suggested; a fact which was verified on riot night when the prosecutor detailed that this actually did happen. Not only that but the blood on the inside of the vehicle from both gentlemen seems to make this an open and shut case.

So the uninformed and biased blacks of this country and the hipster idiot white kids who think they're out there earning "i love black people" brownie points are just making fools of themselves. Let them riot, let them burn their own shops down. The world was watching....and the world lost sympathy for their cause. There was never much of a cause to begin with.
Your entire argument is based on a strawman argument and a healthy dose of respectability politics.

Quote:
Meanwhile thousands of blacks have killed other blacks since the incident in cities throughout the US, many of them younger than Mr. Brown and yet not one mention of this is made by the mainstream cable media.
Thousands of whites have killed other whites in cities across the United States, yet no one mentions this by mainstream media?

You are missing the point. This is about systematic execution of black males by a slanted criminal justice system. Black on black violence is a separate. It is used to deflect accountability.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
I got a kick out of this.

https://storify.com/betakateenin/white-people-riots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events