Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

Why read the story when some people can simply use the verdict as an excuse to loot and get free alcohol, etc?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think you're misguided about the job. This kid was huge and very powerful. Not everyone we come in contact with is our physical match. Police officers are allowed by law to use force as needed to do their job. That thug was about to over power him and take his gun. At that point it's up to the police officer to utilize what ever tool is in his or her possession to do his or her job. You can try to spin this anyway you want but the facts are the facts. It's a tragic end to a very stupid decision on Michael Brown's choice. The facts are the facts whether the haters want to accept it or not. Again, why aren't they rioting every time some gang banger thug kills one of their own or an innocent child in the hood? The fact that it becomes a black and white issue because the white police officer did what he had to do to survive is pathetic and a huge reflection on the intelligence level of some of these hater protestors. Ignorance breeds ignorance.

Conceding with the grand jury decision on this particular case does not change the fact that blacks are imprisoned more often, and longer than whites for the same crimes. The majority of blacks are in prison for non-violent victimless crimes-that is a disgrace-it is The "New Jim Crow" and meant to hide the effects of globalization and the abandonment of US cities.

There are now more black men in prison than there were ever slaves in this country.

Conceding that Mr. Wilson acted in the best way possible in this particular case does not change the fact that black communities (and some white ones) have been stripped of any real economic or educational opportunity for decades, and Police have waged the longest and costliest war in American history SOLELY in urban minority communities, that have been abandoned by nationless corporations under the guise of "globalization". The War on "Drugs" has done more harm to the black community than any "thug or gangstar" ever could dream of.

Conceding with the grand jury does not change the fact that police across the country are being militarized for what seems like an upcoming war on Americans.

This is why we are seeing protests and will continue to until there is real, tangible change.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think you're misguided about the job. This kid was huge and very powerful. Not everyone we come in contact with is our physical match. Police officers are allowed by law to use force as needed to do their job. That thug was about to over power him and take his gun. At that point it's up to the police officer to utilize what ever tool is in his or her possession to do his or her job. You can try to spin this anyway you want but the facts are the facts. It's a tragic end to a very stupid decision on Michael Brown's choice. The facts are the facts whether the haters want to accept it or not. Again, why aren't they rioting every time some gang banger thug kills one of their own or an innocent child in the hood? The fact that it becomes a black and white issue because the white police officer did what he had to do to survive is pathetic and a huge reflection on the intelligence level of some of these hater protestors. Ignorance breeds ignorance.
That's why I've always been extremely cautious around women cops. Since I am big and black, I have to assume they would immediately just shoot me if they thought I was a threat. No sudden moves, no hands in pockets and I always keep in their view until I leave the area. Oh yeah, I am a law abiding citizen with no record. Some big wooly, cornbread and pinto bean eatin' steroid shootin' good ole boy cop that's bigger then me? Nah, I'm not scared of them. They'd be more likely to want to rassle or just straight up whoop my ass if I ever got in a tussle with one.

I'm just joking of course, mostly...but when you are big and black you have to at least explore the possibility in your mind occasionally. People like you think as soon as a cop sees a wild black "animal" on the loose, the use of deadly force is authorized and encouraged - when he probably should have just waited for backup. Walking in the street, shoplifting and disrespecting an officer are not punishable by death.

However, the grand jury couldn't come to a 9 vote decision to let it go to trial. It doesn't mean the Officer is innocent or followed proper procedure.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? I just checked some of them are more than 20 miles apart. That's hardly a few miles when you have to rely on public transportation. Even if you have a car, that's quite a drive more than 40 miles round trip to go for a low paying job.

Regardless, you have a job that is possibly within walking distance, now you're supposed to have a long commute on public transportation because of this. These aren't big paying jobs, to have to spend a good part of your paycheck to get to a different location 20 miles or more away simply isn't worth it.
20-40 miles? There is one 2.5 miles from the one burned down, another one 3.2 miles away, three that are about 9 miles away... Yeah you can keep going further and further out, but to get to an Autozone 20 miles away, you would have to pass up at least 14 others that are closer.

But hey, you do what you have to do to keep a job. I'm not saying its the best situation for those involved, but hopefully they work for decent people who will at least try to help them out. I live a little over 13 miles from Ferguson, and I know people who work at the grocery store a block from my house who live in Ferguson. I don't know where you live, but here its not at all uncommon to have to commute to work. I would think very few people live within walking distance to where they work.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 AM

21 posts, read 34,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Why is it when a black person is killed by the police they riot and call it race related and then the blacks all riot and loot and burn things. But when a black person kills a white police officer it's ok we're are the riots when this happens, why don't the whites riot and loot. I'll tell you why because we are civilized and we do not use a killing as an excuse to steal things.

I had to sign in after years of inactivity to address this comment. What in the **** is wrong with you. Are you living in a ****ing vacuum. Did every black person in america riot in every city? No. And to act as if whites have never rioted or never looted is absolutely ridiculous. What is happening in Ferguson as far as the riots is being brought about by those particular black people there in Ferguson. Why group us altogether? That is so small minded. Are all white people rich, or wealthy? Do they all only commit white collar crimes because they all have professional jobs? Any time I hear about a serial killing or mass killing should I presume they are white? No. I'm black and aware that the actions of few do not necessarily represent the actions of many. I don't condone what they are doing in Ferguson, at all. You are ignorant beyond all comprehension if you believe we as a people who share the same skin color rally behind every black social injustice issue. We do not. Many are divided. Most of us are shaking our head at what is going on in Ferguson, just like you.

I feel like the officer did what I would of done. But I am not a cop. Were there other ways it could of been handled, probably so. That can be said for every situation at any point when faced with a heat of the moment decisions. Do I think that his actions represented good police work from the start? No. I would not try to cut off a potential robbery suspect in close quarters with my vehicle. That is absolutely ridiculous. This wasn't a vehicle stop. This was a potentially dangerous suspect. The officer didn't know if he had a gun or what on him that he could of pulled out in that close proximity and fire before the officer put the car in park.

But bad police work doesn't equal an indictment. I'll never understand why people just don't comply with the police. My attitude is this: when pulled over or what not, i'm trying to go home as quickly as possible. So, i'm not smug, condescending, or rude. I don't have time to stand up for my rights with a person who has a gun and could be having a bad day.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
No, I don't have much experience with guns. That's just not something I have an interest in. However, that doesn't make me some naive little poster on the internet who doesn't know how things work "in the real world." My husband was a sharp shooter in the military and participated in William Tell competitions regularly.

Anyone with decent gun skills could manage not to shoot to kill. Rarely is the intended target so far away that the only thing you can hit is the torso. A good shot to a knee or leg will just as easily get a criminal target down so they can be arrested.

If you can't understand that, then I'm glad you aren't cops.
When you go to a shooting range, nobody aims for the leg or knee. Especially at close range you go for body area.

And M.Brown was under the influence, weed does ignore pain and he wasn't going down with just a few bullets.

What happened to parenting? Why is the parent not saying anything about what his little boy is out taking cigs from stores and bullying the store clerk?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
People who bring up "black on black crime" generally speaking don't give a **** about it just use it as a deflection tactic against the topic at hand.
It is an obvious topic that needs to be addressed. More blacks die by black shooters than whites. M.Brown's death is nothing compared to crime ridden streets out here in Newark, NJ.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
No, I don't have much experience with guns. That's just not something I have an interest in. However, that doesn't make me some naive little poster on the internet who doesn't know how things work "in the real world." My husband was a sharp shooter in the military and participated in William Tell competitions regularly.

Anyone with decent gun skills could manage not to shoot to kill. Rarely is the intended target so far away that the only thing you can hit is the torso. A good shot to a knee or leg will just as easily get a criminal target down so they can be arrested.

If you can't understand that, then I'm glad you aren't cops.
Even if you managed to shoot him in the leg, they can still shoot back at you. None of us here thus far are cops, but until you're willing to follow the same procedures you set forth yourself (ie. go out on patrol, encounter a suspect, you sense s/he might be a danger but you're legally only allowed to shoot him in the leg, from 20 to 40 feet away lest you be sued), then we can talk all we want, but law enforcement that actually does the work gets the say.

Also, not all cops have that level of training. I'm sure they wouldn't be able to hold a candle to a military sharpshooter. If you want to train them to that level, that'll cost even more time and money.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I
The Clinton Administration worked hard to discredit Mayor Giuliani, and to this day we still see people bad mouthing him despite his many accomplishments in cleaning up Times Square and other neighborhoods, standing up to the city unions and holding down costs and bringing down crime.
He cleaned up the city,true.

But what is missing is that he really did not have any effect on the number of blacks killed.
What he forgot to add is that many blacks relocated during that time.

Those black men lives he saved probably moved to Atlanta

Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Quote:
While I won't argue that this has indeed happened, I think it's been "reversed" by now, hasn't it?

I would think that now there are many more opportunities and resources for these certain communities and has been for at least 20 years or so.

At what point does the cycle start to change?

Not being snarky but this is really the only way I see there being "racial equality" (or at least as close as we're likely to get).
Wellfare and affirmative action, if that's what you mean, are band aids. The big machine is still running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events