Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
To be specific, those are Democrats in the picture of the KKK - the militant arm of the Democrat party. Not a white thing really, because the white Republicans were busy passing civil rights legislation during that time frame.

History can be strange, to say the least.
People can be strange, too. Especially when they fail to examine the full lifecycle of a racist movement, such as the KKK. Or the Republican or Democratic parties.

Surely you remember how the racist Democrats (Strom Thurmond ring a bell?) left the Democratic Party for the Republican Party over the civil rights legislation passed by, and signed into law, by Democratic controlled House, Senate and WH. Particularly the Civil Rights Act of 1964? These Southern Dems were racists as Democrats and when they flipped parties, they were racists as Republicans. And that is their party now.

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Why read the story when some people can simply use the verdict as an excuse to loot and get free alcohol, etc?

I watched a couple hours of "live streams" shot by protesters last night. The thing that struck me was how there was at one point, a cop on a PA telling people to "get off the street"... only there wasn't anyone *in* the street.. then a volley of teargas.. landing on the sidewalks! not one or two cans, but half a dozen.. (so it wasn't like a "stray" can landed on the sidewalk)..

Also saw a fairly significant contingent of masked men dressed in black *without* badges displayed, carrying pepperball guns and orange shotguns.. I just don't think there's any reason to be shooting anything at people who aren't threatening you directly.. and if they *are* threatening you, you send them lead, not pepperballs or rubber bullets.

Also saw the cops form a line in the sand - with one of their cars on the other side of that line. Of course, someone smashed the windshield & another idiot jumped on the hood.. but despite there being hundreds of cops standing around there, no one bothered to *move* the freaking cop car.. and of course, an hour or two later it was torched.. ( and CNN was able to film in front of the burning car).. it really *looked* like they intended for that car to be burned.

I personally think the subject chosen for the protests was an awful example - the shooting may well have been fully justified..

The people there have a right to protest, even if I don't agree with it. At some point in the future, I might feel a need to carry a picket sign in front of city hall, and if I were to get shot at with rubber-bullets or pepperballs, I could see getting really *really* angry. I'm prolly not the type of guy to steal a menu-display from a McDonalds, but there might be one less Mrap in the wild in that case.

625 posts, read 902,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Thus proving it's possible to live in the greatest city in the world and not read the news!

The day after 9/11, Giuliani was everywhere, rallying the people and showing the world that New Yorkers were heroes and not cowards.

He did a great job as mayor, would have possibly beat Hilary for Senate, but was hounded out of the race by her husband who abused his office, and by people in his personal life.

Sorry you can't recognize a great man when you see one. And your current mayor is a joke. Not off topic.
Great man!!! Giuliani didn't do a darn thing except show up at the sight. As mayor, he's expected to do just that - show up and show face. If Giuliani was so great, why did the IAFF urged people not to vote for him during the presidential bid. Who feels it knows it. Great man! please. If anything, he used New Yorkers pain as pathway to enter the presidential race. Talk to first responders and their families. I'm sure they can give you scores of stories.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
There is a reason why no pictures of Brown are shown outside of the one off angle face picture of Brown wearing a hat.

Brown was not a child, he was an adult.

He was not some small teenager who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he picked the place and knew the time. He wasn't where he was by accident.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridian View Post
I would've waited for backup and not confronted them, but then again, I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to this type of stuff - which is why I don't belong in law enforcement. I'd also run the other direction if I saw a bunch of big dudes raping a girl, so go figure.

As both a minority and a taxpayer, I'm really glad we have cops that are willing to do what I couldn't bring myself to do. I'm sure Officer Wilson fired in anger (he had to have some emotion when firing, and at least it wasn't with a smile), but he also fired in self-defense and justice and he has my full support.

I was raised to respect your elders, obey the law, study hard.. and for god's sakes, don't reach into a police officer's car and punch him once, let alone twice!!! There are serious and fatal consequences to suffer for doing things such as these, and the perpetrator only has him/herself to blame.

Thank you. You understand the bottom line and if more people were raised like you instead of glorifying the thug mentality the world would be a better place. One could only guess what was going through Officer Wilson's mind the moment he pulled the trigger. If it were me I'd be terrified until the threat was over. When you're in the fight or flight mode I doubt you'd have time to feel angry. You're just trying to survive.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Are you trying to justify killing an unarmed man? Man I have heard it all. You people, just don't get it do you. First of all white people in general are taught to fear black people especially black men so MOST not ALL white folks already have a preconceived notion in there head that black men are a threat I don't care if his pants are sagging or if he has on a three piece suit and you know it. I don't agree with some the actions of a few either in Ferguson either but don't make it about that. The bottom line people are hurt and downright mad because there was a clear injustice done. I hope the friends you are talking about are not "token negroes" and I'll just leave that at that. "RACE CARD" how in the hell do you think we even have a so called "race card" to play? I wonder how that was obtained. If being black was never a issue in the FIRST PLACE we would not have a race card to play in the first place, now would we? Do you smell what I'm cooking. Also I'll dare try to compare the UNJUSTIFIED killings by the police of UNARMED black men to that of whites there is NO COMPARISON and any reasonable knows this. I can go down the list Sean Bell, Mike Brown, Victor White who supposedly shot himself while HANDCUFFED behind his back, the guy in New York who was choked to death and when he said he could not breath they kept on etc. I can go on an on. You need to get your head out your ass partner.

Stop with the unarmed man crap! The guy was twice the size of the officer and slap the hell out of him and threatened him.

Are you not aware that an unarmed person can kill or seriously harm another person?

Wake up and stop having such a myopic attitude!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 AM

639 posts, read 820,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I doubt it.

No reason to try to justify that. The grand jury did for everyone that thinks it was justified.

Are you trying to be a smart ass? Anyone with a piece of brain knows this whole ordeal regarding getting justice for Mike Brown was NEVER going to happen. All of those goverment officials were all in cahoots to get that officer off come hell or high water. The whole process was flawed.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 AM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You obviously have very little experience with firearms.

What is the largest target area on a body? The torso.

What does a firearm do after being fired? Recoil or "kick" up.

It is difficult enough to be a stationary shooter trying to hit a stationary target. Now imagine a moving shooter trying to hit a moving target factored in with stress/injury/adrenaline.

It's not like the movies where people can be shot in their leg and they immediately stop fighting. You don't shoot and wait to see if the threat has stopped and see if you have to shoot again.

And even if someone was shot in the leg, the bullet could hit the femoral artery and they would bleed out.

Stop believing what Hollywood tells you.
Ditto

Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Are you trying to justify killing an unarmed man? Man I have heard it all. You people, just don't get it do you. First of all white people in general are taught to fear black people especially black men so MOST not ALL white folks already have a preconceived notion in there head that black men are a threat I don't care if his pants are sagging or if he has on a three piece suit and you know it. I don't agree with some the actions of a few either in Ferguson either but don't make it about that. The bottom line people are hurt and downright mad because there was a clear injustice done. I hope the friends you are talking about are not "token negroes" and I'll just leave that at that. "RACE CARD" how in the hell do you think we even have a so called "race card" to play? I wonder how that was obtained. If being black was never a issue in the FIRST PLACE we would not have a race card to play in the first place, now would we? Do you smell what I'm cooking. Also I'll dare try to compare the UNJUSTIFIED killings by the police of UNARMED black men to that of whites there is NO COMPARISON and any reasonable knows this. I can go down the list Sean Bell, Mike Brown, Victor White who supposedly shot himself while HANDCUFFED behind his back, the guy in New York who was choked to death and when he said he could not breath they kept on etc. I can go on an on. You need to get your head out your ass partner.
I don't know any white people who were taught to fear black men? Who put that thought in your head ? Was it a grandparent who actually experienced the horrors of the Jim Crow type stuff in the south?

My good friend ( who is not a token, by the way) had to go to a segregated prom. in The Nineties! But that was in the south.

Times have changed. Attitudes have evolved for most people. Being pissed off about the past and thinking that people are trained to be afraid of you is no way to live.

Are there ignorant people out there? Yes. But they are the minority.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,466 times
Maybe they didn't want to burn down their own crap.Maybe they couldn't burn down the white businesses because the streets were all blocked off.

LOL. JUST KIDDING FOLKS.

I hope they didn't touch Sweetie Pie's restaurant. I love her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events