Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because it's 1000x more newsworthy.

Race-based executions of public officials are very rare in the U.S. Random killing sprees are a daily occurrence in the U.S. This is why people are questioning what you're talking about.

Obviously all murders are not equal in terms of newsworthiness. If the pope or the president were killed tomorrow, it would be far more newsworthy than if two gang members were killed in El Salvador, even if 2 is more than 1. I thought this is fairly obvious, but I guess not...

It IS just another day in America. It has nothing to do with a mindset. It happens every single day. You seem to be the only one not understanding this (there are 10,000 murders in the U.S. annually; there are close to 0 race-based public executions annually, hence the diffeerence).
Yeah, I remember when Sandy Hook, Aurora, CA, the DC Sniper, etc., barely got any media and C-D pub because those were just another day in America-type shootings.

I'll be sure to pay no mind the next time some loser shoots up an elementary school or kills half their family, because that's apparently now par for the course.

There are factors in both cases that take this beyond the scope of a 'normal' murder-suicide. This murder is obviously unique in both the manner and reasoning for it, but to downplay an incident where 6 people were murdered in a premeditated attack is ridiculous and insensitive.

I also am not sure where you're getting this race-based idea, unless you're talking about the recent deaths of Black men at the hands of officers, and not the race of the officers killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He was a bastard that wanted an excuse to kill a cop. If he was do hell-bent on murdering police officers why didn't he do it in Maryland? Why here??

Crazy bastard. I'm glad he's dead.

I also hate the fact that convict ex-police commissioner Bernie Kerick is commenting on this matter. Why the hell are they giving him press?? He's a felon with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Why is he speaking on cop matters?
Well, I think it's pretty obvious. He didn't want to drive all the way to Ferguson. Did you not get the connection? He pretty much spelled it out.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
There are people on social media blaming Jesse Jackson for this as well. Why??

Jackson has NOT been here nor has he commented.

Why is he being lumped into this situation?

The last time we heard from him was on the Trayvon Martin matter.

This isn't fair to him. He's been laying low for awhile.
Thankfully. Maybe he figured that he had enough egg on his face. However, his reputation endures.

ETA: Sorry, I thought you knew what you were talking about. I did a quick search and discovered that no, you don't. I don't bother much with typical news outlets, so I haven't seen his mug on TV. However, it seems he's had a comment and a protest to lead about most EVERYTHING that's happened since Trayvon.

Last edited by JWG223; 12-21-2014 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: ETA for missing info.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Boosane,

I knew officer Ramos. It's really sad to read that. It's the first time I'm seeing it.
My condolences.

The executions of these two policemen are certainly a calculated escalation. The Michael Brown/Eric Garner supporter who killed these cops hurt his cause rather than helped it. This nutjob's murderous acts could be compared to spitting into the wind....it come back at ya! Police officers do not tolerate violence against their fellow officers. The "thin blue line" won't sit idly by while cops are targeted and murdered by malcontents emboldened by the protest spirit currently sweeping the USA. As I said, this is a serious escalation.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Thankfully. Maybe he figured that he had enough egg on his face. However, his reputation endures.
They still shouldn't mention his name in any of this as he's never commented about any of these incidents.

Jesse has not talked to the Garner, Gurley or Brown families. To say that he needs to be "arrested" and "charged with murder", along with Sharpton and the usual suspects is outrageous. For what??

What's he done??

Old 12-21-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
They still shouldn't mention his name in any of this as he's never commented about any of these incidents.

Jesse has not talked to the Garner, Gurley or Brown families. To say that he needs to be "arrested" and "charged with murder", along with Sharpton and the usual suspects is outrageous. For what??

What's he done??
Jesse ran his gob a plenty over the Brown deal. Led protests. Blocked traffic. He again ran his gob over the whole Garner deal. I don't know if he specifically talked to the families, or not. But he sure was right there with the protestors, causing drama. He's CONSTANTLY causing drama. It's his livelihood.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, I remember when Sandy Hook, Aurora, CA, the DC Sniper, etc., barely got any media and C-D pub because those were just another day in America-type shootings.
Except they weren't. Everything you mentioned was a huge news event, for obvious reasons.

Do you need us to tell you the reasons why the two greatest schools massacres in history are more newsworthy than other killings, or why a months-long sniper manhunt was more newsworthy than other killings?
Quote:
I'll be sure to pay no mind the next time some loser shoots up an elementary school or kills half their family, because that's apparently now par for the course.
Yes, it is par for the course. This happens every day in America. But Sandy Hook doesn't happen every day, hence the difference. Cop executions don't happen every day, hence the difference.

Quote:
There are factors in both cases that take this beyond the scope of a 'normal' murder-suicide. This murder is obviously unique in both the manner and reasoning for it, but to downplay an incident where 6 people were murdered in a premeditated attack is ridiculous and insensitive.
Nice strawman, but no one downplayed it. You were the one who brought it up, and complained that it wasn't as receiving as many posts as race-based assassinations of cops. If you personally feel that this Pennsylvania murder, which was a major headline all across America, is not receiving enough comments, then go post 1000 comments so you feel better about yourself.
Quote:
I also am not sure where you're getting this race-based idea, unless you're talking about the recent deaths of Black men at the hands of officers, and not the race of the officers killed.
Aha, I get it, the black panthers are not an organization concerned with race, correct? The recent tension over police incidents has nothing to do with race, correct? And the fact that a black panther killed two non-blacks is entirely coincidental, is that your claim?

Apparently the black panthers are called as such because of their animal rights advocacy for the dwindling panther population in subtropical climes. Has nothing at all to do with race. Who knew?

Old 12-21-2014, 01:35 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmppm View Post
I am not going to blame anyone but the killer. What a scumbag.

Rip, officers.
The killer should be the only blame in any murder. Not the gun, knife, bullets etc.
He was however egged on to do this via protests, the media, WH, Samuel Jackson, etc etc. He felt this was a thing worth doing for the "staying the course", as Obama told the Furgeson protesters.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
He was a bastard that wanted an excuse to kill a cop. If he was do hell-bent on murdering police officers why didn't he do it in Maryland? Why here??
Because Ferguson is much further from Maryland. He said he wanted "revenge"...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:47 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
Why are you race baiting?
There's race baiting....and then there's stating facts. Huge difference. Stubborn thing those damn facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events