Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
When will the leaders in the black community step up and tell their folks to quit idiolizing the rap culture and their adoration of guns and violence????
Boys have been playing with toy guns for as long as there have been guns (and it was toy swords before that). It's not just black boys that play with toy guns.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I call BS. Kids play with toy guns all the time, but if they are white no one calls 911.
I call BS on this one. I remember when toy guns had to start having those orange tips because kids (including white kids) were getting shot by police who thought they were real. When anyone (including white kids) point what looks like a real gun at people, the police will be called.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How do you explain what the police did here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwl...yer_detailpage

And another story:

They didn't kill this white guy who was scaring lots of people. They had an hour standoff. He pointed the gun at the police, but they tried to save his life. They hit him, but didn't kill him. Note how far away the police were. Note that they didn't immediately run up to him, but spent a half hour trying to convince him to move away from the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjt...yer_detailpage
Situations are all different and with different outcomes. Some white guys who point guns at other people and/or police are shot. Also, some black guys who point guns at other people and/or police are not shot. (Those situations just don't often make the news.)

Old 12-14-2014, 06:08 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I'm well aware that homicide is just a catch-all legal term (person killing another person) that has different definitions regarding whether it's legal or criminal, and of what type. I had simply used the title of the news story that I had posted, along with posting my own opinion that it 'appeared' to be a criminal act to me. While my opinion was that it appeared to be a criminal act, I didn't give an opinion regarding what type of criminal act it was.

I was hoping that even though the article that I'd posted, and used the article title of for the title of this thread, which contained the word 'homicide', that, with my giving my own opinion on which definition of 'homicide' I believed it to be would lead to a discussion on what opinion others had about the definition regarding the matter, without people getting hung up on, and jumping on, the singular word - homicide (sadly, which has happened several times so far).
I think the term is "manslaughter".

Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 PM

23,520 posts, read 12,509,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I think the term is "manslaughter".
Yes but, if they do find it's manslaughter they would still have to determine if it's voluntary or involuntary.
Also, 'depending on that states statutes', second degree murder may be considered if they feel that there was a reckless disregard for Rice's life by Loehmann (factoring in that Rice was shot within 1 1/2 - 2 seconds, and, Loehmann's pathetic police officer history)
I'm sure the lies regarding what had happened, that both cops told their superior(s), may factor in on any decision.

There does seem to be some differing speculations on exactly what Rice had done, as far as the toy gun in his waistband. The video is a bit too dark and grainy to see the real story, but, the speculations vary from ..
Rice reached for his waistband and pulled the gun out, but did not point it at either cop.
Rice reached for his waistband and pulled the gun partially out.
Rice reached for his waistband but didn't touch the gun.
Rice appeared to be reaching for his waistband.

The video would have to be cleaned up to see exactly what happened in that second or two.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

It's SOOOOO easy to blame everyone else when a crisis happens instead of an HONEST discussion about the disintegration of the family etc. Just like Obama's been ignoring for the past six years.
You see what you did right there in that one sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
When will the leaders in the black community step up and tell their folks to quit idiolizing the rap culture and their adoration of guns and violence????
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you mean a specific black neighborhood?

Because when you say "black community", you're lumping 40 million blacks in this bag as though all 40 MILLION OF US will follow the word of one or two black people.

Is this how it works in the "white community"? Who are YOUR leaders that all 200 million of you blindly follow??

^^Every time I ask the above I never get a reply. Why??
And you never will get a reply because many of the people who post stuff like that lack critical thinking skills.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Do you mean a specific black neighborhood?

Because when you say "black community", you're lumping 40 million blacks in this bag as though all 40 MILLION OF US will follow the word of one or two black people.

Is this how it works in the "white community"? Who are YOUR leaders that all 200 million of you blindly follow??

^^Every time I ask the above I never get a reply. Why??
Maybe you don't get an answer because nobody expects ALL 40 MILLION of you to blindly follow one or two black people. When speaking of a 'white community' keep in mind there's no white equivalent of the National Action Network, NAACP, Black Congressional Caucus, CORE, the Urban League, or other orgs devoted primarily to dealing with 'white' issues.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yes but, if they do find it's manslaughter they would still have to determine if it's voluntary or involuntary.
Also, 'depending on that states statutes', second degree murder may be considered if they feel that there was a reckless disregard for Rice's life by Loehmann (factoring in that Rice was shot within 1 1/2 - 2 seconds, and, Loehmann's pathetic police officer history)
I'm sure the lies regarding what had happened, that both cops told their superior(s), may factor in on any decision.

There does seem to be some differing speculations on exactly what Rice had done, as far as the toy gun in his waistband. The video is a bit too dark and grainy to see the real story, but, the speculations vary from ..
Rice reached for his waistband and pulled the gun out, but did not point it at either cop.
Rice reached for his waistband and pulled the gun partially out.
Rice reached for his waistband but didn't touch the gun.
Rice appeared to be reaching for his waistband.

The video would have to be cleaned up to see exactly what happened in that second or two.

Unarmed black men and boys "reaching in their waistbands" seems to be a running theme when it comes to cop murders.

They've been saying this since the abolition days which is why no one believes it now.

It was the excuse Wilson gave for pumping six extra bullets inside Brown.

As we can see from the tape (which is clear as day) that Tamir NEVER had a chance to go for his "waistband" or even say finish saying the word "he.." . He was shot dead in exactly TWO SECONDS of the cops pulling up on the curb. The officer who killed him NEVER should have been a cop in the first place and if his NEW police department had done an EXTENSIVE background check with his OLD department that he resigned from, then they would have known this.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Maybe you don't get an answer because nobody expects ALL 40 MILLION of you to blindly follow one or two black people. When speaking of a 'white community' keep in mind there's no white equivalent of the National Action Network, NAACP, Black Congressional Caucus, CORE, the Urban League, or other orgs devoted primarily to dealing with 'white' issues.
Well STOP saying "black community", because when you do you're meaning it to encompass all 40 MILLION blacks. Believe it or not, many MILLIONS of us do NOT associate with any of those groups you mentioned or would know how to get in contact with them.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Well STOP saying "black community", because when you do you're meaning it to encompass all 40 MILLION blacks. Believe it or not, many MILLIONS of us do NOT associate with any of those groups you mentioned or would know how to get in contact with them.
Get a grip. Nobody thinks ALL 40 Million blacks listen to, read, or in other ways are the same, any more than 'men are taller than women' means ALL men are taller than ALL women, or white men can't jump means ALL white men can't jump, etc..

Anyway, back to Rice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events