Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Is there such a thing as paranoid schizophrenia in dogs? Psychosis? This dog had bit him and his son before.

The reason I ask that is there is a dog I know of that is about year old and she acts like she's a hundred. She hates everyone that walks through the door and pees all over the place. ( On purpose) She growls.. and under growls relentlessly so, something is wrong in the neurotransmitters here, or she just doesn't have them. She's never had a previous owner and the owners are fed up. I would have to put her on anxiety meds or simply put her under. She's psychotic but it's not from her surroundings or owners. She has another dog with her ( all day) that is very loving. She has easy access to the yard whenever she wants.

Back to the topic..

It sounds like the owner couldn't give-up the dog and maybe the dog wanted out or was tired of it. ( pitied)

I don't know about a diagnosis for dogs but as a long time dog groomer and rescuer I can attest to the fact that there are dogs that are just not right.
I have people that come from many miles away for me to groom their dog. No one else will touch them. The dogs have bitten the owners and the owners know what triggers to watch out for.
But get this! The ones that come to mind are a shih-Tzu and two cocker spaniels! I know exactly when they are going to go nuts because their eyes change. They become glazed over and I swear the demon possession comes out.
I also see many pit bulls and most are very sweet and loving but I do keep them at arms length, as I do any large, powerful breed.
Why would one think that dogs are immune to psychological disorders and being born with a screw loose? People are born as sociopaths all the time! I don't think the breed has any influence on it. It just happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 10:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
In the police report, the wife stated that she had told her husband that the dog who mauled him needed to be put down because he was aggressive and unpredictable.

Also, this report says the dog weighed 85 pounds. Pit bulls do not weigh 85 pounds. Full grown, they weigh between 30 and 60 pounds.

Pitbull | A complete guide to pitbull dogs
American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From an excellent article:
Quote:
A very common misconception is that APBTs are muscle-bound hulks that weigh in around 85 pounds (39 kg) or more and this is generally not the majority. Most of the APBT's that are that large have been crossed with other breeds and are being called American Bullies. The general public often gets American Bullies mixed up with the American Pitbull Terriers. American Pitbull Terrier vs. American Bully
American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

About a year ago, a mastiff killed a woman in my parents' neighborhood - it was truly a shocking and tragic case. The thing is, people immediately started calling the dog a "pit bull" even though the dog was a MASTIFF and weighed about 100 pounds. The story morphed over time - first the dog was called a mastiff, then a pit bull, then a mastiff/pit bull mix.

My point is that when dogs attack, people tend to immediately label them pit bulls whether they are pit bulls or not.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because those who say that pit bulls are dangerous are HIGHLY ignorant. That's why.

I'm not a drug dealer, nor am I a criminal. I'm just not dumb enough to believe every stupid thing the media claims.
That being said, I still have to ask--why do SO MANY PEOPLE get pit bulls as if they're all which exist? What's wrong with lab mixes, Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, Beagles, Hound Dogs, Basenjis, Doberman Pinschers, or any number of about 3,000 other breeds? Some people act like pit bulls are the only dogs which exist, and I find that somewhat ignorant and close-minded frankly. There is NO WAY that pit bulls have a monopoly on suitability as dogs, there are so many other breeds yet for certain people it seems that their stance is "pit bull or die." (Sorry, bad choice of words.)

I think that's why a lot of people disparage pit bulls and their advocates, because it's not just that they question the perception of their suitability (which is fine itself), but they seem so overly gung-ho or even downright stubborn about them to a level that gets kind of silly at times in my view.

It's just like the people who think Apple invented everything including oxygen and water (forgetting that SanDisk also made great MP3 players, that there were touchscreen phones way before the iPhone and that Xerox had been working on a GUI type of computing environment before there was a MacIntosh, and in fact that design was the inspiration for the MacIntosh). It's similar to how people who upgrade to a larger vehicle seem to always get SUVs as if minivans aren't a viable option, or the people who swear that it's not a motorcycle if it's not a Harley-Davidson (as if Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki don't exist).

Old 12-26-2014, 11:06 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I don't know about a diagnosis for dogs but as a long time dog groomer and rescuer I can attest to the fact that there are dogs that are just not right.
I have people that come from many miles away for me to groom their dog. No one else will touch them. The dogs have bitten the owners and the owners know what triggers to watch out for.
But get this! The ones that come to mind are a shih-Tzu and two cocker spaniels! I know exactly when they are going to go nuts because their eyes change. They become glazed over and I swear the demon possession comes out.
I also see many pit bulls and most are very sweet and loving but I do keep them at arms length, as I do any large, powerful breed.
Why would one think that dogs are immune to psychological disorders and being born with a screw loose? People are born as sociopaths all the time! I don't think the breed has any influence on it. It just happens.
This dog is a Dachshund. She's not a miniature or full Baloney Hound and may be mixed. I love, love, love Dachshunds as long as they are not too sensitive.. but this dog is over the limits. Her eyes don't get glazed.. she may be mentally challenged. She doesn't bark like a baloney hound either. I don't claim to be a Baloney Hound expert.. but I know Dachshunds.. and this one isn't right.

I know Cockers and shih-Tsu are pretty programed to be mentally off ( Not all but some)

Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That being said, I still have to ask--why do SO MANY PEOPLE get pit bulls as if they're all which exist? What's wrong with lab mixes, Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels, Beagles, Hound Dogs, Basenjis, Doberman Pinschers, or any number of about 3,000 other breeds? Some people act like pit bulls are the only dogs which exist, and I find that somewhat ignorant and close-minded frankly. There is NO WAY that pit bulls have a monopoly on suitability as dogs, there are so many other breeds yet for certain people it seems that their stance is "pit bull or die." (Sorry, bad choice of words.)
I can only speak for myself, and actually I've never owned a full blooded pit bull.

But I have owned several pit bull mixes - and without exception, they were rescued dogs. In fact, EVERY SINGLE WORKER (including the two vets) at my vet's office has at least one pit bull or pit bull mix dog. The main reason is that so many are irresponsibly bred and often abandoned, and if they are taken to the pound they will nearly always be put down rather than allowed to be adopted.

My experience has been this:

I've had two male pit bull mixes. Neither of them showed the slightest bit of aggression toward people, but both could be aggressive toward other animals (though never a baby animal of any sort) - mostly male animals rather than female. We lived out in the country, and I pitied the male dog who came onto our property because they were about to get an arse whuppin'. One dog died of old age and we gave the other one away when we moved to a city, because he loved being a "country dog."

I loved both dogs very much, but I vowed after the second one (which was more aggressive than the first with other animals) that I would not have another male pit bull mix, and I've stuck by that. Not because I was afraid of them, but because I didn't want drama with other pet owners.

I have had two female pit bull mixed dogs. Both of them were practically lap babies! So gentle and affectionate! Never a problem with any other animals or with people - unless you count being licked nearly to death as a problem. Both were totally worthless as watch dogs, though they did LOOK scary to some people.

My husband and I are dog lovers and treat our dogs like they are our children. We've never had a dog who ever exhibited even the slightest aggression to humans, but even so, we would never leave ANY dog alone with a child. Children are as unpredictable as dogs, and I would hate for either of them to hurt the other.

The worst dog bite anyone has ever had in my family was by a Jack Russel Terror - I mean Terrier - who jumped off a porch as my grandmother was taking her daily walk, and who tore into her lower leg so forcibly that she required stitches.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
From the article:

Rodriquez [the deceased's wife] emphasized over and over again this afternoon they had never any problems with Fat Boy in the past, but in a police report she told the responding officer she had warned Cahill to euthanize the dog, because the dog was violent and unpredictable.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
From the article:

Rodriquez [the deceased's wife] emphasized over and over again this afternoon they had never any problems with Fat Boy in the past, but in a police report she told the responding officer she had warned Cahill to euthanize the dog, because the dog was violent and unpredictable.
Did you see the interview with her? She seems VERY WEIRD. She was laughing, smiling, etc when talking with the press. This is the day after she came home to find her husband bleeding and mauled to death in their living room!

Strangeness.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Those folks don't seem too upset, do they?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:38 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Should have made that MONSTER into sausage the FIRST time he went and bit someone.

Monsterbulls, not to be trusted.

Last edited by tickyul; 12-27-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 11:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Did you see the interview with her? She seems VERY WEIRD. She was laughing, smiling, etc when talking with the press. This is the day after she came home to find her husband bleeding and mauled to death in their living room!

Strangeness.
Good call.. something is up with this.

The couple has had their dogs since they were puppies, according to the report. The police report also noted that “Fat Boy” has always been aggressive and bit Cahill and his girlfriend’s son in the past

Indiana Man Mauled to Death by Pet Dog on Christmas | NBC Chicago

I think something was there that the dog found intolerable. The dog didn't like the girlfriend or her kid and then killed the man. Pitied still comes to mind. The gilfriend wanted the dog "out of the way" and the guy couldn't do it. Major aggression here with a toxic environment. The dog needed psyche meds in order for this not to happen. I would have kicked that girl to the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events