U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:28 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,833,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromSea View Post
I say Merry Christmas even though I'm not a church going person. One of many reasons that I say Merry Christmas is because I don't accept that I have to change to fit into someone else's box. To hell with the PC police! You're also free to say, Happy Holidays or any of the others. It's your choice!
I also say Merry Christmas. Although I was raised Catholic, I have not stepped foot in a church for many decades, and consider myself non-religious.

A few days before Christmas I was food shopping and said 'Merry Christmas!' to the cashier. She got a surprised look on her face, then smiled and then said the same to me!

I got the feeling that the store policy was for their personnel to refrain from saying ANYTHING related to the holiday, in order to not offend anyone .

December 25 is always going to be Christmas. Yes, there are other religions that have holidays around that time, but they are changeable date-wise; some will come earlier or later than December in any given year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,646,073 times
If what you wrote below is what you choose to believe its your choice.. If as a Follower of Christ what I believe is wrong, I will have lived a better life than if I hadnt made that choice... No error no foul.. if on the other-hand I am in fact correct in my belief? Your Screwed....... Believe as you wish ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
They are amalgamated. The Evergreen tree is of pagan origin, the gifts can be argued to symbolize the Magi's gifts, and so on. All of Christianity is simply an amalgamation of pagan tradition and beliefs. Halo's are the big one, to me, because they have morphed over the centuries. The Sun became the Son. The disk of light behind the Saints symbolizing the Sun slowly became narrower, and shifted subtly to form the Disney style halo of today. It's all the same ball of wax.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 AM

2,949 posts, read 2,829,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
If what you wrote below is what you choose to believe its your choice.. If as a Follower of Christ what I believe is wrong, I will have lived a better life than if I hadnt made that choice... No error no foul.. if on the other-hand I am in fact correct in my belief? Your Screwed....... Believe as you wish ..
Well, maybe if you pick up a history book you can correct some of that. You don't have to stop believing in your God to accept the historical accuracy of what I just told you.

The Last Supper, 1618, Frans The Younger Pourbus

became this...
*Artist/date unknown

Just as God's day of Worship became a Pagan day of worship, just as Egypt's traditions became Christian's traditions, just as...

You can see that for yourself in artwork any time you care to Google it.

Anyway, as to the Evergreen tree, that's from Egypt, and other early cultures, as well (Sun worship/Halo's/etc., see the tie-in?)

However, it was the Pagans in Germany that amalgamated the Christmas Tree into...the Christmas Tree. When they converted to Christianity, they took their traditions with them---slightly morphed. Look into it.

Here is a link:
Pagan Origins of the Christmas Tree

Then there is SUNday worship. Pagans worshiped on Sunday. Constantine, Emperor of Rome, is who assisted in that one. The Empire was being torn apart by multiple actors, and two of them were the Christians and Pagans. So...a meshing of traditions happened as commanded by Constantine (Yeah, that's right, you worship on Sunday, if you do, because the equivalent of Obama/Bush made it a national holiday and decreed it as such...). Now Christians typically (with some exceptions) worship on the Pagan holy day (Sunday) instead of the Biblical holy day which their God rested on and set aside, and observed from the Garden of Eden right up unto their Jesus Christ, and presumably will for the rest of eternity, per the Bible.

So, do some research. You want to tell others that they are wrong, well look in the mirror and learn something. Don't defend your decisions and attack mine with some "dead man's wager". You don't have what it takes to be saved anyway, if that's your mindset, according to your own book (The Bible, I presume). REad your literature "No man comes to the Father but through the Son", and "I will turn them away for I know them not" are two passages that really should prey upon your mind. You see, your book claims that you need a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with your Jesus/Christ. If you are issuing "Well if I'm wrong..." type challenges, then you obviously lack that. Pascal's Wager is a fool's errand to damnation, no-matter WHAT you believe. Further, you being right or wrong---would not affect anyone but yourself, and further, it's not ABOUT right or wrong in the sense of "if or if there is not a God". It is...DO YOU HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with that God? I sense that the answer is "No", and that you simply warm a pew, and lock-step along. Much like you had no clue about where your beliefs actually came from.

So please, some further reading:

-Yule
-Constantine
-Pagan Traditions
-Egyptian traditions
-Pascal's Wager
-Genesis (Bible book)
-Revelation (Bible book).

I used to be a rather religiously inclined person, and I know what I'm talking about, and what you will find if you actually READ and study these things, and not just mouth the words in a trance like so many (like I used to) Christians do. I was quite shocked to actually READ these things, once I actually READ them, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I don't say all of this to dissuade you from your path. A true Christian is a wonderful person. Hopefully I can strengthen your understanding of what you are claiming to believe, and further, can dispell some of your misunderstanding about the rest. So please, set aside your desire to argue with myself and others until you have at least scanned the topics I presented, and then asked yourself "Am I doing myself a disservice because I want to argue, ignoring facts that I shouldn't, or am I actually correct?" Then proceed as you see best.

Last edited by JWG223; 12-26-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 09:30 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,442,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Your Screwed....... Believe as you wish ..
Lol, it's always the supposed christians who are so christ-like.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:45 AM

45,018 posts, read 36,268,604 times
I don't care whether people say "Happy Holidays" ("holiday" means "holy day" anyway), or "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hannukah" or "Joyous Kwanzaa" or whatever - they can say whatever they want in the spirit of goodwill and blessings. What I DON'T like is people who insist that their preferred greeting is the only acceptable greeting.

I think all this brouhaha is ridiculous. Personally, I'm glad the guy got put off the plane - not because he insisted on Happy Holidays but because he was being a weird, rude, obnoxious person. I would have been just as pleased if he'd been yelling "IT'S MERRY CHRISTMAS, NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS" or "I'M JEWISH - KEEP YOUR CHRISTMAS TO YOURSELF!" or whatever.

Haters gonna hate.

As for Christmas traditions - the tree, lights, evergreen branches, fires in the fireplace, stockings hung on the mantel, etc etc - I don't care how such traditions started. Their origins mean nothing to me, because I know why MY FAMILY incorporates Christmas traditions. We do so to honor the birth of Jesus, and to celebrate the season of giving. It doesn't matter to me if some "pagans" three thousand years ago decorated a tree with tinsel to honor some other tradition. That's not why I do it - I decorate an evergreen Christmas tree with lights to symbolize the eternal nature of God's gift to us, and the fact that Jesus brought light into the world.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each and every one of you!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:58 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,172,033 times
People are too effing crazy nowadays...keep it under control and don't ruin our flight!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:58 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,508,111 times
Clicked on the article and was disappointed to discover that he wasn't "tossed off the airline" while it was in flight.

As a Jew, I love Christmas. I'd be very sad if a winter went by without Santa in the mall, Christmas carols, festive lights, and parties parties parties!

You wish me a Merry Christmas (or Happy Christmas as they more logically say across the pond), I'm gonna wish you one right back, and it will be equally as fervent and well meant.

I actually get irritated when I spend money in shops and restaurants this time of year and they DON'T shoot me at least a happy holiday if not the M.C. phrase.

And yes, a bunch of us did go out for Chinese yesterday, and had a merry old time!

Merry Christmas and a safe, happy New Year to everyone!

Old 12-26-2014, 10:09 AM

405 posts, read 420,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Wow, crazy. People on both sides of the fence are really getting touchy about Christmas. I wonder if something's going on, like rants on Christian and Religious Right radio talk shows, or something? Talk radio is really making people crazy, and polarizing segments of the public.
While I agree with this, it doesn't sound like that's what happened in the case of this passenger. From my understanding, the FA simply said "Merry Christmas" and the passenger got mad so the only one really in the wrong here was the passenger, not the FA.

More than likely, the FA has said merry Christmas her whole life. How is she supposed to know that the man was one of the small percentage of people that would be extremely upset by those words? I say small percentage because the vast majority of people would be willing to accept it if it was just said in passing by somebody that they didn't know. They'd be more upset if they heard it from somebody that they do know and is supposed to know how this person feels about that.

Even though this passenger flipped out on this FA, I'd be willing to bet that she still says merry Christmas to everybody she welcomes onto her flights around Christmas time unless the airline puts out an order to say happy holidays instead.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 20,906,379 times
Having worked in restaurants I say Happy Holidays. On Christmas Eve, I say Merry Christmas.

This person was a tool and deserved what they got. GET OVER IT

Old 12-26-2014, 11:51 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We have to unite and come up with things to say back to these Christians that
correct or chide us about NOT saying Merry Christmas.
And those that yell at us if we DO!

I'm coming up blank even now....there must be something!

To start I guess, "I'm sure Jesus is proud of you right now for
yelling at me."
or
"I was thinking of coming to Jesus...but now I'm scared I'd turn out like YOU!"

She was so outta line!
How about, "it was a greeting meant to convey well wishes to you". Sorry if you chose to take offense at what was meant as an expression of good will."

IMO it's the same thing if someone says they will keep you or yours in their prayers when you're going through a rough time- and even if I wasn't into prayer, I'd certainly appreciate that the person took enough time to remember me and mine, and again, the expression of good will.

IMO, it's just bizarre to react so negatively to an expression of good will, but truly, someone who does that has to live inside their own skin, and they can't get away from the nastiness that they show when they do so. You'll never see that person again, and can forget their very existence the minute they're out of sight. I'd feel sorry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or