U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who's Fault Do You Think This Is?
Hollywood & the Writer 12 10.53%
Obama 12 10.53%
Korea for Crying About a Movie 40 35.09%
Both Hollywood & Obama 10 8.77%
I Could Care Less 48 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-27-2014, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Clown School
9,999 posts, read 4,233,036 times
Reputation: 11553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yeah, I see a double standard here. We can say anything we want about anyone, but no one can say anything about us. 'Murica.
Exactly. The US doesn't get to stomp around like an overgrown drooling unchallenged bully. If they dish it, they can take it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2014, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,225,637 times
Reputation: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When we make fun of their Monkey it's a world class entertainment event.

When they make fun of our Monkey it's low class political racism.
What do you mean we? The only connection I have to Sony is that I used to own a playstation, I've never even been to Japan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,876,712 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Despite claims to the contrary, mostly by a certain "entitled" demographic within the USA, Americans are some of the most tolerant people on the planet. I can't think of another, majority White or Asian nation on Earth where Obama would have been elected to office.

If the African American subculture in the USA wants some respect then they need to stop, take some responsibility for their actions, and realize the videos don't stop at the borders. Anyone from the USA watching news coverage outside the county of events in Ferguson, Chicago, NY, etc would be quite dismayed at how this is viewed by the common person in those places. These kinds of comments are not uncommon outside the USA.

Finally, Respect is Earned, not Given.

At one time Obama had enough of it to win a Nobel Prize. Today, by taking the low road, he's left with being compared to monkeys. Sad indeed.

And there it is again. It never ceases to amaze me. What do I personally need to take responsibility for?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 12:44 PM
 
27 posts, read 19,167 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That is because John Kerry earned it. He's a horse's ass and that is being nice. More interestingly, however, is that by stating this, you just contradicted ???your entire post.

It doesn't matter if, as you state, that North Koreans are just like White racists with their monkey references, though it's a bit of a stretch to think they have the same cultural references. What matters is they said it about the leader of the USA. This is clearly because Obama has no respect as a leader on the world stage.
That justifies nothing because that's your opinion. All of the Presidents have been name called by other leaders or someone in the exact same way, because of whatever opinion they may of had of them. Obama being called a monkey is no different.

There's no contradiction in my post. You're basically saying you're disgusted because the President has been name called with a derogatory term, by another leader in another country, which shows their lack of respect for him. And my post shows that all Presdients and leaders have been treated in the exact same way. Show me one leader or President that has not been name called and insulted verbally by other leaders showing their lack of respect for them. We can endlessly link quotes, if you choose, but right now I wouldn't have the time to engage in that. The only difference being that it was a racial slur because of the President's ethnicity being "used against him". These "other presidents" who you're comparing him to are caucasian. So there would be no reason to insult them with a racial slur. Or reference to them as monkeys which I'm not entirely sure hasn't been done. I'm sure George Bush has been called a monkey by other leaders and others. And there are numerous references made against him showing other leaders lack of respect for him. Understand?

In reference to the other half of your argument. The monkey term may or may not be racial, but universally, it's common knowledge or sense that when it is directed at a person of color, it is meant to be associated with "a monkey or ape from Africa". Or used as an insult to them by comparing the similarites, some people feel, that Africans have with monkeys or apes in appearance and behavior. This is common knowledge and should not be a surprise to anybody or thought of as a huge "stretch" from the way it's probably being used in this incident. Not only are they quoted saying "Obama goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey" but they also add (in the very same article), that "Obama has the "shape of a monkey." Nothing more needs to be said there. That cannot be twisted by anybody in any other way.


We also know, that the president has been ridiculed many times because of his ethnic background, being the first black president, so why would you think this time would be any different? If the term monkey is directed at someone not of color, which I usually do not hear being done although I'm sure it is, then I would think they are insulting their intelligence or childish behavior only, more so, than intelligence/ behavior and ethnicity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:00 PM
 
17,980 posts, read 9,869,523 times
Reputation: 17476
Koreans have been known to call the Chinese "monkeys" as well. "Big nose Chinese" is pretty commonly heard in Korea.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:07 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,876,712 times
Reputation: 8522
I have noticed something on this board and other places where I read comments about this article that are hilariously ironic.

Some of the same people that said others who have a problem with The Interview should 'go live in North Korea', have no problem with what their leader said about our POTUS. So they have an issue if people are upset about a movie that reflects poorly on another world leader, but have no problem when said world leader makes an inappropriate comment about their own President.

Interesting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:07 PM
 
26 posts, read 19,753 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Despite claims to the contrary, mostly by a certain "entitled" demographic within the USA, Americans are some of the most tolerant people on the planet. I can't think of another, majority White or Asian nation on Earth where Obama would have been elected to office.

If the African American subculture in the USA wants some respect then they need to stop, take some responsibility for their actions, and realize the videos don't stop at the borders. Anyone from the USA watching news coverage outside the county of events in Ferguson, Chicago, NY, etc would be quite dismayed at how this is viewed by the common person in those places. These kinds of comments are not uncommon outside the USA.

Finally, Respect is Earned, not Given.

At one time Obama had enough of it to win a Nobel Prize. Today, by taking the low road, he's left with being compared to monkeys. Sad indeed.

That's a little off topic since we're not talking about the world's view about Ferguson or anything to do with unarmed black men.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:17 PM
 
26 posts, read 19,753 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Koreans have been known to call the Chinese "monkeys" as well. "Big nose Chinese" is pretty commonly heard in Korea.
Probably still being racist since they added the "big nose" to it. Some chinese have more aryan features than others. Smaller features like noses and lips, wider eyes (which they characterize as more aryan looking). I'm sure they're using it mostly to the darker or more ethnic looking chinese. I don't know maybe not. But all rubbiswh aside we all know this is probably most likely racist. I would think to say it isn't would be a lot more of a stretch.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,970 posts, read 34,587,203 times
Reputation: 35977
Eric Holder should be sent to put a stop to this immediately.

Sounds like a hate crime to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,838,298 times
Reputation: 37337
This thread in general is a spectacular display of those so blinded and unhinged by their raging partisan fervor that they cozy up to vile despots, as long as those vile despots are taking potshots (the fact that the potshots are juvenile racism of the basest form doesn't seem to matter) at Americans with whom said posters have policy differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If the African American subculture in the USA wants some respect then they need to stop, take some responsibility for their actions, and realize the videos don't stop at the borders. Anyone from the USA watching news coverage outside the county of events in Ferguson, Chicago, NY, etc would be quite dismayed at how this is viewed by the common person in those places. These kinds of comments are not uncommon outside the USA.
So, you see blatant racism by a foreign power hostile to the United States, directed at the American President, and you naturally figure this is a perfect segue for you to launch into criticism at those - and only those - Americans of African descent. Duly noted.

Quote:
At one time Obama had enough of it to win a Nobel Prize. Today, by taking the low road, he's left with being compared to monkeys. Sad indeed.
So, it's President Obama's fault that he's the target of racist vitriol?

That says volumes about your perception of racism - to you, the targets of racism are to blame. But then, the paragraph I quoted above made that abundantly clear in the first place.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top