Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 AM

37,489 posts, read 45,772,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You do know that the FDA has previously banned Aspertame on two different occassions right? Research constantly changes which is why it is an on again off again. Your earlier comment about completely trusting the FDA is what is cracking everyone up. You never know, in 20 years it could be known to be extremely bad for you in which it will be banned.......again.
No, the chicken little mentality is what is cracking up most of us .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,638,996 times
I have felt a lot better since I stopped my Diet Coke addiction. Thank the chemists for sucralose.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,956,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, the chicken little mentality is what is cracking up most of us .
There is no "most". You are the only "most" here.

By all means, keep guzzling down the stuff. You can run it as a line off the back of a urinal for all I care. The fact is that just because the FDA approves of aspartame right now, doesn't mean ultimately that it isn't harmful to you. This is the great thing about science. As I said before, research is constant and results can vary over time.

Your mentality is the same about a lot of old timers who have smoked their entire lives. It is the whole "I'm doing fine, so there is nothing wrong with them and will continue to smoke".

Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM

91 posts, read 103,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You do know that the FDA has previously banned Aspertame on two different occassions right? Research constantly changes which is why it is an on again off again. Your earlier comment about completely trusting the FDA is what is cracking everyone up. You never know, in 20 years it could be known to be extremely bad for you in which it will be banned.......again.
I don't think a single post here was a troll.....and I appreciate all comments....

Per trusting the FDA, keep in mind this is the same agency that approved Thalidomide for morning sickness.
I had a friend with deformed limbs from the same I grew up with from this. His mother had no idea.
Who knew? The government said it was okay, must be fine...

Thalidomide Currently marketed under the brand names Immunoprin, Talidex, Talizer, Thalomid) is an immunomodulatory drug and the prototype of the thalidomide class of drugs. It was first marketed in 1957 in the USA under the trade-name Contergan. The company Chemie Grünenthal (now Grünenthal) developed and sold the drug. Primarily prescribed as a sedative or hypnotic, thalidomide also claimed to cure “anxiety, insomnia, gastritis, and tension".[3] Afterwards, it was used against nausea and to alleviate morning sickness in pregnant women. Thalidomide became an over the counter drug in the USA on October 1, 1957. Shortly after the drug was sold in Germany, between 5,000 and 7,000 infants were born with phocomelia (malformation of the limbs). Only 40% of these children survived.[4][dead link] Throughout the world, about 10,000 cases were reported of infants with phocomelia due to thalidomide; only 50% of the 10,000 survived. Those subjected to thalidomide while in the womb experienced limb deficiencies in a way that the long limbs either were not developed or presented themselves as stumps. Other effects included deformed eyes and hearts, deformed alimentary and urinary tracts, blindness and deafness

Here are a few pics of Thalidomide babies from the early 60's....Keep in mind the FDA still allows this to be sold...yep, they still make this.....now used for cancer...

moderator cut: image removed

Thousands of kids grew up with Stumparms from this...come to think of it, another kid had the same, and he created a way of using his catchers mitt, and actually was a star player on his little league team...
I still recall playing football with him in the early 70's...

The other kid, Lloyd Bachrach, that I grew up with, was a star gymnast and dove often from the high dive beautifully in our municipal pool in town...

Here is is addressing a group of kids at a grammar school as a motivational speaker recently..

Last edited by Marka; 12-11-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid and one of the primary building blocks of life. If you do not eat any of it at all, you will die. Most proteins in your body have phenylalanine in them. The more hydrophobic (non-polar) amino acids are all capable of crossing the blood brain barrier. In healthy individuals, amino acid metabolism is regulated. That means that no matter how much you ingest, within reason, the concentration in your blood remains relatively constant. A healthy liver is capable of turning phenylalanine, as well as all amino acids, into fuel. An enzyme, or biological catalyst, that is necessary to make this transformation is called phenylalanine hydroxylase, and individuals with phenylketonuria have a deficiency in that enzyme, and are thus unable to regulate the levels of phenylalanine in blood.

Nearly every chemical in the body can be deadly if it is unregulated. When glucose is unregulated, the result is diabetes, a particularly well known disease, but hundreds or even thousands of other diseases are caused by a lack of ability to regulate something, usually related to an enzyme mutation or deficiency.

For most people, aspartame is healthier than sugar as a sweetener because it is so sweet tasting that very little of it can be used at a time. Coca cola and other sodas are not really healthy for anyone, regardless of the way that they are sweetened. People with amino acid related metabolic disorders will react negatively to aspartame, while diabetics will have much more trouble with sugar sweetened drinks. They don't react the same way, as an unregulated level of glucose in the blood has vastly different physiological effects than unregulated phenylalanine, but the comparison is appropriate.
Thanks for the explanation.

I only took one year of Bio in college, and this is more organic chemistry than bio, but I think I get the general drift of the natural metabolizing of these acids.....

The gist is that this is a natural blood/brain barrier chemical. I understand that. However, natural as it is, it still breaches the same. Just the fact that this chemical is going directly inside my brain after I drink CokeZero unsettles me. Hence my comparison to the -pam family of tranquilizers.

Now, you say "how much you ingest within reason".......I drank a 2-liter of Diet soda with Aspartame often, usually most of it the day I bought the same. How much of this can the body remove, before these stray phenyls collect and pool in the brain?

That is the problem....I'm sure the liver could remove say 8-12 ounces a day, but over that, sounds like these phenyls pool and collect in the brain over time, and the brain stores the same like fat cells. Surely this is what is causing headaches, tinnitus, and behavioral issues with heavy drinkers(or those who drink over 1 can a day of the same)...

I also posted part of a court deposition in a lawsuit against the FDA, which stated that Aspartame should be considered a neurotoxin.....

If what you mention is so self-explanatory and innocuous, why would a major lawsuit against Aspartame per it being a neurotoxin be leveled as recently as 2003?

Finally, with all the bad PR to this day with Aspartame, why are they selling it still, just from an marketing standpoint, especially now that the sales of sodas has gone markedly down and continues to? If I was a marketing exec, I would switch to Stevia or something similar that is natural, just from a pure sales standpoint....

I imagine they won't figuring they would have retroactive lawsuits, but I still think it wise to tank entirely the use of the same just from a sales aspect, especially now that people are so aware of what is in their food, and the organic food movement, which itself is a big moneymaker, that Coke itself has gotten into......

Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 PM

29,466 posts, read 22,457,821 times
This thread made me so thirsty I drank a coke zero cherry soda (third diet soda of the day).

Old 12-10-2014, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,200,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo3210 View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I only took one year of Bio in college, and this is more organic chemistry than bio, but I think I get the general drift of the natural metabolizing of these acids.....

The gist is that this is a natural blood/brain barrier chemical. I understand that. However, natural as it is, it still breaches the same. Just the fact that this chemical is going directly inside my brain after I drink CokeZero unsettles me. Hence my comparison to the -pam family of tranquilizers.

Now, you say "how much you ingest within reason".......I drank a 2-liter of Diet soda with Aspartame often, usually most of it the day I bought the same. How much of this can the body remove, before these stray phenyls collect and pool in the brain?

That is the problem....I'm sure the liver could remove say 8-12 ounces a day, but over that, sounds like these phenyls pool and collect in the brain over time, and the brain stores the same like fat cells. Surely this is what is causing headaches, tinnitus, and behavioral issues with heavy drinkers(or those who drink over 1 can a day of the same)...

I also posted part of a court deposition in a lawsuit against the FDA, which stated that Aspartame should be considered a neurotoxin.....

If what you mention is so self-explanatory and innocuous, why would a major lawsuit against Aspartame per it being a neurotoxin be leveled as recently as 2003?

Finally, with all the bad PR to this day with Aspartame, why are they selling it still, just from an marketing standpoint, especially now that the sales of sodas has gone markedly down and continues to? If I was a marketing exec, I would switch to Stevia or something similar that is natural, just from a pure sales standpoint....

I imagine they won't figuring they would have retroactive lawsuits, but I still think it wise to tank entirely the use of the same just from a sales aspect, especially now that people are so aware of what is in their food, and the organic food movement, which itself is a big moneymaker, that Coke itself has gotten into......
I posted about this before, but I think this adds to your point. Many people take drugs to calm their anxiety, to combat depression, to even mood swings, to control psychotic states and so on. The drug advertised to help you stop smoking is an anti depressent mixed with an anti psychotic drug. People are warned with certain of this class of drugs not to eat grapefruit. The chemicals in it change the effect of the drugs. Nobody ever was warned to avoid aspertaine.

But if its a neropathic drug, its like throwing a unknown element into a balance. How neropathic drugs work is not entierly understood and sometimes its a hit of miss deal. Add the effect of another unplanned for, unregulated drug in soda, and it could completly defeat the effects of the perscribed meds. And if you drink diet soda you might expect it to be there. But some 'light' products contain it too. Any drug which has direct effect on the brain should not be used make soda taste sweet. It's Russian roulette. I wanted something uncarbonated and tried 'light' lemonaide, and threw up from it but what if I wasn't sensitive to it? I was taking an anti depressent. What if my perscribed drug wasn't working right and it was assumed it wasn't effective when all the while it was an additve in a soft drink which changed its effect?

I agree that it should be removed from foods and something like stevia replace it if you have to drink a soft drink without calories. Better than spinning the dial.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM

29,466 posts, read 22,457,821 times
Wait a minute, the FDA didn't approve thalidomide for use in the US. In fact a woman working for the agency became legend for refusing to grant FDA approval for its use in America. She was concerned about its safety and refused to bow down to outside pressure.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,626,484 times
Won't touch that stuff! But DH takes it.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This thread made me so thirsty I drank a coke zero cherry soda (third diet soda of the day).
I drank 2-liters a day for years..you have some catching up to do.....not even a 2-liter yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events