U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:32 PM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,827,268 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If there's any day appropriate to say "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" it would be on Christmas Day itself. Perhaps the attendant should have taken the better route and just said "Happy Holidays" and it was a mistake on her part. But there's no reason for the passenger to act like a 5 year old just because the flight attendant made a little mistake.
Passenger has a terminal case of modern day thinking of "I'm offended so I'm important." It's no one's fault but their own and maybe their parents for raising an easily ruffled little *****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:35 PM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,827,268 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
How about, "it was a greeting meant to convey well wishes to you". Sorry if you chose to take offense at what was meant as an expression of good will."

IMO it's the same thing if someone says they will keep you or yours in their prayers when you're going through a rough time- and even if I wasn't into prayer, I'd certainly appreciate that the person took enough time to remember me and mine, and again, the expression of good will.

IMO, it's just bizarre to react so negatively to an expression of good will, but truly, someone who does that has to live inside their own skin, and they can't get away from the nastiness that they show when they do so. You'll never see that person again, and can forget their very existence the minute they're out of sight. I'd feel sorry for them.
Exactly. Firmly atheist in my beliefs and I am still flattered when people tell me they will pray for me, I still pray with others. I even say the prayer if asked. How in the world does being polite to a well meaning person who isn't hurting you so difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:40 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,461 posts, read 5,825,462 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Exactly. Firmly atheist in my beliefs and I am still flattered when people tell me they will pray for me, I still pray with others. I even say the prayer if asked. How in the world does being polite to a well meaning person who isn't hurting you so difficult?
It's not really. Comes under heading of 'common courtesy'... something that's not as abundant in our society as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:48 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,454,669 times
Reputation: 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I wouldn't consider wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas' a mistake, regardless of what day it was. The attendants only 'error' was not recognizing that she was talking to a self-centered fool.... which can happen to anyone.
It's not appropriate going around saying "Happy Hanukkah", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Diwali", etc. to random strangers in a multicultural setting, such as an airplane. In fact, it is representative of a poorly trained flight assistant.

However, that doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of the passenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,827,268 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It's not really. Comes under heading of 'common courtesy'... something that's not as abundant in our society as it used to be.
Violence is the golden standard. When it's no longer possible to deck someone for being an ass due to legalities far beyond the severity of the action, people begin to create insane lawsuits, pander to claims of "I'm offended" and other nonsense...but in the end violence returns as the golden standard by which all conduct is ruled, sooner or later. "I'm offended" is just the latest and greatest something for nothing detour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:50 PM
 
963 posts, read 575,295 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not appropriate going around saying "Happy Hanukkah", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Diwali", etc. to random strangers in a multicultural setting, such as an airplane. In fact, it is representative of a poorly trained flight assistant.

However, that doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of the passenger.
I was a flight attendant for three airlines before moving into the hotel business. Saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Hanukkah" etc. is a 101 mistake. A small, yet recognizable one.

Nonetheless, this passenger had something stuck up his @ss and deserved to be tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 PM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,946 posts, read 2,827,268 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not appropriate going around saying "Happy Hanukkah", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Diwali", etc. to random strangers in a multicultural setting, such as an airplane. In fact, it is representative of a poorly trained flight assistant.

However, that doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of the passenger.
No, it's representative of a bunch of ninnies who need to sack up and get their priorities straight, unless it can be argued that the flight attendant was trying to pick a fight knowingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,309,652 times
Reputation: 17659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not appropriate going around saying "Happy Hanukkah", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Diwali", etc. to random strangers in a multicultural setting, such as an airplane. In fact, it is representative of a poorly trained flight assistant.

However, that doesn't excuse the ridiculous behavior of the passenger.
Really? Why is it inappropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:11 PM
 
963 posts, read 575,295 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
No, it's representative of a bunch of ninnies who need to sack up and get their priorities straight, unless it can be argued that the flight attendant was trying to pick a fight knowingly.
Actually, NJBest is correct and you are wrong. Have you ever worked in the airline industry? This is a representation of a poorly trained flight attendant. It's also a representation of an unbalanced and potentially mentally ill passenger.

No one said the flight attendant was trying to pick a fight. They simply said a small mistake was made. Mistakes happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2014, 08:11 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,646,771 times
Reputation: 6514
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Really? Why is it inappropriate?
It's inappropriate to think that everyone follows a particular celebration or way of life. If I came up to you and starting singing Allah is great and mighty I doubt you'd think it was appropriate, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top