Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:14 AM

677 posts, read 672,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And shame on you for being so naïve to think that Social Security is even going to be around for you to collect.
HAHA! It will ... those of your ilk have been saying that since the 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why would I do that?
Because you seem to care so strongly about the homeless. What are you doing to help?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Surprisingly enough, most homeless addicts didn't get into their drug of choice with the intention of becoming homeless "scum". The way that you, in particular, might get trapped by an addictive drug is simple enough ....... if you're in excruciating pain, say in the hospital after a terrible accident, you will want and receive painkillers - and the only ones that work for the highest levels of pain are addictive. The doctor's idea is to wean you off after the pain has subsided, but some take longer than anticipated for the pain to go down ...... you may imagine you could tough it out and get off when you don't need it, and most people do - but others have noticed that in addition to relieving pain, the drug makes you feel incredibly good (not everyone has that total euphoria).

Try to get off it, and you feel tense, nauseous, depressed, anxious ....... you puke, have violent diarrhea, your muscles twitch and cramp ...... so you find excuses to get just one more prescription, after which you promise yourself to get off it. But then you try to do so, but something bad happens to you one day soon after and you just want to relax and feel good again, so you get back on it - just one last time.

After a few weeks or months, you find the original dose wasn't working for you, so you take just a little bit more ...... but your doctor won't go along with that program, and you have to score some at great expense out on the street, maybe some oxycodone or heroin.

You keep at that for a while, but eventually you start using up your rent money for the drug. Soon you get evicted for non-payment. Friends and family are more than happy to let you couch surf at first, but after a while they can't handle the situation with your mood swings and your drug pals being around all day and night. Eventually no one will let you stay, and then you become homeless junkie scum.

It can happen to almost anyone.
How come this doesn't happen to everybody who takes pain medication? Or is it just the weak?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
SMH...more silliness.
So, do you make decisions and choices that you have no control over? Now, THAT's silly. SMH.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, it's a shame ..... but you shouldn't call them nasty names and act like they're subhuman ...... or at least realize that by far most of them aren't subhuman. The truly subhuman ones usually end up in prison or get rich.
My problem is with the beggers who want money for booze and/or drugs (the majority of the homeless) ... A working guy who's down on his luck, not so much, but they seem pretty rare.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
TY so much!!!

People like whogo don't seem to possess compassion, treating all these posts like it's some sort of joke. To liken the typical homeless person to a hooker is an insult, and tells me everything I need to know about their state of mind.

People like that make the case for trolls being Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists.
Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists | Psychology Today

It's hard to believe some here are so thoughtless and indifferent.

CHEERING!
What are you doing to help the homeless?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:31 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
awwwwwww

Old 12-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Pride. For your sake, i hope you dont experience hardship or your fall will be worse than the homeless. Quit thumping your puny chest and buzz off.

The homeless guy in the initial video clearly indicated that he was a victim of circumstance...quitting his job to care for his step dad and mother who's bills wiped out their savings, essentially, rendering him homeless in the process. He didnt choose to be homeless. Get off your high horse and stop being an arrogant jerk.

We are not advocating for junkies but the few homeless that are struggling because of circumstances that could befall the average working citizen.
"Thumping my chest?" lol Why, because I said I'm setting myself up to try NOT to end up on the streets. Shame on me! lol I realize things can happen, go back and read my posts ... or do you just pick out certain buzz words to jump on?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Because you seem to care so strongly about the homeless. What are you doing to help?
More than you, I give them a couple bucks if I have it on me.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
More than you, I give them a couple bucks if I have it on me.
You're right, there's not a thing I can do to help them. And I'm not going to enable anybody, so I give to people who've earned it.

I used to give money on the streets, then I became aware that most if it goes to support their self-destructive habits. They shouldn't make their problems everybody elses problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events