U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
365 posts, read 363,081 times
Reputation: 1113

Advertisements

She hits cop's car, gets patrol escort to ill son - CNN.com Video



I know some may criticize the safety/decision of an elderly person driving... but hopefully most of the focus will be on the positive aspect of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Reputation: 24548
I have known some unfortunate older folks that would loose track of where they were as well as where they were going. Some would loose track of where they were on the road.

The policeman did a nice thing but the old lady should find another way of getting around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,237 posts, read 15,024,326 times
Reputation: 20851
It's nice to see a good story. I credit my father who, at age 88, quit driving immediately when we all up and moved to a new and bigger town.

It was hard on him; it was hard on everyone but he was afraid that he would injure someone.

Luckily for all of us, he had the funds to pay someone to take him wherever his heart desired while we were at work and didn't have to stay bored at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 04:37 PM
 
3,028 posts, read 2,860,407 times
Reputation: 3362
Default Its nice but...

I hope she has her license taken away. Luckily no one was hurt.
I live near a huge retirement community (Leisure world) and a while back, an elderly woman ran a red and killed a motorcycle cop. There was a huge candlelight vigil for him. So sad! It was also tragic that an old woman, who's lived so many years had to live with that guilt in her last years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I hope she has her license taken away. Luckily no one was hurt.
I live near a huge retirement community (Leisure world) and a while back, an elderly woman ran a red and killed a motorcycle cop. There was a huge candlelight vigil for him. So sad! It was also tragic that an old woman, who's lived so many years had to live with that guilt in her last years.
you hope she loses her license? She is an older lady who just learned her son is in critical condition in the hospital, she goes to drive there alone at night, gets pulled over and accidentally backs into the patrol car instead of going forward. You know all that child dying, trying to get to the hospital and getting pulled over would be enough to rattle almost anyone. There is no evidence that the lady had any other accidents or was unable to drive safely under normal circumstances.

I'm glad those cops had more sympathy and compassion than you.
I guess that would reduce traffic tho if everyone who got into a fender bender had their license revoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Reputation: 31588
as can be expected, I didn't read the story, but THIS is what's wrong with America today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM
 
4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Reputation: 7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
you hope she loses her license? She is an older lady who just learned her son is in critical condition in the hospital, she goes to drive there alone at night, gets pulled over and accidentally backs into the patrol car instead of going forward. You know all that child dying, trying to get to the hospital and getting pulled over would be enough to rattle almost anyone. There is no evidence that the lady had any other accidents or was unable to drive safely under normal circumstances.

I'm glad those cops had more sympathy and compassion than you.
I guess that would reduce traffic tho if everyone who got into a fender bender had their license revoked.
Agree. We can also look at it as if she were 45 yrs old and got the news about her son, what parent
wouldn't be upset and frightened that her child is in critical condition. A loving parent would do what ever they could
to get there. And, those police officers/state troopers did a wonderful thing.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 12-30-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Staten Island
1,653 posts, read 1,692,737 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
She hits cop's car, gets patrol escort to ill son - CNN.com Video



I know some may criticize the safety/decision of an elderly person driving... but hopefully most of the focus will be on the positive aspect of the story.
What a waste of tax payer money, gas tolls, man power etc....The trooper should have put a bullet in this old bag thrown her body in the river and sold the car for scrap metal. At least than the county would have a made a few bucks off of it.

Think about it....expenses to commute and transfer this women is in the thousands, a single bullet a buck, maybe less.


So by now anyone reading this is out raged, or laughing. I mean none of it. It's a very heart warming story and It's nice to see a few cops getting positive press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM
 
1,469 posts, read 1,385,596 times
Reputation: 1983
Update to the story... her son passed on December 14. I'm glad she was able to spend his final days with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top