Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to go to Cuba to find out what the hell is over there?
Yes, it will be like going in a haunted house 70 59.32%
No, I don't have any interested in going there 48 40.68%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to going there. If you are anti-Cuba, you clearly grew up during the Cold War where you were sold propaganda that Cuba is bad. That is such an old and archaic view of the world and Cuba. It's nice to see that both the United States and Cuba are growing up and getting past this pettiness. It's just silly. Cuba is a beautiful country with a vibrant culture. Let this feud and bul$#$# go and open our borders. It's silly really. And I have a feeling that in 20 years, the borders will be completely open and we will good relations with Cuba including commerce. I grew up during the Cold War and this is my geezer generation and I'm sick of this crap. I'm in my 50's

I don't understand how anyone less than 30 would be opposed to Cuba unless they were brainwashed by older conservative relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't know why anyone would be opposed to going there. If you are anti-Cuba, you clearly grew up during the Cold War where you were sold propaganda that Cuba is bad. That is such an old and archaic view of the world and Cuba. It's nice to see that both the United States and Cuba are growing up and getting past this pettiness. It's just silly. Cuba is a beautiful country with a vibrant culture. Let this feud and bul$#$# go and open our borders. It's silly really. And I have a feeling that in 20 years, the borders will be completely open and we will good relations with Cuba including commerce. I grew up during the Cold War and this is my geezer generation and I'm sick of this crap. I'm in my 50's

I don't understand how anyone less than 30 would be opposed to Cuba unless they were brainwashed by older conservative relatives.
Neither choice in the poll is exactly reasonable.

I would like to go, but at the same time I have no desire to pump money into the Cuban economy which will help the Communists shore up their power.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
I can visit a garbage dump any time I want. Why visit one with pictures of Fidel scattered around?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 PM

412 posts, read 545,368 times
Would love to go to Cuba.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I have heard of a number of people going to Cuba already. They fly through Canada.

I have no great desire however. My only trip to the Caribbean was to Saint Lucia.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's nice to see that both the United States and Cuba are growing up and getting past this pettiness. It's just silly.
Exactly what secret evidence do you have that Cuba is getting past anything?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/wo...rule.html?_r=0

Sounds like the same old same old tired Marxism to me. This is all about Obama getting kudos from his peanut gallery than about meaningful change on Cuba.

Feel free to engage in wishful thinking if you want. By your age, though, one would think you'd outgrown it.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would like to see Cuba opened up to the world .

Cuba has already opened up to the world and has all the vices that every where has, including increasing income and wealth inequity, drug addiction and crime. This on top of having the most oppressive government in the Americas.

Only ONE nation is closed to Cuba!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I can visit a garbage dump any time I want. Why visit one with pictures of Fidel scattered around?

And yet there is far more to Cuba. Do you know that with 3 million visitors annually Cuba is the SECOND most visited Caribbean island behind the DR? While Cuba certainly has its problems, as do other countries like the DR and Jamaica for that matter, it also has its attractions.

Last edited by caribny; 12-20-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Exactly what secret evidence do you have that Cuba is getting past anything?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/wo...rule.html?_r=0

Sounds like the same old same old tired Marxism to me. This is all about Obama getting kudos from his peanut gallery than about meaningful change on Cuba.

Feel free to engage in wishful thinking if you want. By your age, though, one would think you'd outgrown it.

I am of mixed minds on this, and in any case all that has been established is that the USA will have a more direct diplomatic presence. The embargo is far from over.

Now Castro and his gang have their plans but that doesn't mean that they will have their way. There will NOT be massive US investment in Cuba until that nation becomes one of laws and not one of decree by two geriatrics. Americans will visit out of curiosity, but if Cuba doesn't offer a product of the quality of Mexico and the rest of the Caribbean, they will not return, once they have seen what it is like.

So Cuba will have to evolve. In any case what will be the excuse if the embargo is over? They cannot blame "US capitalists" if they are begging and pleading for US investors!

I ask those who endorse the embargo to tell us why the Castro regime still remains as strong and as oppressive as it ever was? So much so that even though Fidel is near death, and Raul not that strong either there is no evidence that the death of the Castro brothers will end Castro-ism.

FACT. If one does what one has done for 50 years then why be shocked that there is no change? For the USA to have influence over Cuba when the Castro brothers die, which will not be that long from now, they need to have a presence there. What has been established in all of this is that neither the US gov't nor the US private sector really knows what is happening in Cuba because they are isolated from it.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
I want to buy a planation in cuba and grow sugar, mango, coffee, and bananas for export. I also want to make Cuba an American commonwealth like puerto rico like it should have been. Way to much potential on that island to have it in the hands of communists. It is prime real estate and 90 miles from the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events