Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
That's not something I'd do unless others speak out first.
I get squirrelly about planes at times. I witnessed a small plane crash when I was about eight years old. It was a Cesna type plane. Incidentally, I also met a survivor of the famous plane crash where the stewardess inadvertently saved many lives when she misunderstood the captains orders and opened the door at low altitude over a corn field.

I've flown dozens of times. Still don't like it.

It's sure looking grim for the flight in the OP. That makes me sad. It sounds like the weather got them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:38 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah , I think the control thing is definitely a big part of it.

Also , car accidents tend to happen very fast. The idea of experiencing the pure terror knowing that your flight is going down, it just really scares me .

I do travel by air, but I don't enjoy it .
Why do you assume it would be sheer terror? I was in a bad car accident where I saw it coming (it being a deep, steep banked creek bed with tree's all over the place) and wasn't terrified at all, it was actually pretty peaceful.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
It would be awful because of the folk screaming around you.

Ugh.

This is the THIRD Malaysian plane to be lost in ....less than 12 months?

What the HELL is going on? How can they just Fall out of the sky, and No one know why or where????

In THIS century???

Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM

Folks w flying phobias need to watch THIS website

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

The sheer visual of flights going about the world, every day, is mind boggling, and Most Arrive Just Fine.

99.999999% arrive safely.

Its riskier crossing the road. FACT.

ps ive flown all my life. Love it. Longest - 9 hours Australia to HongKong. Loved every second. xxx

Old 12-29-2014, 12:08 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
The last time I flew, the turbulence was so bad I thought it was going to rip the wings off. I fly a dozen times a year, but this was the worst. I actually Googled "Can planes crash due to turbulence" when I got home, and was actually relieved to find out that no, no they can't. It's the little things that make me feel comfortable, I guess

Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
The last time I flew, the turbulence was so bad I thought it was going to rip the wings off. I fly a dozen times a year, but this was the worst. I actually Googled "Can planes crash due to turbulence" when I got home, and was actually relieved to find out that no, no they can't. It's the little things that make me feel comfortable, I guess
Yeah that would freak me out.

I've been on a few bumpy flights but nothing that lasted long.

I went on a tiny cessna, I nearly died, Where's the REAL plane?

Haha.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I used to fly twice a week between Vegas and San Diego for work. ( I know, poor me, right? )

Anyway, when you fly into McCarran on the same flight over and over again, you get sort of used to the feel of the approach angle. On one flight, the angle just felt wrong, like it was too sharp.

Sure enough, the landing was very hard and the plane tilted sharply to the right. So sharply that the wing almost hit the Tarmac.

The collective " Oh SH**" in the cabin was like we'd all rehearsed it.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I used to fly twice a week between Vegas and San Diego for work. ( I know, poor me, right? )

Anyway, when you fly into McCarran on the same flight over and over again, you get sort of used to the feel of the approach angle. On one flight, the angle just felt wrong, like it was too sharp.

Sure enough, the landing was very hard and the plane tilted sharply to the right. So sharply that the wing almost hit the Tarmac.

The collective " Oh SH**" in the cabin was like we'd all rehearsed it.
Like in the "good ol' days" when people used to applaud upon landing LOL. I WISH my flights were only back and forth to San Diego from Las Vegas. Normally they are to Washington DC, Chicago, etc. Places I don't want to be, and flights I don't want to be on.

I usually drive to SD when I go for work. Turn it into a mini-vaca with wifey

But sorry to take it OT. Back to missing airplanes...

Old 12-29-2014, 02:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
According to what was discussed this morning on CNN, although just speculation at this time, when the plane tried to increase altitude (although not authorized), they believe the plane speed was about 105 when it should have been around 215 (numbers may not be exact but close) and they think the plane stalled. It was not flying fast enough to maintain altitude. And then who knows what the pilot did to try to save the plane and the passengers...

I also thought I heard one of the weather experts say that by going up in altitude they were actually heading into a lot worse weather cell rather than getting above one.

I'm praying for these lost souls and their families and loved ones. Can't imagine the terror they all experienced.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
According to what was discussed this morning on CNN, although just speculation at this time, when the plane tried to increase altitude (although not authorized), they believe the plane speed was about 105 when it should have been around 215 (numbers may not be exact but close) and they think the plane stalled. It was not flying fast enough to maintain altitude. And then who knows what the pilot did to try to save the plane and the passengers...
Those speeds can't be accurate. Stall speed is much higher than that.

Flightradar24 receivers have tracked the flight by means of ADS-B until 06:12, when the aircraft was at FL320, 469 knots, 310° heading.
http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/28...nesia-missing/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events