Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
. I'm in a city that is over 70% black and as of right now there are no riots or property damage because of it. Today is business as usual.
Looks like Detroit has started protesting for "justice " ...

More brilliance, lets block a major interstate.

Protesters march on I-75 freeway in Detroit - Fox 2 News Headlines

Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Going to Switzerland????

Wonder how her potty mouth will do over there!!??
She was there last week talking to the UN...

Old 11-25-2014, 05:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Any chance of hearing a few apologies from Brown's supporters to the poor small business owners (many of whom are black) who have been looted, terrorized, or to the employees who won't have a job to go to? Not only is there a pretty resounding silence - we hear the very antithesis from Brown's stepfather. So much for the underdog.
I feel horrible for the barber shop owner interviewed today. He was teary-eyed, talking about how he had no other way to feed or provide for his family.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
One less thug. These are not rational thinking and acting people here. I expected no less in what they have done.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It doesn't matter if he was a good boy or not.

I doesn't matter?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
20-40 miles? There is one 2.5 miles from the one burned down, another one 3.2 miles away, three that are about 9 miles away... Yeah you can keep going further and further out, but to get to an Autozone 20 miles away, you would have to pass up at least 14 others that are closer.

But hey, you do what you have to do to keep a job. I'm not saying its the best situation for those involved, but hopefully they work for decent people who will at least try to help them out. I live a little over 13 miles from Ferguson, and I know people who work at the grocery store a block from my house who live in Ferguson. I don't know where you live, but here its not at all uncommon to have to commute to work. I would think very few people live within walking distance to where they work.

Look, you live in the area I don't, so you're more in the know. I went on the Autozone website and the ones that popped up were in places like St. Peters, Manchester, which showed a driving distance of 20 miles or more.

I think we can both agree it sucks for these people to have to do a longer commute, which in the long run is going to cost them money to get to a different location. And for how long?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I don't understand the need to destroy and steal others' property. Those business owners have nothing to do with what happened and the rioters are just making their town more poverty stricken, dangerous and unattractive. Whether you agree with the Grand Jury's decision or not shouldn't be an excuse to act like thieving trash. If those thieves were gunned down while in the process of destroying a business or stealing from it would they scream "injustice" too? I'm well aware that there really is inequality in the way the law is applied to people of color, but the way to resolve it is not by looting and destroying. The only thing they've succeeded in doing is costing their city money, having less businesses to serve their community, an even stronger and harsher police presence and even more distrust and disgust on all sides. I feel sorry of the good law abiding citizens of Ferguson because they are being tarred with the same brush as these hoodlums.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
The Surgeon General has determined that too many posts about Ferguson are hazardous to your health, not to mention a little boring

He recommends that people, as an alternative, talk about who will win Dancing with the Stars next week

Thank you.....

The finale is not next week, it's tonight! I hope Janel and Val or Sadie and Mark win.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have three adult kids. They were raised to know the difference between right and wrong and to respect authority. They don't act like thugs. They don't rob stores. They don't assault store owners. They don't taunt police. They wouldn't be in this situation. And if they grew up to be thugs despite the way I raised them, I can honestly tell you that no, I would not want all hell to break loose. There would be no rage, only sadness. If my kid did that, I would apologize to the officer. And I'm not just saying that. And I am a hell of a lot better parent than Michael Brown's mother and stepfather.

His body was left on the street for hours because that's what happens when there is a scene where forensics are needed. It's ridiculous for people to say/think the police just left him in the street for no reason. Moving him would have destroyed evidence. THEN people like you would be screaming about the police trying to alter the crime scene. I thought everyone knew that everything had to stay just like it is until the crime scene is processed.

There's no way I'd even think about going after a cop's gun! I know several, and still wouldn't think of doing that - even if as some joke. Nope, not going to happen.

As for the part in bolded text. When someone gets hit and killed by a train, the coroner is called. Some localities the coroner may have an office in the same area, other cities the coroner has to travel maybe from one end of the state to the other, and they often travel in their own vehicles. Depending on time of day, they may also get stuck in traffic jams. Depending on where on the tracks the incident occurred, sometimes the non-involved train and vehicular traffic may be cleared but other times, even the non-involved have to wait it out. That can very well be 1 hr, 2 hours or even longer. The waiting for even an hour, can seem like an eternity.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I wonder what would happen if a black police officer had shot this thug and there was no grand jury indictment? Would there still be rioting and protesting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events