Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
This is something I don't "get". In the case of Garner, yes, he was selling cigarettes illegally. Can someone explain why the death sentence was imposed upon him for selling cigarettes illegally?

As for Officer Wilson he did not look like he was in a tussle. He looked like he had a zit on his face. He did NOT look like he had a broken eye socket.

I was punched just above the eye I turned the color of a dark and purple plum. I have the same skin tone as officer Wilson, so I can state his face looked unbeaten.

I don't think he was afraid for his life, I think Officer Wilson is a thug.
My opinion of the character of MB and EG are based in hard evidence of video tape. You have MB pulling a strong arm robbery minutes before his encounter with DW. You also have EG resisting arrest. Hence they got what they got because of their own actions. If we had video of DW being a thug your opinion would hold some weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
11 Facts You Should Know About Eric Garner's Death

Also, it is a myth that if you can speak, you can breathe. This is a good explanation of why the police should have backed off when they heard him say that.

The Pernicious Myth Of "If You Can Speak You Can Breathe" : ProtectAndServe
None of those "facts" rebut the fact that Mr Garner was RESISTING ARREST.
His behavior is the driving factor - not the officers.
Resisting arrest is an assault and battery upon the arresting officer(s) empowered to bring him to justice.

It would have been totally different if Mr Garner had not resisted BUT THEN WAS CHOKED during his arrest.
THAT would be grounds to indict the officers.
THAT would be grounds to protest a failure to indict.

But that is not what happened.
All the arm waving, word twisting, and fist pumping cannot erase the fact that Mr Garner was the one responsible for his own demise.
A felon takes upon himself all consequences of his acts.

Resisting Arrest: Laws, Penalties, and Defense | Criminal Law
Felony Resisting Arrest: What Does the Prosecutor Have to Prove?

In order to secure a conviction for resisting arrest, the prosecutor must produce evidence on the following issues, called the “elements” of the offense, and the judge or jury must decide that the prosecutor has proved each one of them beyond a reasonable doubt. While the elements of the crime may vary from state to state, usually all of the following must be true:

• The defendant intentionally resisted or obstructed a law enforcement officer. This means the defendant intentionally acted in a way to hinder the arrest. However, the person need not have intended the result or harm that his actions caused.
  • The defendant acted violently toward the law enforcement officer or threatened to act violently. For example, striking or pushing the officer would satisfy this requirement. Similarly, a defendant’s threat to strike an officer with an object in the defendant’s hand would also satisfy this requirement.
  • The law enforcement officer was lawfully discharging his official duties. This means the law enforcement officer was properly engaged in the performance of official duties, such as investigating a crime or making a traffic stop. A law enforcement officer can be acting lawfully even when arresting the wrong person and even if the charges are dropped or the defendant secures an acquittal at trial.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 PM

610 posts, read 698,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Agreed. Because we all should go back over 200+ years ago when blacks were still slaves and women could not vote.
I don't think that a healthy mistrust of government authority somehow means I also support slavery and the disenfranchisement of women. You have espoused an archetypical straw man argument, and a weak one at that. Try again, if you'd like to refute me.

Not to mention, some of those MOST hostile to authority were the Quakers, who did not keep slaves and whose meetings were nearly just as frequently headed by women as men.

Your intellectual laziness is showing.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 PM

557 posts, read 736,322 times
Garner had been arrested for throwing a child out of a moving car and for sexually abusing a small child what a dirtbag glad he is no longer walking this earth to hurt children. There is a new video circulating the Internet of Michael brown robbing an older black man. Both thugs committed crimes and died resisting arrest . Society doesn't need either one

Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
He fought the police after a lawful command was issued??? Just spit balling here but, had he obeyed, he, like Brown would be alive today. Period.
And had Soviet citizens obeyed, the USSR might still exist. Or if the black had obeyed Jim Crow, maybe the government would still be enforcing segregation. Or if the Jews had obeyed, maybe they'd be gone from Western Europe. Or maybe if the founders had just obeyed, we'd still live under the British crown.

Since when did deference to authority (forceful and arbitrary authority, at that) become an American value?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You just missed the point, just like all the people who wore the "I can't breathe" shirts.

If he would have cooperated, he'd most likely be alive today to talk about what happened.

What most people don't seem to realize about Garner:

-more than 30 arrests. That's a lot of contact with law enforcement.
-suffered from several health issues: obesity (the only obvious one), diabetes and asthma.

For the grand jury to find the officer worthy of being charged, he would've had to known that putting him in the choke hold would've killed him. Most men his age without those health conditions would've not only survived but had the sense to know when to listen to a group of police.

If you go looking for trouble, don't be surprised when you find it and you don't like it.

What troubles me is that you have all these athletes putting these shirts on and kids, gullible kids who don't bother to do any research or critical thinking, believe what these athletes say and you're basically creating another idiot.

And I wish the media would stop saying Brown stole cigars. That wasn't stealing, that was robbery. If he hadn't robbed the store and been walking in the street, the cop would've drove right by him, just another guy walking along the sidewalk. Walking in the street when there are sidewalks seems to afflict a specific demographic.

Basically, it smells like beef, tastes like beef and looks like beef but if you call it beef, you're racist because the left leaning agenda driven media insists that it's chicken.
That is EXACTLY the point, though. Since when do I have a duty to obey someone just because he wears a government costume? The state is not sacrosanct, as much as you'd like it to be. In fact, it's the exact opposite. It's run by a collection of the most power-hungry, blood-thirsty, greedy people ON PLANET EARTH, and somehow you have convoluted their edicts with a moral imperative that I must dutifully assume my role in the master-servant relationship and heed the commands of their enforcers who are held to no standards of accountability WHATSOEVER?

Yeah, right. Next time someone tells you to do something, you better listen or, by your logic, they could just kill you. Your government costume doesn't make you some ACTUAL dispenser of justice, just a dispenser of violence on behalf of the most lying, conniving, back-biting, two-faced, deceitful people on planet earth.

And your "30 arrests" argument is garbage. They can arrest you for "suspicion" in NYC, which means a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g. You don't even have to be charged. He didn't have 30 convictions. Try and spend a day or two in a "community policing hotspot" and tell me if you don't get stopped for something stupid.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Great points, leavingIL. There should be a difference between US pds and 3rd world regime equivalents. Expecting cops not to kill a guy selling loosies seems an easy bar for 99.99999% of folks to clear.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Great points, leavingIL. There should be a difference between US pds and 3rd world regime equivalents. Expecting cops not to kill a guy selling loosies seems an easy bar for 99.99999% of folks to clear.
It seems, but it's both frustrating and disheartening to read how many people wholeheartedly defend the actions of these police. Although, I'm sure, if it happened to their son/daughter/nephew/niece/dad/uncle/whoever, they'd have a different perspective.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Garner had been arrested for throwing a child out of a moving car and for sexually abusing a small child what a dirtbag glad he is no longer walking this earth to hurt children. There is a new video circulating the Internet of Michael brown robbing an older black man. Both thugs committed crimes and died resisting arrest . Society doesn't need either one
Then justice would come in the form of due process, not summary execution by a cop who will never be held accountable for his own actions. That's the point of the bill of rights and of the American tradition, innocent until proven guilty. That means protecting the rights of even the most vile, horrible, filthy scum this world has ever known until their guilt is established in a court of law. Unfortunately for people like you, who prefer mob rule and street justice, living in a free society means protecting those rights that you don't want to protect until guilt is proven. You don't like it? I'm sure there's a banana republic somewhere who'd love you on their edict-enforcement squad.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Brown and Garner resisted arrest. Brown attacked the officer as proven by forensic evidence and vetted by the grand jury.
Forensic evidence NEVER proved NO SUCH THING.

All it shows is that Mike's DNA was in the car, but it doesn't mean that he went for Wilson's gun as he claims or not. If he did go for his gun, then WHY didn't Wilson hand it over at the scene to get fingerprints?? WHY weren't there any fingerprints on the gun if he and Mike were struggling for it??

Quote:
Garner broke the law and must have know his asthma condition was sensitive to stress
Dude, the coroner said he died from strangulation not asthma or obesity like you guys keep claiming over and over again. Anyone with eyes can see that the cop choked him to death EVEN HARDER after he said he couldn't breathe. The entire world witnessed a MURDER ON VIDEO BY COP. Staten Island is just an east coast version of Ferguson and everybody in NYC knows it. It's the forgotten borough that no one cares about. I really wish either Long Island or Jersey would absorb it in to THEIR jurisdiction and be done with it.

Quote:
No officer tried to kill these men for being black!
Maybe not. Wilson probably wanted to show how bad ass he was and it backfired; Garner's little napoleon cop has done this strangulation technique before and NYPD had to pay over $30k for it the last time. He also made black men PUBLICLY strip down, then slap their scrotums pretending to look for "contraband". Like, how sick do you have to be to think this is okay??? As a matter of fact, what were his OTHER cop buddies doing when this was going on???

Is this what "good" cops are doing now?

Are America's cops now on some BDSM type *ish today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events