Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,589,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I think u "news people" scrutinize things a bit too much! Maybe let the readers decide if the story was worth printing. I can't read a paper nowadays or watch any "news" because they're all the same! Boring, promote & maintain racism and teach nothing or bring nothing interesting to the reader/viewers attention.
That is "the readers deciding if the story is worth printing." The reason papers print that crap is because that's what people pay to read.

Believe me, if the majority of the people who read newspapers wanted to read better stories as opposed to the Kardashian crap, that's what the papers would print. If a paper prints stories that their readers don't want to read, the readers stop buying the paper, and the paper goes broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,262,759 times
When I was still in journalism school I did an internship with a daily newspaper. One of the first jobs they gave me was to "man" the public desk, a counter in the lobby where people brought information they thought should be printed in the paper. I also answered the phone responding to general calls to the paper. When I didn't have any public to deal with, I went through all the mail that came in.

My first day on the desk was after a nearby major hurricane had caused several days of unusually heavy rain to disturb the area. The first person who came through the door was a normal-looking middle-aged man. He told me he wanted to be interviewed because he had important information he wanted to impart about the recent rain. When I pressed for details he told me that NASA's space rockets had broken holes into the ozone layer that protects the earth and the rain was coming in through those holes. If you want to know why reporters don't take news tips from the public, blame it on that guy.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,231,908 times
So much news is repetitive. I would like to see more news my major media outlets that actually helps people instead of dumbing them down.

The only time I ever thought that I had an interesting story was when I was fired from a behavioral health insurance company for having a behavioral health disorder after having my very reasonable ADA request denied by my company. Another person at this same company either resigned or was let go because she took too much sick time after she was sexually assaulted in her home. No empathy or compassion for their employee.

This then reminded me of a friend who worked for a non-profit serving mentally ill. That company rejected her ADA request to "stay out of ERs until not experiencing panic attacks." These were due to her PTSD and ER related anxiety less than a week after her 19 yo brother's suicide. (She found him shot in head and brought to ER.) Request denied and she quit because she couldn't cope.

I didn't try to bring these stories to anyone. (Ie, reasonable mental health ADA requests being denied by companies who are supposed to serve the mentally ill.) I was too busy 1. being depressed over losing my job and 2. trying to look for another job. Which as you can imagine, takes a loooong time when you have a disability that no one wants to accommodate.

This of course ties into the larger story of Social Security Disability claims being on the rise due to people just not being hired. PBS did a special about ~2013.

I still think someone needs to do a story about reasonable ADA requests not being accommodated. The employer only needs to state one "magic sentence" and they are not required to accommodate.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,049,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I think u "news people" scrutinize things a bit too much! Maybe let the readers decide if the story was worth printing. I can't read a paper nowadays or watch any "news" because they're all the same! Boring, promote & maintain racism and teach nothing or bring nothing interesting to the reader/viewers attention.

Exactly! I would say that 80% of what's in the newspaper is not of interest to me. Everything is so formulaic, hence the reason why the media has such a vested interest in what stories stay popular.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Get a lawyer locally that has reporters there on a pat my back basis. Its common everywhere.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,936,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Question....what if it's about corruption? There is a website about it for those who are experiencing
this but it's a discussion forum encouraging people to write their senators and congressmen which
more or less equals nothing.
It IS about corruption, at least partly.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:02 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,936,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I am a journalist. I get this everyday. No disrespect, but most everybody has a "story" they think is newsworthy and thinks ought to be in the papers. If I had a dollar for every time I've had somebody say, "You should do a story on this!" But there are many things that go into making a "story" newsworthy. I'd say 90 percent do not have enough widespread public interest to be "newsworthy." So ask yourself: What is the PUBLIC INTEREST level of your story? Is it a story that might help other people? Is it a feel-good "people story" about somebody or something unique to your area? Or is it just something that happened to you that you find curious or odd?

Even if the story is worth looking into, it's quite often impossible for a reporter to simply drop everything and look into it. We're very busy people. There's not enough time in day or week already to follow up on every news tip, so we must choose the ones that are most important and have the widest reader interest.

If you'd like to message me privately with details of your story, I'd be happy to let you know if I think it's plausible.

Also, as others have said, it is unlikely that the Boston Globe or Boston Herald are going to "bite" on a cold story lead. Major metro newspapers seldom do. Your better bet is to reach out to a small local community paper. The bigger papers end up getting a lot of their stories from the small suburban papers, believe it or not.

NEWSBOY
PM sent, no response.
Will you please send me some feedback?
At least point me in the right direction.

Some other great suggestions on this thread, btw.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,994,110 times
Make it an interesting story.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,565,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
When I was still in journalism school I did an internship with a daily newspaper. One of the first jobs they gave me was to "man" the public desk, a counter in the lobby where people brought information they thought should be printed in the paper. I also answered the phone responding to general calls to the paper. When I didn't have any public to deal with, I went through all the mail that came in.

My first day on the desk was after a nearby major hurricane had caused several days of unusually heavy rain to disturb the area. The first person who came through the door was a normal-looking middle-aged man. He told me he wanted to be interviewed because he had important information he wanted to impart about the recent rain. When I pressed for details he told me that NASA's space rockets had broken holes into the ozone layer that protects the earth and the rain was coming in through those holes. If you want to know why reporters don't take news tips from the public, blame it on that guy.
Now some media outlets pay for stories like that. Case in point...TMZ.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:36 PM

421 posts, read 408,627 times
Quote:
Name whites as racists and you will get somewhere.
that's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events