U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2014, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Monnem Germany/ from San Diego
2,269 posts, read 2,469,711 times
Reputation: 4700

Advertisements

I am an athiest and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone. It's a nice holiday, I don't need to belive the story. I go to the Christmas Market, drink hot spiced wine, get in the mood... Santa and the Easter Bunny are cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2014, 02:25 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,328 posts, read 11,058,211 times
Reputation: 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
We moved from a town that banned Christmas and Halloween from schools to be overly PC.
Oops ...
Attached Thumbnails
Plane Passenger Tossed after Flipping Out Over Staff’s ‘Merry Christmas’-oops01.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 05:34 AM
 
32,103 posts, read 33,010,060 times
Reputation: 14956
Silly passenger and silly airline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 05:56 AM
 
132 posts, read 107,246 times
Reputation: 210
I say Merry Christmas even though I'm not a church going person. One of many reasons that I say Merry Christmas is because I don't accept that I have to change to fit into someone else's box. To hell with the PC police! You're also free to say, Happy Holidays or any of the others. It's your choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 06:50 AM
 
Location: P.C.F
1,973 posts, read 1,645,166 times
Reputation: 1607
So your hoping to act as rudely as they did? If they were rude you can put money on the table they are NOT a Christain.. Anyway it appears YOU have chosen a pretty low bar to vault .. Besides.. Just saying your a Christian or a Jew or a member of any other Organized faith , just because you SAY it or just because you go to a particular building 2 or 3 times a year , while not having the slightest idea of whats going on or why , Doesnt MAKE YOU Anything.. I ,chose to respond to others greeting of any sort with a Merry Christmas and a Big Smile, be it the initial or the response..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We have to unite and come up with things to say back to these Christians that
correct or chide us about NOT saying Merry Christmas.
And those that yell at us if we DO!

I'm coming up blank even now....there must be something!

To start I guess, "I'm sure Jesus is proud of you right now for
yelling at me."
or
"I was thinking of coming to Jesus...but now I'm scared I'd turn out like YOU!"

She was so outta line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 AM
 
Location: P.C.F
1,973 posts, read 1,645,166 times
Reputation: 1607
Thank You for being such a kind and generous person.. If we had more people like you and fewer like others here it would indeed be a better world..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I am an athiest and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone. It's a nice holiday, I don't need to belive the story. I go to the Christmas Market, drink hot spiced wine, get in the mood... Santa and the Easter Bunny are cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,828,016 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a city forum member

Oh wait, it's because we should all be cognizant of others religious backgrounds and all right?

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/plane-p...144235462.html
Ridiculous. As an Athesit, and someone who works in healthcare, Christmas couldn't be more of "just another day" to me, but it disgusts me that someone would want to "be offended" for something so mundane. I'm glad they were tossed. Good riddance. I wouldn't want that nutback up in the air along side me in some aluminum tube at 36,000 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:06 AM
 
Location: P.C.F
1,973 posts, read 1,645,166 times
Reputation: 1607
So Much for just making stuff up and then posting it as truth hahahaha.... Christmas is a Christian Holiday that is celebrated at the same time of year as a pagan celebration and it was done for just that reason.. To provide Christ Followers with a time for celebration that wasnt part of the pagan rituals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Particularly amusing since Christmas is a pagan holiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:20 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,828,016 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
So Much for just making stuff up and then posting it as truth hahahaha.... Christmas is a Christian Holiday that is celebrated at the same time of year as a pagan celebration and it was done for just that reason.. To provide Christ Followers with a time for celebration that wasnt part of the pagan rituals.
They are amalgamated. The Evergreen tree is of pagan origin, the gifts can be argued to symbolize the Magi's gifts, and so on. All of Christianity is simply an amalgamation of pagan tradition and beliefs. Halo's are the big one, to me, because they have morphed over the centuries. The Sun became the Son. The disk of light behind the Saints symbolizing the Sun slowly became narrower, and shifted subtly to form the Disney style halo of today. It's all the same ball of wax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:22 AM
 
621 posts, read 828,001 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I am an athiest and say "Merry Christmas" to everyone.
Likewise. It's the spirit of the season and "Merry Christmas!" is a good holiday cheer whether you believe in Christ or not. Lighten up and spread the joy.

With that said though, I wonder if it could have been sorted out in an amicable manner. The outcome doesn't fit in with the idea of spreading joy and forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top