Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo3210 View Post
I believe that, once something is shown to cause cancer in lab animals, it is a bona-fide threat, hence the labels that were enforced to be on the can.....
That's not really true. The government is so full of bureaucrats they can't protect us from real dangers and warn us of stuff that's not really that bad. Can you really trust anyone who says the foundation of your diet should be carbs?

The person who came up with the lab test saying saccharine caused cancer also found that if you fed a rat similar amounts of water, it also caused cancer.

Not saying it is good for you either (actually some of the acids in soda are not great for you) but its far from the evil cancer giver some people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
DO you really think that something would be consumed by so many people, for so many years, if it really were dangerous?
Please tell me this is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Armory, that's an Aspartame Detox Center in that link!.....WTF?

Had no idea one existed.....and they sell this in groceries everywhere in the USA and Canada, like this
all american thing, in Coke Zero and such?

It is like dumping a crunched pill of lorazepam in a bottle, and drinking it, but worse...at least Lorezapam meds are regulated and sold as anti-anxiety drugs......

Evidentally Coke and other soda companies paid for all the studies saying people are silly for worrying about
Aspartame, the whole, pshawww, its on scopes.com as an urban myth deal.....

Per my opening study at the beginning of this thread, this was from a gov't "National Institute of Health" study...I presume they did not get paid off by the soda corporations....

Okay, so first we find that hormones in milk cause 9-year-old girls to prematurely hit puberty, and now we find that Aspartame ills are hardly an urban myth whatsoever......

Plain water is looking awful good right now! LOL!
I had a siezure after drinking a - one - diet coke years ago. I am well aware of the poison. I avoid it as if it were liquid fire.

http://http://jama.jamanetwork.com/a...ticleid=654707

Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
=BTW, the prior Saccharine, which TAB, the first diet soda, was made of, caused Cancer, and tasted like crap....not sure which of these deals was/is worse..........
The only true statement here is that saccharine tastes like crap. Tab was not the first diet soda, nor does saccharine cause cancer.

Quote:
Makes you wonder if these are the reasons women are getting breast cancer at such young ages and so often..you never saw pink ribbons in the 50's/60's.....same with type 2 diabetes
Surely you're aware that heightened education and publicity is at play here?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
I found it interesting that Coke stock, as well as soda in general, has cratered recently, namely because of sales being so down.

While much of this is due to the avoidance of sugar, per diabetes prevention and weight issues, I wonder how much coke sales are down also because of the public's awareness of health issues per Diet Soda, especially Aspartame?

I, personally, drink a ton of it. On average, an entire two-liter, a day, every day........

This for many years.......I hear more and more about Aspartame issues, and just saw a medical abstract from a very reputable gov't institution, the National Institute of Health...

This is pulled verbatim from the abstract, as follows:

Anecdotal reports suggest that some people suffer neurologic or behavioral reactions in association with aspartame consumption. Since phenylalanine can be neurotoxic and can affect the synthesis of inhibitory monoamine neurotransmitters, the phenylalanine in aspartame could conceiveably mediate neurologic effects...

Not sounding so good....

Phenylalaline is mentioned often in the article......so often I had to look up what THAT was, specifically...

again, as follows:

L-Phenylalanine is produced for medical, feed, and nutritional applications, such as aspartame, in large quantities by utilizing the bacterium Escherichia coli, which naturally produces aromatic amino acids like phenylalanine. The quantity of L-phenylalanine produced commercially has been increased by genetically engineering E. coli, such as by altering the regulatory promoters or amplifying the number of genes controlling enzymes responsible for the synthesis of the amino acid.[18]

So, turns out that Aspartame is made out of this phenylalaline, which is in turn made by genetically engineered bacteria(that in itself bad enough)......Phenylalaline turns out to have neurological components(in other words, it directly effects your noggin(brain)....

from the article:

Phenylalanine uses the same active transport channel as tryptophan to cross the blood–brain barrier. In excessive quantities, supplementation can interfere with the production of serotonin.

In other words, this thing(Aspartame) crosses the blood-brain barrier(usually only tranquilizers and anti-depressants do that)......

To sum, Aspartame directly affects the brain.......and we have many millions consuming this daily, including myself.....

Looks like I have just drunk my last diet soda...

Here is the article/abstract..

Possible neurologic effects of aspartame, a widely used food additive. - PubMed - NCBI
The abstract says nothing. What is anecdotal evidence? Is it statistically significant? Have double blind clinical trials been conducted? In Humans? In Mice?

They also use words like "suggest", "can", "conceivably". This is not science.

Also, I'd venture to guess that as aspartame has been approved by the FDA since 1981 and there have been no definitive studies linking it to anything (hence, it's still on the market) that it's probably OK.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 AM

307 posts, read 224,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's not really true. The government is so full of bureaucrats they can't protect us from real dangers and warn us of stuff that's not really that bad. Can you really trust anyone who says the foundation of your diet should be carbs?

The person who came up with the lab test saying saccharine caused cancer also found that if you fed a rat similar amounts of water, it also caused cancer.

Not saying it is good for you either (actually some of the acids in soda are not great for you) but its far from the evil cancer giver some people think.

Please tell me this is a joke.
You gave me a good laugh with your last statement. Thanks! The only issue is that apartame is bad for you. Thennnn, you have to have the water analyzed because of all the garbage in it. People are drinking water with pcbs in it but it has been determined by someone who doesn't want to scare people to be safe. I drink it filtered with a good filtration system and that doesn't make me immune from what gets through. We left NY just as they were considering using water from the Hudson - downstream from where GE dumped pcbs . Friends from there said there is one company that's providing water for small communities from the Hudson.

I've called the government corporate-America for years. Someone yesterday just called it a corporation. Corporations make products to make money despite the cost to humans.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM

91 posts, read 103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Coke has a new diet drink that uses stevia - Coke Life or something.
I heard about that, however, not in the USA.....

Get this, Nutrasweet(now defunct), the former manufacturer of Aspartame in sodas, sued the manufacturers of Stevia asking for FDA studies...that tells it all......

It is essentially organic for all intents, coming from a shrub......Japan started using it in the 70's, and it is in all their sodas, including Coke and Pepsi sold out there....My understanding is that it is essentially a herb, so has healing qualities like weed, per anti many things it modulates.....

Coke, of course, makes its own version, with additives so they can copyright it and pull a Monsanto, under the name Rebiana, which it sells in Sweden for coffee and other uses in stores......they want to eventually get rid of Aspartame and replace it with Rebiana...

Why they are dragging their @ss taking so long doing this I have no idea..perhaps they have a long term contract with the Aspartame people..who knows?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just imagine the effect on someone taking an Anti depressent, or mood stabalizer, or one of the anti psychotics with this added to the mix. But I doubt anyone in the psych community tells them not to drink artificually sweetened products.

Personally I think that set of drugs needs to be regulated and given out MUCH more carefully than they are too.
Brilliant point, Nightbird..

Never thought of that...someone drinking a neurotransmitter that goes past the blood-brain barrier in diet soda while on conventional neurological meds.....the combo can't be good, I imagine...

Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Drinking bottled 44 Oz + of soda on empty stomach guarantees substantial stomach pain and suffering even for the healthy ones. Some brands could be used to torture people, it hurts so bad.

It is amazing with all the countless possibilities American soft drink industry knows nothing but phosphoric acid based swill. It is truly amazing workings of the invisible hand.
RememberMee...also, look at all the other crap in any soda.......I'm so happy the soda industry is tanking now.....people finally figured it out and moved on from the same.....

Well, they had a good 114 years(whenever that time was when they had actual Cocaine in it in the late 1800's till now)...remember, Coke actually was originally sold by druggists as a drug/tonic, only available there....now everything makes sense..

Many drugs had Cocaine back when, even cough drops.....Again, Coke was originally patented as a drug, because it had effects that modulated the brain.....and still does(Aspartame)...

Old 12-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Aspartame is the methyl ester of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. It is hydrolyzed nearly immediately once in the body to its constituent amino acids and methanol. Unless you have a metabolic disorder of some sort, it is completely safe in small doses. Any good source of protein will contain more amino acids and any citrus fruits or even apples will metabolize to many times more methanol.

Source: I teach biochemistry and metabolism to aspiring doctors
Only thing I don't get, ChemistryGuy, is that that Institute of Health abstract seemed to infer that Phenylalanine breaches the blood-brain barrier, which indicates it is similar to a neurotransmitter, in that the cell walls of the brain membrane recognizes it as such and allows it to pass. Phenylalanine is said in the same study to modulate the brain's activity once in.

Regardless of the small number of people who may be extremely adverse to Phen-, who go into seizures(and would 1% not be enough reason to ban this?), this appears to cross the blood-brain barrier of all who consume this. To sum, this Phen- goes directly to our brain, ala the -Pam family of anti-anxiety drugs....

Do they teach at your med school that it's okay to ingest substances often and daily(which many do with diet sodas) when a chemical is acting within and directly modulating your brain, which obviously is highly fine tuned/complex/delicate?

Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nah. I've been drinking it since it was created. No issues whatsoever.
DO you really think that something would be consumed by so many people, for so many years, if it really were dangerous?

Phenylalanine in diet soda: Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic
Absolutely, especially when they are unaware of the damage it does. Ever wonder about the fact that so many people are on meds? Who knows what effects Aspartame and such does do sensitive brain structures over time? It is hard to prove, but just the fact that this substance breaches the blood/brain barrier(which very few substances do, otherwise our brain would be like a leaking seive, and be breached withing a few days of toxins and substances), speaks volumes..

This has a long-term effect on people, over time. The brain again is quite delicate, with very fine balanced neurotransmitters, and does not take much miscalibration per too many chemicals or the wrong ones to do damage, on any level...

Some studies do indeed psshaww the dangers...keep in mind that the soda industry funds many studies, as fed funds for independent studies have been cut back hugely, much more now than before...It would not surprise me whatsoever that
a soda consortium funded partly or entirely many whitewashed studies....

With the PR backlash itself of the negative aspects of Aspartame, and alternatives that are natural such as Stevia already used in all sodas in Japan, including Coke products, I think it simply asinine marketing to continue to sell this, if nothing else...this might also be a good reason that Coke stock has been down for so long.....I would think simply switching to Stevia would bring it up a few points..

You can read about investors bailing out of COKE stock here..

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/21/inve...earnings-miss/

BTW, I can definitely think of a few other dangerous things millions of people consume in the USA daily, for many years, that are worse..

Last edited by galileo3210; 12-09-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events