Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It might be fake actually. Walks into a liquor store and comes out with food? Really? What are the odds of that? I think it is a faked video, but it is a feel good one and they are rare, so it isn't that big of a deal. Let the fake video be enjoyed by people for a while before they realize how amazingly rare it would be for a man to get food from a liquor store. Nice little fake vid. Good job.
I see you live in PA, where I spent a few months some time ago. You might not be aware that PA has some very strange and strict rules about selling liquor and even beer. If I remember correctly, liquor is only sold at state-owned stores? The one I went to had no food for sale.

Here in California, liquor stores can sell groceries, and grocery stores can sell liquor, on any day or at any time (in general - I suppose it's possible that some local govts don't allow it on their turf).

I don't know where the video was filmed.

(edit: it was filmed in Anaheim CA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I've always been good to my family ... Therefore, if I develop a mental problem, they'll help me. AND, my "chest isn't out," I'm just stating facts. Most of them have made bad decisions, not my problem.

Do you have that in writing? Ever been laid off? I have. You would be surprised at how many people do absolutely nothing to assist you. I'm not talking about loaning you money, I mean not even offering or suggesting sending them your resume so they can assist with you job hunt.

It was a real eye opener.

They may help you right into the county mental ward.

As the old song says "nobody knows you when you're down and out".

You don't know how or why people end up in these situations.

Shame on you.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I see you live in PA, where I spent a few months some time ago. You might not be aware that PA has some very strange and strict rules about selling liquor and even beer. If I remember correctly, liquor is only sold at state-owned stores? The one I went to had no food for sale.
You are correct, but come on, you know this thing is a couple of actors. He walked into a Liquor Store because it works for the plot. It is a message to not judge people so easily, but lets face it, this thing isn't real. Sort of like the Sony movie hack. How much money is being made on that thing due to that great marketing ploy.

One thing about the Internet, it is filled with that kind of thing. Heck even the news media is pretty much made up or full of some shock value agenda. Michael Brown is a prime example of how you can rob a store, go for a cop's gun and charge a cop, but be looked upon as a victim. I just look at all of it as entertainment as it should be. It is so hard to find a real story, that I think you have to actually LIVE it and not get a fake feed from your smartphone. Smartphone is the opposite of what it really is. It is made to make people dumb and it is working perfectly.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:44 PM

677 posts, read 672,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
desert's point flew right over your head, didn't it? Sit & think about it for a moment: you could become homeless at any time.
Sure, if I develop a drug or alcohol addiction. If I get ill, my bills are low and I have enough invested in Social Security to cover my ass. Ending up on the streets, as a homeless man once told me, "is a process." Usually helped along by bad decisions.

Last edited by Better Than You; 12-25-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Do you have that in writing? Ever been laid off? I have. You would be surprised at how many people do absolutely nothing to assist you. I'm not talking about loaning you money, I mean not even offering or suggesting sending them your resume so they can assist with you job hunt.

It was a real eye opener.

They may help you right into the county mental ward.

As the old song says "nobody knows you when you're down and out".

You don't know how or why people end up in these situations.

Shame on you.
I know why the vast majority of them end up on the streets. Shame on YOU for being so naive.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You are correct, but come on, you know this thing is a couple of actors. He walked into a Liquor Store because it works for the plot. It is a message to not judge people so easily, but lets face it, this thing isn't real. Sort of like the Sony movie hack. How much money is being made on that thing due to that great marketing ploy.

One thing about the Internet, it is filled with that kind of thing. Heck even the news media is pretty much made up or full of some shock value agenda. Michael Brown is a prime example of how you can rob a store, go for a cop's gun and charge a cop, but be looked upon as a victim. I just look at all of it as entertainment as it should be. It is so hard to find a real story, that I think you have to actually LIVE it and not get a fake feed from your smartphone. Smartphone is the opposite of what it really is. It is made to make people dumb and it is working perfectly.
Some people would rather live in a fantasy world where the "down and out" are kind and benevolent and the working man who pays his bills and takes care of business is a capitalist pig.
There are exceptions to every rule, and I'm sure there are Jesus-like homeless out there, but it's very rare. Most on the streets will tell you it's a "dog eat dog." And, yes, I've taken the time to talk to people living on the streets of Philadelphia.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:02 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This video will squash a lot of people's fantasies. Thanks for putting it up.
I have not read any other post as of yet, but it does not surprise me that people will try to imply this would be the norm.
Aside from the fact this all might be staged based on who filmed/set it up, rest assured most people would not take the $100 and spend it on others.
Many are druggies and drunks who will blow it that way. That is not to mention the cons who go home every night and laugh at the suckers who are stupid enough to give them cash for begging.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
be staged based on who filmed/set it up....
It was staged I'll bet. Still a nice little message even though you won't find too many homeless that would do that. Great fun though and the Internet is all about entertainment, not fact. If you want facts, you will have to live your life and experience facts, not pretend the Internet has them. Mostly all propaganda and agenda stuff. Just funny really.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
I've always been good to my family ... Therefore, if I develop a mental problem, they'll help me. AND, my "chest isn't out," I'm just stating facts. Most of them have made bad decisions, not my problem.
No one says that it's your problem. We're all saying that this COULD be YOUR problem, and in a very personal way.

You think every homeless guy was bad to his family, or didn't have family members that said "i'll always be there for you?"

What people SAY they'll do and what they'll actually do are often two different things. Retirement homes are full of senior citizens that are abandoned by their family members who once said "i'll take care of you mom/dad."

Again, what happens to them can happen to you because you're a human. You can lose a job, you can get sick, you can make one bad decision, or you can be abandoned by your family members in your time of need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
desert's point flew right over your head, didn't it? Sit & think about it for a moment: you could become homeless at any time.
This is how people are...they're cocky and arrogant. They think they're above it all and develop this strange belief that they're immune to the same problems that can befall everyone else. They don't realize that plenty of homeless people thought the same thing at one time.

Quote:
Sure, if I develop a drug or alcohol addiction. If I get ill, my bills are low and I have enough invested in Social Security to cover my ass. Ending up on the streets, as a homeless man once told me, "is a process." Usually helped along by bad decisions.
Everything in life is a process. Our whole lives lead to wherever we are in life. Even if you're doing good, the bad things in our history are still part of the process.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one says that it's your problem. We're all saying that this COULD be YOUR problem, and in a very personal way.

You think every homeless guy was bad to his family, or didn't have family members that said "i'll always be there for you?"

What people SAY they'll do and what they'll actually do are often two different things. Retirement homes are full of senior citizens that are abandoned by their family members who once said "i'll take care of you mom/dad."

Again, what happens to them can happen to you because you're a human. You can lose a job, you can get sick, you can make one bad decision, or you can be abandoned by your family members in your time of need.

This is how people are...they're cocky and arrogant. They think they're above it all and develop this strange belief that they're immune to the same problems that can befall everyone else. They don't realize that plenty of homeless people thought the same thing at one time.

Everything in life is a process. Our whole lives lead to wherever we are in life. Even if you're doing good, the bad things in our history are still part of the process.
I do realize that life can change in an instant ... I'm not cocky or arrogant, but through hard work and rational decisions I've set MYSELF up financially so that I won't be on the streets.

And I realize not ALL homeless are lazy junkies, drunks and scam artists, but most are. Some of them are people who can't hold a job simply because nobody is going to tell them what to do.

Last edited by Better Than You; 12-25-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events