Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 05:02 PM

172 posts, read 159,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Sigh. You don't understand at all, do you.
So after I explained to you how you were wrong, your rebuttal is "you don't understand at all, I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of things, it would be way to complex, just realize that I'm right." Oh, OK, I'm sure this works in real life for you, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
So after I explained to you how you were wrong, your rebuttal is "you don't understand at all, I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of things, it would be way to complex, just realize that I'm right." Oh, OK, I'm sure this works in real life for you, as well.
Yeah, the sort of trick you're trying to pull (claiming a link says something it does not) is something you can only get away with on the internet. This is why I'm not investing time in explaining it to you, because you're either being obtuse or you really can't understand what you're reading. Either way, my time is wasted going past the basics. Enough lurkers will read the info and understand it that you admitting you're floundering is not necessary.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 AM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Default gluten free

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
Gluten is also dangerous to people who have a life-threatening allergy to gluten, like a family member of mine.

And even if it was just that 1% of people who are gluten-free because they are celiac, some of those people are, like my family, calling every single company to inquire about the inclusion of gluten (a common filler ingredient in many products) and/or cross contamination from gluten (from shared processing facilities with other products that involve gluten) in the product. For some companies, it may be more efficient to print this info on the product instead of having to field all those calls. It's not just a matter of asking if there's wheat; gluten hides in many forms not immediately obvious (e.g. spices, herbs, flavoring, MSG).

Having said that, I suspect companies are printing "gluten-free" on their labels, since the gluten-free market only continues to grow (read: $$$), thanks to people who are genuinely gluten intolerant as well as other people who have adopted gluten-free because it's trendy. My family member is at great risk due to a gluten allergy, so I am thankful more companies are disclosing their gluten status. Only several years ago, some of those same companies now touting "gluten-free" as a marketing message refused to answer customer questions about products' gluten status. Their answer was: "We can't tell you what's in our product. If you think you might be allergic to something in our product, don't consume it." Uh, gee, thanks.

But now that gluten-free is all the rage, they're only more than happy to disclose what they refused to share when asked by people with legitimate health concerns. Not cool, but well, you take what you can get.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But yet people will think that they weren't true allergies or it is just some silly ploy. They don't know and don't care to know Just take a sampling off of this thread who think there is a placebo effect with gluten issues. Is there some, sure but there's enough who have true issues.
I think that's a huge issue. I was one of the posters who said it is a fad, but did say there are people with real issues. There is a placebo effect with gluten issues with SOME people, IMO. There are certain people who will learn of an intolerance (gluten, lactose, etc...) and adopt it. The food companies jump in line and start to market to it. My issue with the gluten-free market is that it's now being marketed as a weight loss solution, and it's not. Wheat-free can help with weight loss, but substituting gluten-free baked goods is not. It also annoys me that there are people who really and truly cannot tolerate gluten (and substitute any other type of food) and suddenly the general public can't either.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-16-2014 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
Pills are made with a lot of fillers, and in the past, wheat flour was one of them. Less common now, but yes, people with celiac do need to know this.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think that's a huge issue. I was one of the posters who said it is a fad, but did say there are people with real issues. There is a placebo effect with gluten issues with SOME people, IMO. There are certain people who will learn of an intolerance (gluten, lactose, etc...) and adopt it. The food companies jump in line and start to market to it. My issue with the gluten-free market is that it's now being marketed as a weight loss solution, and it's not. Wheat-free can help with weight loss, but substituting gluten-free baked goods is not. It also annoys me that there are people who really and truly cannot tolerate gluten (and substitute any other type of food) and suddenly the general public can't either.
I think for SOME, it can help their body chemistry to lose weight. It also helps create a sustained diet which works for all forms of weight loss. Most people have issues with diets because they do it for short periods (weeks to months) rather than for the rest of their life.

I think it is similar to being vegan or vegetarian where you hear those that have changed their diets and feel energized and less sluggish and now you want that as well and not realize that maybe your body chemistry is fine as it is.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,671 times
I actually GAINED weight when I quit eating gluten, but I was thrilled as the pounds started piling on, because I had lost something like 80 pounds in the previous year and a half -- no explanation, I hadn't changed my diet at all.

I was down to 115 pounds, which was skeletal for my 5'7" height. My naturopath explained that I was suffering from malnutrition, likely due to the damage done to my small intestine by gluten, among other substances, making it difficult for me to absorb nutrients through the intestinal wall. I also had autoimmune symptoms probably caused by gut wall damage which allowed large proteins to leak out of my gut, into places they really didn't belong.

Imagine the inside of your intestines covered with a layer of spackle. Your gut is lined with microscopic hairs called cilia, which are integral to the process of nutrient absorption. Now compare those fine hairs to the hair on your head, and imagine how your head hair would behave if you plastered it with a thick layer of paste that you couldn't remove. This might be an oversimplification, but I think it's an apt analogy.

Also, consider that an astounding amount of your neurochemistry happens in your gut! The article that "switched on the light" for me was this one:

Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being - Scientific American

Speaking just for myself here, I don't want to reintroduce any amount of "glue" back into that neurochemical system! Under the supervision of my naturopath, I tried a gluten challenge, approximately a year and a half after I quit eating gluten. I ate some whole wheat bread, and spent four days in the bathroom.

As far as I'm concerned, they damn well better keep sticking those "gluten free" labels on all food that is truly gluten free and anybody who thinks it's that big a deal to print a little notice on a label needs to simply find something actually significant to spend their worry time on!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Speaking just for myself here, I don't want to reintroduce any amount of "glue" back into that neurochemical system! Under the supervision of my naturopath, I tried a gluten challenge, approximately a year and a half after I quit eating gluten. I ate some whole wheat bread, and spent four days in the bathroom.

As far as I'm concerned, they damn well better keep sticking those "gluten free" labels on all food that is truly gluten free and anybody who thinks it's that big a deal to print a little notice on a label needs to simply find something actually significant to spend their worry time on!
My girlfriend made slaw on Thanksgiving and that is normally a free zone food for me.

Come to find out, she made it with bottled ranch dressing that contains gluten. I spent most of Thanksgiving in the bathroom.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
my girlfriend made slaw on thanksgiving and that is normally a free zone food for me.

Come to find out, she made it with bottled ranch dressing that contains gluten. I spent most of thanksgiving in the bathroom.

These days, if I don't cook it, I don't eat it.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Don't worry, gluten free water is next.
I'm allergic to people... The more I'm around most of them the worse I feel. Is there a people free diet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events