Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Some nutritionists believe there is more gluten in wheat these days but the real problem may be gliadin. Anyway, it seems gluten intolerance is quite popular but I wonder how many people get tested and see a sensitivity.
The only way to test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity is by elimination diet. It doesn't show up on any sort of lab result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
This entire thread is why, by the way, it's proven that placebos work on people. It's because most people just make up random and crazy beliefs and then say "it's science." For example, now we're to believe that gluten "intolerance" - which is not quite an allergy, so of course you can't be tested for it - consists of things like "mind fog" or "bloating." Right. Mind fog. People are saying that every time they eat bread they go into a daze and so it's clearly a gluten allergy. Either that or they're crazy.

- cuckooman
You're gonna believe whatever you want to believe. Until you experience it yourself (which you should pray you never do), you apparently refuse to understand.

I can tell you (not that you will believe me) that it's very real. I've had instances of waking in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramps (and the resulting repeated bathroom trips), only to dig through my trash the next day and find out that I ate something that I didn't read closely enough to realize it has gluten in it. Tell me how that would be all in my mind?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM

172 posts, read 159,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You're gonna believe whatever you want to believe. Until you experience it yourself (which you should pray you never do), you apparently refuse to understand.

I can tell you (not that you will believe me) that it's very real. I've had instances of waking in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramps (and the resulting repeated bathroom trips), only to dig through my trash the next day and find out that I ate something that I didn't read closely enough to realize it has gluten in it. Tell me how that would be all in my mind?
That's an entirely non-scientific association. In other words, you had diarrhea and then you attributed it to gluten when it could have been due to anything. However, since you had already come to a conclusion in your mind as to what caused it, you looked until you found something with gluten in it and then said "aha, I knew it!"

The whole gluten "intolerance" thing is a fad which has existed for only a few years. And the way you know it's fake is that anyone can say literally any symptom they want and then attribute it to gluten. Sure, you get diarrhea. But someone else can say they had "mind fog" and also blame gluten. Someone else can say they got dry skin and it was due to gluten. Another person could say they felt chest pain and it was due to gluten.

It doesn't hurt me or affect my life in any way for you to believe you have a gluten "intolerance," and so it doesn't matter to me if you want to continue to believe that for the remainder of your life. I'm just noting to you that it's entirely unscientific and is on the level of people who claim that colonic cleansing prevents cancer.

- cuckooman

Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
everything has gone wrong in my life. my wife left me, my car broke down, got kicked out of my apartment. I am 100 pounds overweight/diabetic and I cannot perform sexually. I think its because I ate some gluten.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have a wheat allergy and the diet I have to observe is the same one that celiacs have to observe. I can have small amounts of wheat, but the more I eat, the sicker I get. Drinking a beer will send me to bed and send my asthma off the charts.

I can't remember what I was looking at the other day, but it's label read, "Gluten Free!" And it was on something that you would never associate with gluten, like a bottle of 7-Up.

I agree, it is getting slightly worse than stupid.
Yuck, I wouldn't drink wheat beer if you paid me! Most beer is thankfully wheat free, as far as I have seen.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That's an entirely non-scientific association. In other words, you had diarrhea and then you attributed it to gluten when it could have been due to anything. However, since you had already come to a conclusion in your mind as to what caused it, you looked until you found something with gluten in it and then said "aha, I knew it!"
I ONLY have these severe stomach cramps when I accidentally ingest gluten. That's scientific enough for me. Whatever. I don't need you to believe me.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yuck, I wouldn't drink wheat beer if you paid me! Most beer is thankfully wheat free, as far as I have seen.
You're joking, right?

Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Gluten free foods are the digestive version of Asperger's. Fad diseases of the year

Old 12-12-2014, 10:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
This entire thread is why, by the way, it's proven that placebos work on people. It's because most people just make up random and crazy beliefs and then say "it's science." For example, now we're to believe that gluten "intolerance" - which is not quite an allergy, so of course you can't be tested for it - consists of things like "mind fog" or "bloating." Right. Mind fog. People are saying that every time they eat bread they go into a daze and so it's clearly a gluten allergy. Either that or they're crazy.

- cuckooman
I'm allergic to soy, not gluten, but I don't think it reflected on my sanity when I awoke with an acute reaction which sent me to the emergency room, after unknowingly eating soy as an additive to cookies the previous evening. The soy was doing its best to shut down my respiratory system, and sadly, placebos just don't work when that happens.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events