Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,510,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Now that he has that money.....it has just started.

IMO.......there will be a civil case.
Why? It's over. There's only so long you can sue someone for damages. You don't get the rest of your life. And the timing of this would be extremely suspicious and judges don't like when people act like jerks. The man did his time so what is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The child can file a court complaint......for damages......I hope his parents do this for him.

He should be about 17 now.......he can file in most states at 18 himself.
Three words: Statute of Limitations

Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,931,081 times
I'm baffled how people have no problem about this guy, yet still want to lynch Mark Walberg. Mark paid his debt to society, yet there are people who think he should now give some of his wealth to the victims. I don't agree with what he did and I don't think he should be pardoned for it, but the double standards I am reading crack me up. Do you think this child molester apologized? What do you think an apology would do if he did?

I'm all for what jail is supposed to be for and that is rehabilitation. You commit the crime, you serve your time, you merge back into society. That's what this guy did, now he is a millionaire. So what. Good for him.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,868,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
The news outlets succeeded with this story.... it's just about a guy who won the lottery.... OH OH OH... BUT WAIT... he was a child molester! Lets point that out so we can get public outrage! Should we all start rioting the streets now?

Listen, of course what the guy did was absolutely horrible and a person's life is forever ruined by this. Blame the justice system for the short-time he served and now he's walking the streets amongst our nation's youth.

Sure, he could choose to provide money to the victim.... but no amount of money is going to change what happen, and help heal the wounds the victim will forever have in his mind.

Lets all just realize one thing though... at the end of the day... this story is simply about a guy who won the lottery. I guess for all of those sickened by it, maybe send prayers that he goes on a Big Mac eating binge and he keels over from a heart attack.
What sickens me is how low the news has sunk to garner eyeballs of the viewing public. Maybe Gruber was right about the public...

I'm waiting for the screams to start that the winnings should be revoked because of his past and a new law passed, maybe called the "Pervlot" or "Lotperv" law that restricts anyone convicted of such offenses from playing the lottery and all back winners who've committed such crimes have their winnings forfeited to the state.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,868,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I'm baffled how people have no problem about this guy, yet still want to lynch Mark Walberg. Mark paid his debt to society, yet there are people who think he should now give some of his wealth to the victims. I don't agree with what he did and I don't think he should be pardoned for it, but the double standards I am reading crack me up. Do you think this child molester apologized? What do you think an apology would do if he did?

I'm all for what jail is supposed to be for and that is rehabilitation. You commit the crime, you serve your time, you merge back into society. That's what this guy did, now he is a millionaire. So what. Good for him.
I don't think Walberg should have to pay anything to anyone BUT just because he's a celeb doesn't mean he should get a pardon either, unless many,many other "regular" people get one as well.
Of course all he needs to do is donate a bunch of $$$$$ to the correct political party and he'll get just what he's seeking.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't think Walberg should have to pay anything to anyone BUT just because he's a celeb doesn't mean he should get a pardon either, unless many,many other "regular" people get one as well.
Of course all he needs to do is donate a bunch of $$$$$ to the correct political party and he'll get just what he's seeking.
I completely agree. I honestly don't think he will get his pardon, but oh well, that is a different thread. I think people just have a hard time with the fact that a convicted felon now has more money than they do.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,732,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post

1) No one wants to lynch Mark Wahlberg.

2) No one is calling for this guy to be pardoned (which is what Mark Wahlberg is seeking, supported by numerous fame-awed fans).

3) Logical analogies clearly aren't your strong point.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
1) No one wants to lynch Mark Wahlberg.

2) No one is calling for this guy to be pardoned (which is what Mark Wahlberg is seeking, supported by numerous fame-awed fans).

3) Logical analogies clearly aren't your strong point.
And it is obvious that my comment went WAY over your head. Read the Walburg thread. Many people believe that because he now has all this money, that he should pay some of it to the victims of his crimes, yet majority of the people in this thread agree with the fact that this guy has no reason to give money to the victim.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,202,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Three words: Statute of Limitations
It depends on the state.....

When the child becomes an adult.......in most states they can file a court action.

There are cases where adults won YEARS later.......because of oppressed memory.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It depends on the state.....

When the child becomes an adult.......in most states they can file a court action.

There are cases where adults won YEARS later.......because of oppressed memory.
Also depends on what their parents sign and do. In most states, you cannot file a suit YEARS later....well you can file, but you won't win and you're thrown out of court because of the Statute of Limitations. Maybe you should cite some case law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events