Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,209,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Like what exactly?

What people fail to realize is that first of all, he was on probation. Secondly, it was the business owners trying to make an honest living that called the cops in the first place.

Who do you think is buying those single cigarettes? It's people who can't afford to buy their own cigarettes legally. That means those business owners would have had teen thugs, drunks and other undesirables hanging out in front of their businesses.

Do you think that's going to make honest hardworking citizens want to shop in that store? With over 30 arrests under Garners belt for more than selling loosies, you'd think maybe he would have gotten the hint that he shouldnt' do that anymore? There was no other option other than to arrest him.
You have the facts misconstrued. The business owners have indeed complained about his selling of lose cigarettes in the past. ON THE DAY THIS MAN DIED, the police were not called because he was selling lose cigarettes. They were called because of the fight that was taking place, for which Eric broke up.

The businesses in that area should not have had a concern with him selling lose cigarettes, considering there are no other stores within the immediate distance to purchase cigarettes. The location and immediate area consist of taxi cab spot, a dollar store, a chinese beauty supply store, a second hand shop, and another sort of deli. That's it. I doubt seriously Eric was that big of a problem selling those lose cigarettes. He'd been doing it for years. I think with "broken windows" being touted as the best way to keep violent crime down is a lie. There is no evidence to support that arresting people for selling and not collecting tax on a cigarette at a time can lend itself to violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It occurs to me these "protests" have been occurring in liberal strongholds: Washington DC, Berkeley CA, St Louis MO, NY NY, Mall of America, MN....not conservative states.

I find that perfect.
What about Canada? What about London? What about the Medical Students of at least 70 medical schools (including New York) who have done something in this regard? Do you want us to believe that all of these are "conservative leaning?" Oregon certainly is not, and yet they have had their share of protests. Hardly in Blacks in Portland.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Maybe people need to shut up and stop complaining. It's always black people that complain then for whatever reason white liberals who no nothing about their situation jump on the bandwagon because it's an excuse to complain about the government.
This is a very intrinsic right of being an American. Is this wrong? Or is it because you just don't agree? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And his point went over your head. So a judge ruled "stop & frisk" unconstitutional and yet is perfectly fine at airports by people with barely any law enforcement training at all?
Don't you just love the Patriot Act?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,810,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Don't you just love the Patriot Act?
Thank you former president bush. Gotta love the name he chose. Patriot. WOW! It amazes me how people don't realize that the GOP actually takes freedom away and it never comes back.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,883,466 times
Quote:
You have the facts misconstrued. The business owners have indeed complained about his selling of lose cigarettes in the past. ON THE DAY THIS MAN DIED, the police were not called because he was selling lose cigarettes. They were called because of the fight that was taking place, for which Eric broke up.

The businesses in that area should not have had a concern with him selling lose cigarettes, considering there are no other stores within the immediate distance to purchase cigarettes. The location and immediate area consist of taxi cab spot, a dollar store, a chinese beauty supply store, a second hand shop, and another sort of deli. That's it. I doubt seriously Eric was that big of a problem selling those lose cigarettes. He'd been doing it for years. I think with "broken windows" being touted as the best way to keep violent crime down is a lie. There is no evidence to support that arresting people for selling and not collecting tax on a cigarette at a time can lend itself to violent crime.
Here's what confuses the hell out of me... It's real bad to sell loose ciggs but selling pot is just fine and should be legal?
Weird life these days.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,174,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here's what confuses the hell out of me... It's real bad to sell loose ciggs but selling pot is just fine and should be legal?
Weird life these days.
NY has lost a lot of money due to the high tax on their cigarettes.
So the entire state cracked down hard on black market cigarettes and selling loosies.

This big crack down along with a strike force was issued by the Governor back in March 2014.
NYC has the highest tax on cigarettes. Nearly 60% of cigarettes bought in NYC are from the Black Market and NYC has lost tens of billions in tax revenue because of it.

Governor Cuomo Announces New Strike Force to Crack Down on Illegal Cigarette and Tobacco Trafficking and Sales | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,411,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here's what confuses the hell out of me.....
Taxes. NYC and NY state taxes the hell out of everything. There should be no confusion when you realize this is why the police are being forced to worry about individual ciggs.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,081,831 times
Quote:

If you knew the area, you'd know that line I bolded was complete bs.

and who are you to decide that the local businesses shouldn't have had a concern about a man selling loosies in the vicinity of their shops? Who do you think is going to buy those loosies IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD?
What kind of person is going to buy them? Like I said before, you're going to get thugs, drunks, homeless people, and druggies hanging out buying them.

For those who aren't familiar with the area. Let's just say it's got an above average crime rate and not the best of neighborhoods.

I never even mentioned taxes but the posters above are correct. It's the gov and the mayor who insisted on police cracking down on those selling untaxed cigarettes. Why? Because they're trying to get rid of the undesirables so they can revitalize the area to bring in more tourists dollars.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:00 AM

15,579 posts, read 10,296,771 times
Quote:
What about Canada? What about London? What about the Medical Students of at least 70 medical schools (including New York) who have done something in this regard? Do you want us to believe that all of these are "conservative leaning?" Oregon certainly is not, and yet they have had their share of protests. Hardly in Blacks in Portland.
You completely misunderstood my point and I have no interest in trying to explain it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events