U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
Reputation: 19654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This area has a lot of gang activity and violence, this is one key factor. A young person with a gun would not be out of the norm in the area.

I don't think anyone is saying the cops should've known the gun was a toy but are questioning the tactics which resulted in the kid's death.

 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 AM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,309,652 times
Reputation: 17659
Bummer here : within four days of legislation requiring toy guns be available only in bright colors, to try to help the cops differentiate, this shows up. No surprises here, but dang...

Police: Man painted handgun red to resemble toy
 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM
 
20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20178
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Medical Examiner rules Tamir Rice's death a homicide - CBS News

Then it's a different story, since it sure appeared to be a criminal act.
Loehmann apparently told Rice 'three' times to raise his hands within that 2 second window of shooting him. Yeah, sure he did.

Loehmann's father said his son had no choice
"Loehmann has returned to work from administrative leave, but is not back on patrol."
Tim Loehmann, Cleveland officer who shot Tamir Rice, 12, had no choice, cop's dad says - CBS News

I hope both cops go down for this one.
Umm, well, yes, indeed, the death was a homicide. It certainly was not a suicide, nor was it an accident.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,242 posts, read 4,580,470 times
Reputation: 9696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Umm, well, yes, indeed, the death was a homicide. It certainly was not a suicide, nor was it an accident.
And it wasn't from natural causes.

It's amazing how people can say something it seems in order to flame the fans of conflict.

Once again, I think the agenda driven media is as guilty as anyone in instigating civil unrest.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:13 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,140,963 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

Once again, I think the agenda driven media is as guilty as anyone in instigating civil unrest.
Obviously, they need news to cover since they are 24/7 businesses now. So they work to create unrest, which makes great news/entertainment and creates even more unrest. The sad thing is how many people STILL fall for it hook line and sinker.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:35 PM
 
20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20178
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This area has a lot of gang activity and violence, this is one key factor. A young person with a gun would not be out of the norm in the area.
Really? According to City-Data maps, it's a nice area--low unemployment all around, surrounded by middle-class areas, some highly diverse, some predominantly white, and some predominantly black. This crime map shows it to be one of the safer areas of the city.

Also, Cleveland is an "open carry" city. That means there will be people on the street with real guns--legally.

That also means there will be "man with a gun" 911 calls from gun-haters on people who are doing nothing wrong--and police should realize that.

It also means there will be more people with legal guns handling them idiotically...and police should know that, too.

It also means there will be people with legal guns whose kids get a hold of them...and police should know that, too.

All of which means there will be more than a few cases of "man with a gun" calls that should not necessarily call for a shooting situation.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 PM
 
20,178 posts, read 11,177,864 times
Reputation: 20178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Bummer here : within four days of legislation requiring toy guns be available only in bright colors, to try to help the cops differentiate, this shows up. No surprises here, but dang...

Police: Man painted handgun red to resemble toy
Oh, heck, you mean you haven't seen the "Hello Kitty" real guns being marketed to women? And practically every manufacturer is turning out at least one model in pink or lavender "for the ladies."
 
Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM
 
6,322 posts, read 3,581,874 times
Reputation: 22126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I call BS. Kids play with toy guns all the time, but if they are white no one calls 911.
How do you know this?

Almost twenty years ago I was called down to the police station because my very white son was carrying his paintball gun in a public place. The police took this very seriously. It ticked me off but once I knew the attitude of the police I made sure that he only had access to his paintball gun when he was going to the paintball field.

Many boys think it makes them look grown up to carry a weapon when they are young. I didn't know he had taken it out and at that time and place I hadn't given it much thought. But living in today's jumpy society I would be very careful indeed.

This is just a total tragedy and should never have happened. But it didn't happen because of skin color. It happened because a young man and two police officers all used poor judgment.

Please, please don't say you think police are after public gun carriers because of the color of their skin. They are after them because of what might happen.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
 
12 posts, read 7,472 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
I watched the video too. It is horrifying. The driver is at fault, not the shooter. The driver should have stopped the cruiser a safe distance away from the possibly-armed kid. Instead, he drove too close, putting his partner is direct line of fire. At that point nobody knew if the gun was real. In the video, it appears that the kid made a move, but we'll never know the motive or reason. The passenger cop reacted the same way any of us would react. He defended himself against what he thought was an immediate threat to his life.

The driver, not the passenger, should be held responsible for not putting distance between the cops and the threat.
(eye roll) Yea like THAT would've mattered. Because we all know it's distance from the unarmed black male that makes these cops want to shoot then ask later. pssh yea right
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:13 PM
 
12 posts, read 7,472 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
How do you know this?

Almost twenty years ago I was called down to the police station because my very white son was carrying his paintball gun in a public place. The police took this very seriously. It ticked me off but once I knew the attitude of the police I made sure that he only had access to his paintball gun when he was going to the paintball field.

Many boys think it makes them look grown up to carry a weapon when they are young. I didn't know he had taken it out and at that time and place I hadn't given it much thought. But living in today's jumpy society I would be very careful indeed.

This is just a total tragedy and should never have happened. But it didn't happen because of skin color. It happened because a young man and two police officers all used poor judgment.

Please, please don't say you think police are after public gun carriers because of the color of their skin. They are after them because of what might happen.
The difference?... 20 years later you're still looking at him. Depends on the cop and depends on the day or thats EXACTLY why it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top