Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

If its not self inflicted shooting ;it of course is a homicide. Different from legal murder term

Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Please don't say that.
You were not there to know if it was said or not.

Unless there is a video showing he didn't say it.
If so, I apologize.

No one likes to see a 12 year old meet death.
They should never have pulled up so close. Even the police procedure experts say they messed up.

Police procedure experts question tactics of officers involved in Tamir Rice shooting | cleveland.com

Quote:
"The tactics were very poor," said David Thomas, senior research fellow for the Police Foundation. "If the driver would have stopped a distance away so that the primary officer wasn't right there to get involved in shooting, it may have played out differently."
The same thing happened in the Kajieme Powell case. The officers pulled up close and shot very quickly.

But in the case of Joseph Houseman who actually waved a gun around, the police stopped a distance away and talked to the man instead of shooting. He even got his gun back.

Seriously, the cop who killed Tamir needs to be prosecuted and his partner (who was the driver) should also be disciplined. Loehmann was apparently a bad officer to begin with.

Officer Who Shot Tamir Rice Is Reportedly “Unstable” (DETAILS) | Global Grind

Quote:
In a Nov. 2012 letter to the Independence police department’s Human Relations Director recommending Loehmann’s termination, Independence Deputy Chief Jim Polak explained that for much of his time on the force, Loehmann “was distracted and weepy.” He could not follow simple directions, could not communicate clear thoughts nor recollections, and his handgun performance was dismal.”

Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The kid should not have had a gun replica, should not have been aiming it at people. What were his parents thinking?

There is a huge problem with guns among Black youths, a huge number of shootings. Half the gun homicide perpetrators are black males. The cop obviously was lumping this kid in with the statistics.

A tragedy all around. A boy dead, a cop probably headed for jail or else there'll be riots and looting. And the family will make a million or two on interviews, a book deal, and settlements. And the potus will make one of his typical "if I had a son" comments to stir things up.
His mother stated that she didn't allow him to play with toy guns and that he got it from a friend.

And let's be honest, even the best parent can't know what they're kids doing at all times.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
After watching the video there is no way the cop could have said much of anything before he shot. I agree with those blaming the driver of the cop car. Why did he endanger his partner by driving up within 10 feet of an armed subject?

There were no civilians in danger at the time they confronted the kid. They should have taken the time to observe the situation instead they rushed in like cowboys.

I think both officers should be charged with the shooting. The kid did not pull the gun out on them; all the cops knew is someone reported the kid having a gun.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
As bad as it is, and it is terrible, if a young man had not been pointing a pistol at people in the park, this would have never happened.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
As bad as it is, and it is terrible, if a young man had not been pointing a pistol at people in the park, this would have never happened.
I call BS. Kids play with toy guns all the time, but if they are white no one calls 911.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:53 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I call BS. Kids play with toy guns all the time, but if they are white no one calls 911.
Ah yes, the plight of the poor black person. No white person ever get reported. I really feel for people with this type of skewed thinking.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Ah yes, the plight of the poor black person. No white person ever get reported. I really feel for people with this type of skewed thinking.
How do you explain what the police did here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwl...yer_detailpage

And another story:

They didn't kill this white guy who was scaring lots of people. They had an hour standoff. He pointed the gun at the police, but they tried to save his life. They hit him, but didn't kill him. Note how far away the police were. Note that they didn't immediately run up to him, but spent a half hour trying to convince him to move away from the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjt...yer_detailpage

Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
How many people here have been involved in a lethal force situation?

Those seconds feel like hours of incredible stress.
I have, and trying to relay this to those who have not, let alone who have absolutely zero experience of any sort in regards to self defense and law enforcement, seems fruitless.

However, in this instance, I have to wonder about this cop pulling up right next to this kid if the cop thought a deadly force threat was present. It could have been a mistake maybe, I do not know, maybe the cop did not see the kid until he was right up on him, but if that was the case, I sure would not have stopped the car right in front of him, the cops would lose their protective advantage in doing so.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:43 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This area has a lot of gang activity and violence, this is one key factor. A young person with a gun would not be out of the norm in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events