Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Based on my own experience it may be that they grew up watching people go through bad marriages. If people are adulterous and do not love and respect one another, it may be better to get divorced. In addition, some women in the old days married someone so they could make a living, because employment options were limited.

Getting married to a man with a job was the only way for many women to afford a home and comfortable retirement. So some of them put up with a lot for money, unless the man left them for another woman it seems. Now there is a better chance that a woman can make a living and have a retirement etc. even if she is not married, so there is less incentive for them to stay in a bad marriage.

IMO a bigger question is why so many of us end up in relationships with unsuitable partners. That's one for the ages.
yea and in the good old days, wealthy people stayed married but most carried on dalliances on the side and no one batted an eye.

And yes, why end up with unsuitable partners? Religion stresses the staying married thing and again how many of those marriages have ended in scandal? Even priests can't keep it in their pants. Might as well admit that we are just lustful animals - lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't think most of us know ourselves, who we are, until around 30. Lust dominates in early marriage. Friendship, shared life goals, and lust share importance in later, successful marriages.
Exactly

Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think financial stress is the main reason marriages fail quickly.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not being shamed or otherwise expected to stick with something that is obviously not working. Having the education, legal and financial resources and protections to leave a bad situation if needed.
True, and people change so much from 20-30. Besides, not everyone is made for marriage. Why in our society is it expected that all people will find bliss in marriage is beyond me: Some people are just plain toxic: I know so many A-hols that should never have gotten married. Some like being single, amd some are just picky and will never find someone to match them.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM

760 posts, read 767,805 times
Because marriage is a failure as proven by the 50% divorce rate.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
One of the best pieces of advice my father ever gave me was not to get married in my 20's. because you are a completely different person by the time you turn 30, and he was correct.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
This, 100 times over. Like many women, in my early 20's I'd have married just about any nice guy who asked. I lucked out and found a good one, but we also played it safe with a relatively long engagement and put off having kids. We're stilling going strong 15 years later, and are indeed completely different people than we were at 22... but I think we expected that we would be change, so it wasn't a big shock or disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bc verrrry few people in their 20s know themselves well enough or have enough judgment to choose well.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I got married at 23, which might be on the younger side of average in San Francisco (though probably very late by say, Texas standards).

Regardless of my age, I truly believe most conflicts can be worked out.

There are only 3 situations in which I would divorce (and in these situations, I would immediately walk out right then and there. There would be no compromises, no second chances, no delay. I would pack my bags that minute, and he would only ever see me again in court).

- any type of infidelity
- domestic violence
- if he clearly stated that he doesn't want to be married anymore and doesn't love me anymore

Anything else can and should be worked out IMO. When it comes down to it, I see marriage as us as partners in crime for life!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:29 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Nothing is meant to last.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:10 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I got married at 23, which might be on the younger side of average in San Francisco (though probably very late by say, Texas standards)
What a strange thing to say. Actually, according to Pew Research, the average age of first marriage for females is 25.7 in Texas and 27.3 in California.

"The Median Age of Marriage in Every State in the U.S., in Two Maps"
By Eileen Shim June 27, 2014

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-21-2014 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Add reference source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events