Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'm not religious, but I find it sad that I know more about the bible than you do.

Ever read Genesis? Abraham talks about slaying his own son for his God. He's perfectly willing to and only stops when God intervenes at the last minute.
In Duerteronomy God commands genocide of non-believers.
You obviously don't know as much about the Bible as you think you do.

The story of Abraham and his son is about testing his faith, and not about a cruel God that just wants people to kill their children. Another interpretation of the story is that it teaches how abhorrent it is to kill a child. Nor was Abraham "perfectly willing".

It is true that the Old Testament is full of stories of an angry, vengeful God who promises mass destruction on nonbelievers and so forth, but it's probable that these stories are apocryphal (i.e. fables, not true).

Contrast the Jewish scriptures with those of the Muslims, whose prophet Mohammed was a ruthless warrior who killed all those who would not convert, and his followers have continued to do so right down to the present day.

Now, someone mentioned the death penalty. Thirty-nine (39) people were executed in the United States in 2013, all of them guilty beyond reasonable doubt of heinous murders.

It was just reported that over 5,000 people were killed by Islamic terrorists last month. That's 5,000 in one month.

In the ISIS-controlled territories, they are showing the decapitated heads of prisoners to little children, to teach them to be brutal and savage warriors from an early age.

These terrorists or militants or fanatics or whatever you want to call them are subhuman savages and should be killed. Eventually it's going to take a mass extermination effort by the civilized world including the Islamic countries to stamp out this thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 PM

919 posts, read 848,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Also, this doesn't change the fact that "our" wars/bombings of cities, etc., are not done "in the name of religion."
The dying people appreciate the nuance, I am sure.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:25 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You obviously don't know as much about the Bible as you think you do.

The story of Abraham and his son is about testing his faith, and not about a cruel God that just wants people to kill their children. Another interpretation of the story is that it teaches how abhorrent it is to kill a child. Nor was Abraham "perfectly willing".
No, it's not lost on me. I just find the lesson that one should mindlessly obey evil to be... evil. I prefer thinking for myself than mindlessly following evil. The lesson I learned is that religion is abhorrent because it teaches one to mindlessly obey trusting in "God's plan." Some people take solace when tragic things happen claiming that you can't understand "God's plan" but their loved one died for whatever reason they can't comprehend but it wasn't just a tragic, senseless death. I don't really have a problem with that aspect of it. Religion can be a valuable crutch to many people who can't otherwise handle life.

Quote:
It is true that the Old Testament is full of stories of an angry, vengeful God who promises mass destruction on nonbelievers and so forth, but it's probable that these stories are apocryphal (i.e. fables, not true).
Of course. It's a fictional storytale, just like the Quran.
Quote:
Contrast the Jewish scriptures with those of the Muslims, whose prophet Mohammed was a ruthless warrior who killed all those who would not convert, and his followers have continued to do so right down to the present day.
So the contrast is what? God commands genocide but isn't a warrior versus Mohammed commands genocide and is a warrior. I choose neither.

Quote:
Now, someone mentioned the death penalty. Thirty-nine (39) people were executed in the United States in 2013, all of them guilty beyond reasonable doubt of heinous murders.
Thank God for secularism and the rule of law.

Quote:
It was just reported that over 5,000 people were killed by Islamic terrorists last month. That's 5,000 in one month.
And the LRA has killed thousands and abducted even more for ransom or to inspire terror. Other Christian terrorist groups like the KKK and NRA exist closer to home as well.

Quote:
In the ISIS-controlled territories, they are showing the decapitated heads of prisoners to little children, to teach them to be brutal and savage warriors from an early age.

These terrorists or militants or fanatics or whatever you want to call them are subhuman savages and should be killed. Eventually it's going to take a mass extermination effort by the civilized world including the Islamic countries to stamp out this thing.
That's a typical Christian response to the problem. We went through three crusades of putting heads on a stake, none of them worked. As your fairytale book tells you, violence begets violence and evil begets evil. I get that to be religious means to ignore what you want when it's convenient. That's a requirement since it also tells you to commit genocide, after all. You chose to embrace the genocide part and disregard the evil begets evil part. I really don't know how you could rationalize those two, especially if you learned your lesson from Genesis 22 and don't think for yourself. I mean, I guess I do. If you really were successful at mindlessly following your Gods commands and leaving nothing non-Christian left alive that would work, except that it does hint at what evil would be left around by such an act. But that seldom troubles fanatics in my experience.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Default Not as Much as You Think You Do

Quote:
I'm not religious, but I find it sad that I know more about the bible than you do.

Ever read Genesis? Abraham talks about slaying his own son for his God. He's perfectly willing to and only stops when God intervenes at the last minute.
In Duerteronomy God commands genocide of non-believers.

Apparently, you know just enough to be a disservice. Ever read where Abraham was called a Christian or any person in Genesis called Christians? No, you have not because they were not. So let's start there...starting with a non-Christian Abraham considering killing his son, Isaac, in response to God's request and then NOT killing him, because God said not to is not what Islam murderers are doing. As far as it appears, their god never asks them to NOT kill people.

Abraham had that experience once and after he never did that again. He never used that as an excuse to keep up that behavior saying it was the will of his God. The God he served never asked that of him again. Totally opposite of Islamic murderers. Apparently, their god is always asking for them to kill, steal, and destroy. That is their god's nature: to kill, steal, and destroy through his followers apparently. Hmm, strange because that is Satan's mission operandi as well. Imagine that. How eerily similar the two of them are.

Trying to compare a group of people, in the Deuteronomy (Old Testament), moving through territory of another group of people and they had to kill them or they would have been killed by those people because the people did not want peace with them. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has NEVER sent his followers throughout the world to kill people who didn't serve Him or to kill non-Jews simply because they were non-Jews, NEVER. It was only in reference to and limited to territory where the people would live. That is not the same as Islam murderers kidnapping, raping, selling into slavery, or blowing up innocent men, women, and children wherever they are simply to say in the name of "Allah" has no comparison in Christianity. None. Keep reading the Bible and you will see that what I'm saying is true.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:41 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Every religion has now or in the past has had its fanatic fundamentalists. The Thugs in India believed that there killings were an act of worship to the Hindu goddess Kali. The Sepoys in their rebellion against the British hacked people to death specifically because the were Christian. The Spanish Inquisition believed that it was killing and torturing thousands in the name of Christ. And on and on.

The point is that fanatacism and fundamentalism does not equal religion, whether the perpetrators are Christian, Hindu, Muslim, or anything else. When we conflate what the crazies do with how the vast majority of people peacefully practice their religions, we're on a very slippery slope indeed.

Moreover, IMO, many times when people are denied power and control in secular and political life, they retreat to the only place they can, which is their religion. The same atrocities that would have been barbaric acts of war thus become barbaric acts of "religious" war, when the underlying problems in a given society may have very little to do with religion at all.

It ain't the fault of Islam or any other religion. Fundamentalism is the enemy, wherever its ugly head arises, and it needs to stamped out everywhere.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,691 times
Default Lies....

Quote:
No, it's not lost on me. I just find the lesson that one should mindlessly obey evil to be... evil. I prefer thinking for myself than mindlessly following evil. The lesson I learned is that religion is abhorrent because it teaches one to mindlessly obey trusting in "God's plan." Some people take solace when tragic things happen claiming that you can't understand "God's plan" but their loved one died for whatever reason they can't comprehend but it wasn't just a tragic, senseless death.

Of course. It's a fictional storytale, just like the Quran.

So the contrast is what? God commands genocide but isn't a warrior versus Mohammed commands genocide and is a warrior. I choose neither.

Thank God for secularism and the rule of law.

And the LRA has killed thousands and abducted even more for ransom or to inspire terror. Other Christian terrorist groups like the KKK and NRA exist closer to home as well.

That's a typical Christian response to the problem. We went through three crusades of putting heads on a stake, none of them worked. As your fairytale book tells you, violence begets violence and evil begets evil. I get that to be religious means to ignore what you want when it's convenient. That's a requirement since it also tells you to commit genocide, after all. You chose to embrace the genocide part and disregard the evil begets evil part. I really don't know how you could rationalize those two, especially if you learned your lesson from Genesis 22 and don't think for yourself. I mean, I guess I do. If you really were successful at mindlessly following your Gods commands and leaving nothing non-Christian left alive that would work, except that it does hint at what evil would be left around by such an act. But that seldom troubles fanatics in my experience.
Where does it tell Christians to commit genocide? Please post your evidence.
Genesis 22 is not a commandment to anyone. There are no commandment in Genesis at all which goes to prove you don't know the Bible as half as well as you think. Genesis is the beginning. The 22nd chapter is a narrative, an account of one man, Abraham, and his particular experience relevant to the one time that God asked him to sacrifice his son, Isaac, and when he showed that he would God told him not to and provided an animal to sacrifice instead.

It is not a commandment nor example of what God, the God that Christians serve (specifying because not all gods are the same even if they're called by the same name just as when we each say MOM we're not all referring to the same woman), want His followers to do. There are literally hundreds of stories in the Bible which are specific to the persons involved in the story and not a commandment for everyone else to follow. Yet, there are lessons to be learned by reading their stories without need of having to repeat their failures. All of the Bible is written FOR us but not TO us.

It is a shame that instead of simply denouncing evil someone will say "well Christians do it or have done it, too" as if that makes everything ok. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing and right is right even if no one is doing it. Even if they were Christians, they don't do it in the name of "Christ". They done in the name of their ideology be that racial so-called superiority, government, or army. Arguments like yours shows how the "god of this world" influences and distorts the mind of so many people. Otherwise, why anyone in their right mind attempt to come to the defense of Islam's heinous acts against humanity by trying to compare the experiences of one man, Abraham, thousands of years ago with the numerous rape and murders in the name of "Allah" by Islamic followers that have been happening since Islam's inception and continue to this day?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Apparently, you know just enough to be a disservice. Ever read where Abraham was called a Christian or any person in Genesis called Christians? No, you have not because they were not. So let's start there...starting with a non-Christian Abraham considering killing his son, Isaac, in response to God's request and then NOT killing him, because God said not to is not what Islam murderers are doing. As far as it appears, their god never asks them to NOT kill people.

Abraham had that experience once and after he never did that again. He never used that as an excuse to keep up that behavior saying it was the will of his God. The God he served never asked that of him again. Totally opposite of Islamic murderers. Apparently, their god is always asking for them to kill, steal, and destroy. That is their god's nature: to kill, steal, and destroy through his followers apparently. Hmm, strange because that is Satan's mission operandi as well. Imagine that. How eerily similar the two of them are.

Trying to compare a group of people, in the Deuteronomy (Old Testament), moving through territory of another group of people and they had to kill them or they would have been killed by those people because the people did not want peace with them. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has NEVER sent his followers throughout the world to kill people who didn't serve Him or to kill non-Jews simply because they were non-Jews, NEVER. It was only in reference to and limited to territory where the people would live. That is not the same as Islam murderers kidnapping, raping, selling into slavery, or blowing up innocent men, women, and children wherever they are simply to say in the name of "Allah" has no comparison in Christianity. None. Keep reading the Bible and you will see that what I'm saying is true.
I don't think anyone will dispute that calling for genocide of non-believers (Deuteronomy) is different than in the Quran. The Quran specifically calls for the genocide of polytheists and possibly Atheists (Mushrikin) who don't repent. So, yeah, it does tell them not to kill people. The bible calls for the genocide of non-believers. The bible is broader. The Quran is more graphic about the whole hunting them down, besieging them, and what not. Basically they just called for genocide of different people, which you'd suspect. It would be weird if the Quran was also calling for genocide of the Muslims like the bible did. It's really not weird that the Quran calls for genocide. The three big religions (Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism) are all very violent. It's the odd religions that don't like Buddhism or Sikhism (violence only in self-defense).

Christianity has made some important advances. For example, nowadays the bible is available for most people so if they read it they might question the crusades whereas at the time you basically trusted the clergy which, as history demonstrates, is even more dangerous than blindly following the bible is.

I do agree, though. Wrong is wrong. A lot of the wrong done in this world is done in the name of religion, but it's not like religion holds the monopoly on that either.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-18-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 02:59 PM

24,475 posts, read 17,215,678 times
These ISIS Idiots need to be exterminated. How can so many have no empathy for another human life?
Are we seeing another rise of a NAZI type regime? It would be nice jsut to push a button and send them all to meet their maker to answer for their crimes.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:02 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Meanwhile radio news is reporting that in Nigeria the Islamic State representative, Boko Haram has taken another 185 girls to be wives for the Mujahadeen

Old 12-18-2014, 03:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Well said Klassy
'It is a shame that instead of simply denouncing evil someone will say "well Christians do it or have done it, too" as if that makes everything ok. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing and right is right even if no one is doing it. Even if they were Christians, they don't do it in the name of "Christ". They done in the name of their ideology be that racial so-called superiority, government, or army. Arguments like yours shows how the "god of this world" influences and distorts the mind of so many people. Otherwise, why anyone in their right mind attempt to come to the defense of Islam's heinous acts against humanity by trying to compare the experiences of one man, Abraham, thousands of years ago with the numerous rape and murders in the name of "Allah" by Islamic followers that have been happening since Islam's inception and continue to this day?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events