Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 AM

2,866 posts, read 3,611,983 times

Advertisements

Personally I wouldn't have gone to see the movie whether they threatened or not. Nothing to do with the threat, just didn't care for the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,229,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
I just read an article and there are some serious doubt about the implication of north korea. They think, it can be a former salary of sony who have sent the attack due to the fact that the hackers have an intern knowledge of sony security.
The revendication of the attack don't match with the North Korean procedure.
Actually, according to article posted yesterday on Entertainment Weekly:

"Investigators told CNN on Thursday that they have evidence that the hackers stole a system administrator’s credentials, which essentially gave them 'keys to the entire building.' It’s one of the pieces of evidence that gives officials reason to believe that the attack was not aided by someone in the company, and further supports their belief that North Korea is responsible for the attacks."

Old 12-19-2014, 07:34 AM

827 posts, read 621,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post

"Investigators told CNN on Thursday that they have evidence that the hackers stole a system administrator’s credentials, which essentially gave them 'keys to the entire building.' It’s one of the pieces of evidence that gives officials reason to believe that the attack was not aided by someone in the company, and further supports their belief that North Korea is responsible for the attacks."
You are probably right, the article i read was in French and media don't pay much attention ont his event. They also said that in general nkoran hacker don't revendicate their attack when they made it on skorea. So maybe it's a third party who want to avoid to be catch. I don't know if it's relevant or not.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:18 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,029,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It is pathetic what we have become. Any losers can threaten us when they get their feelings hurt and we just cower in the corner like a bunch of wusses. Just wave that word "terrorism" once again and it's an automatic rationalization for yet more "security measures" to supposedly "protect" the American people. And Bush and Obama claim the terrorists didn't win
I agree. With all that has changed since 9/11, including every useless reactionary response to threats or attempts at terrorism, they have won. Granted, the average American is not much better, as they are almost equally afraid of their own shadow. Thank your media, and of course they will most likely have their fear machine run around the clock to cover the new terror threat. So it was clearly easy to see that a simple threat would work.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,866,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post

This is confusing. If they had a sys admin login and password, shouldn't that indicate that this was an inside job (not of the sys admin, but somebody who at least knew their login and could logically guess at a password)?

Also, how many logins can the Sony Pictures IT department have that give unrestricted access to the entire IT system? Isn't someone aware that large amounts of data are being downloaded? It's all very strange. There should have been alerts triggered.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:50 AM

9,296 posts, read 16,582,132 times
Obama has bowed down to many world leaders who no longer believe the US is strong nation. This latest fiasco, bowing down to the North Koreans, who along with China (IMO) hacked into Sony, and being collared into giving spies back to Cuba, one known to murder an American, is an embarrassment to me as an American. The entire administration, including both parties, has turned us into a despotic country.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

827 posts, read 621,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
This is confusing. If they had a sys admin login and password, shouldn't that indicate that this was an inside job (not of the sys admin, but somebody who at least knew their login and could logically guess at a password)?

Also, how many logins can the Sony Pictures IT department have that give unrestricted access to the entire IT system? Isn't someone aware that large amounts of data are being downloaded? It's all very strange. There should have been alerts triggered.
I think Sony just failed in a huge way and it's not the first time.

But honestly it's dificult to beleive north korea made it alone, at least they get the help of some chinese hacker.
Or north korea is really underestimate.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,229,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

I believe I read with this one password, they were able to get access to a file called Master_Password_List or something absurd like that. I know it was a file that contained every other password (unencrypted) necessary to do what they did. I also remember reading that IT at Sony repeatedly told the executives about security issues but it always fell on deaf ears.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,660,979 times
Elwood
Glad you got that off of your chest. Plus I appreciated the laugh it gave me.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cowardice. Theater owners assumed the American public are so sheltered they wouldn't go to the movies on Christmas Day out of fear of "terrorists" setting off a bomb in Des Moines. Basically any vague internet threat can disrupt our way of life these days.
Yes they pulled it off. But what if it were shown? How many people would take their loved one to see it with all the nuts around today??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events