U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
10,201 posts, read 7,854,157 times
Reputation: 5100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What a douchebag. I don't celebrate Christmas anymore, but when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I take it in the spirit in which it was intended. Those people are hoping you have a happy day . I fail to see the harm there.
^This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2014, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,344 posts, read 12,198,284 times
Reputation: 8830
He needs to go in this flight pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,199 posts, read 24,094,701 times
Reputation: 31155
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's not politically correct, it's grammatically correct. I wish people Happy Holidays because I'm wishing them well for the entire period from Thanksgiving to New Years, and all the holidays in between. Holidays ... PLURAL. Apparently you only want people to wish you well for one day.

I think this is important to include here ...
Thank you! You too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,352,436 times
Reputation: 17664
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
People who are unhappy and have miserable lives want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.
Pretty sad, really.
That's not always true. I'm pretty miserable right now , and I do not wish that on others .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 09:45 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 4,145,176 times
Reputation: 8528
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This sort of douchey thing (including those with the opposing view) happens quite a bit, unfortunately. I was shopping the other day, and upon leaving a store I held the door open for a woman who was walking in with a number of bags. As she approached the door, she dropped a couple of bags, and I bent over to help her pick them up, and she thanked me profusely. As we stood up, I said "Happy Holidays." Her demeanor flipped like a damn switch, and she angrily lashed out saying "NO! It's Merry Christmas!! NOT Happy Holidays!!!" And practically screamed "CHRIST IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!" as she pushed past me.

Yeah, little Baby Jesus was so proud of her.

Sadly, it's not the first time I've been bitched out for saying Happy Holidays and wishing someone good tidings.
Uh, yeah Miss Rude Pants (that lady), except Jesus wasn't born in December. She could've said that without being a complete female dog to you, or you know, just say, 'Thanks, you too'.

Good for you for holding your composure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 09:45 PM
 
4,035 posts, read 3,872,432 times
Reputation: 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This sort of douchey thing (including those with the opposing view) happens quite a bit, unfortunately. I was shopping the other day, and upon leaving a store I held the door open for a woman who was walking in with a number of bags. As she approached the door, she dropped a couple of bags, and I bent over to help her pick them up, and she thanked me profusely. As we stood up, I said "Happy Holidays." Her demeanor flipped like a damn switch, and she angrily lashed out saying "NO! It's Merry Christmas!! NOT Happy Holidays!!!" And practically screamed "CHRIST IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!" as she pushed past me.

Yeah, little Baby Jesus was so proud of her.

Sadly, it's not the first time I've been bitched out for saying Happy Holidays and wishing someone good tidings.
Wow, crazy. People on both sides of the fence are really getting touchy about Christmas. I wonder if something's going on, like rants on Christian and Religious Right radio talk shows, or something? Talk radio is really making people crazy, and polarizing segments of the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 PM
 
3,245 posts, read 4,389,302 times
Reputation: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Christmas is a pagan holiday
Who knew that Puritans were still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 PM
 
405 posts, read 423,014 times
Reputation: 464
I'm an atheist, but even I am fine with people telling me Merry Christmas. I'm also fine with God being in the pledge of allegiance. Even though I don't believe, I'm still mature enough to understand that a lot of people do believe. Plus, if something already has God or Christ in it, I don't see the reason to change it, but also believe that the reverse should be true. If something is commonly said without God or Christ in it, I wouldn't want it changed to add those words either.

I think the HUGE problem with religions is that too many of the people that are part of each religion can't accept the fact that different people believe different things. It's perfectly fine to want to follow your own beliefs, but don't expect everybody else to follow your beliefs. If somebody says Merry Christmas to you, just accept it in the spirit of what they mean instead of thinking about it in a religious sense. If I see somebody on Christmas day, I will tell them Merry Christmas, especially if I know I'll see them again before New Year's. If I suspect I won't see them again before New Year's, I will wish them Happy Holidays to cover both holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 4,784,319 times
Reputation: 9765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
"Jesus is the Reason for the Season"
...
That's comedy Gold right there... There is no evidence to support him being born on December 25th anyways... Dude coulda been a leap year baby for all we know.
There is no "war on Christmas"! Just many PC idiots who would rather that you say "Happy Holidays."

That's like saying there is a war on "blacks" because some rather be referred to as "African-American."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 4,784,319 times
Reputation: 9765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Wow, crazy. People on both sides of the fence are really getting touchy about Christmas. I wonder if something's going on, like rants on Christian and Religious Right radio talk shows, or something? Talk radio is really making people crazy, and polarizing segments of the public.
DING DING DING!!!

And Christmas is CHRISTIAN NOT PAGAN.
Solstice is Pagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top