U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:17 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see the problem with saying happy holidays, it's safer than thinking everyone else's religion is your own. I mean some people do get offended when you say Merry Christmas and they are Jewish and don't celebrate it (unlike my sister-in-law who celebrates it.)

I can understand that some people hate pc but it does help from creating blunders. This person just went too far with their dislike of the PC world we now need to live in.
Yeah, the holidays are Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years. Happy Holidays catches the whole season. Christmas is just one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:22 PM

12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The founding fathers would be so proud. Their dream is realized.
Did the founding fathers celebrate Christmas? I hadn't heard that. I know Christmas was banned in at least two colonies and not generally celebrated anywhere but German settlements, but perhaps freedom of religion had relaxed that by the time the constitution was written?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:41 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,433,504 times
I don't say merry Christmas anymore but I do say happy holidays.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:59 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,837,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think anyone in the right mind is arguing that saying "Happy Holidays" is a problem.
You'd be surprised. I've been yelled at for saying Happy Holidays. Perfect strangers angrily correcting me that I should be saying Merry Christmas.

As I've said before (not sure if it's this thread or another), I say Happy Holidays not because of some sense of PC-ness, but because I'm wishing good tidings over a span of time that involves multiple holidays, particularly toward the end of December when Christmas and New Years come so close together.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:12 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,826,515 times
Well, I think noone should say anything. Some people have depression around the holidays and you might offend them by appearing to not be depressed. Can't have any offending, now!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:28 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Did the founding fathers celebrate Christmas? I hadn't heard that. I know Christmas was banned in at least two colonies and not generally celebrated anywhere but German settlements, but perhaps freedom of religion had relaxed that by the time the constitution was written?
Well, I can't say for sure whether they celebrated Christmas. Washington and the troops sure did work on Christmas, so that settles that. But that wasn't my point.

The founding fathers resenting UK's (and Europe's) ways of doing things and their inability to adapt to change. So they purposely created a nation that is free to adapt as we move forward. They saw that our ability to change with times would be what differentiates us from Europe. This is not the first time they've been right. Our ability to adapt has allowed us to stay ahead of other nations and be a leader. Shifting away from acknowledging a single holiday to multiple holidays is one step of many in the right direction (according to the founding fathers). Thomas Jefferson has written on this in great detail.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,744,459 times
I always tell people Happy Kwanza (another fake holiday).. If they say Merry Xmas or Happy Holidays or whatever I say right back cheerily - Happy Kwanza....

And since I am White as White can be I think it throws them off...

Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I always tell people Happy Kwanza (another fake holiday).. If they say Merry Xmas or Happy Holidays or whatever I say right back cheerily - Happy Kwanza....

What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:14 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,616,660 times
Just say "Happy Whatever" and be done with it.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,826,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

Is Kwanzaa Black or African in origin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or