Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
You're right, there's not a thing I can do to help them. And I'm not going to enable anybody, I give to people who've earned it.

I used to give money on the streets, then I became aware that most if it goes to support their self-destructive habits. They shouldn't make their problems everybody elses problems.
I don't care what they do with the few bucks I give them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:37 AM

677 posts, read 672,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't care what they do with the few bucks I give them.
Hope nobody ever od'ed due to your 'gift.'

Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Hope nobody ever od'ed due to your 'gift.'
If they did that's on their hands, not mine. Nice try though.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM

677 posts, read 672,552 times
Quote:
You really don't care then, what matters is what makes you feel good. Nice.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You really don't care then, what matters is what makes you feel good. Nice.
Ok.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Thing is, if i give someone something in good faith knowing in my heart that i gave it to them for the right reasons, I really don't care what they do with it.

Wanna go buy some booze? Fine with me. If booze gives you a little relief, then who am i to complain?

Wanna go score some dope?l Oh well...I'll just assume that you need to escape reality if even for a brief moment. Hell, all of us wanna escape from time to time. No skin off my back.

Bottom line is that if i can't afford to give it to you, then i won't. If i give it to you, then it's yours to do with it as you please.
This is a really awful attitude to have.

You realize that most of these people are on Medicare and probably do not pay any taxes. Your little $50 "feel good, I don't care what you do with it" gift could lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills.

You're picking the most vulnerable addicts, those that have such severe drug problems that they have let everything else fall by the wayside and saying "here, party up". Poverty is the only thing keeping some of these folks sober.

That's kind of a d*ck move if you ask me.

Quote:
And possibly on the hands of the medical personnel that have to come pick him up, maybe the dude he assaulted after getting high, the person who died because an ambulance crew was busy dealing with him.

But at least it's not on YOUR hands. That's something to feel good about, right?

Last edited by mkarch; 12-28-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
How come this doesn't happen to everybody who takes pain medication? Or is it just the weak?
It usually happens to people who are weak in the sense of having little self-discipline or even who are just plain too dumb to figure a way out. Some people ARE like that. Weakness does not merit contempt ...... the OP guy was probably weak, but still a decent human being.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
How come this doesn't happen to everybody who takes pain medication? Or is it just the weak?
Good question. Several years ago I was having horrible joint pain. The last five or six weeks before I had hip and knee replacement I was taking some really strong narcotics. I had both replacement operations within about a nine week period and by the time I had my second surgery I had been taking really strong pain killers for about three months. After the second surgery I didn't take anything for pain although I was still having significant back pain. I told the Doctor I didn't want to take the chance of becoming addicted.

My addiction is not drugs. I have had a lifelong addiction to food. When I was younger i was extremely active physically . I had physically demanding jobs and sports and hobbies kept me from packing on fat pounds. However by the time I was in sixth grade (11 YO) I weighed 200# and was 5'6"".I had absolutely no control over my appetite. That is my weakness. I haven't got a clue about the cravings alcoholics or drug addicts go through , I just know how bad food cravings can be.

The social stigma in being overweight is probably worse than being an alcoholic or a drug addict. When I was in elementary school I didn't get teased by most of the other kids mainly because I could run faster than they could and I was extremely strong and could pound the crap out of them if need be. The kids of today cannot react to the bullying because there is a zero tolerance to fighting in schools today. Talk about a "Catch 22"!

Gunluvver2

Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,179 times
I know I sound like a cynical Scrooge, but that video looks totally fake and staged. It's amazing how they managed to find perfect locations and camera angles to shoot the man doing his good deeds.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:48 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I know I sound like a cynical Scrooge, but that video looks totally fake and staged. It's amazing how they managed to find perfect locations and camera angles to shoot the man doing his good deeds.
The video could very well be staged, but I've found the poorest amongst us to be the most generous.

Folks who work with the homeless have said the same thing. I have no agenda, no dog in this fight, so to speak. I've read some books though, and the have- nots in America have been shown to be generous with what they have. I'm not talking about the scamming panhandlers who are wearing better shoes than you and I ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events