U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Wow! A new disorder! Quick, make an expensive new drug for it!
Nah, it's not a new disorder - just a new manifestation of an old disorder. OCD and anxiety disorder have been around for a long, long time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM

852 posts, read 3,175,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In the US, you pretty much HAVE to exercise 'orthorexic' traits to a certain extent in order to avoid the nasty stuff in foods (or frankenfoods altogether) that are considered de facto here.
Agree!

Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM

25,402 posts, read 14,492,810 times
The problem is we claim everything is a disorder now. I think people look at eating whether it is super healthy or unhealthy as an obsession. And not in a good way. We should eat healthier but we keep seeing commercials with hefty servings of food during the holidays by supermarkets, delicious dinners at restaurants or fast food locations, having a tail gate party before sporting events or getting popcorn for movies. WE DON'T NEED THIS. We don't need to be vegan, vegetarian or gluten free to eat healthy, we just have to watch how much we eat and try to eat veggies and fruits. PERIOD.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:41 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Yeah, once it become all-consuming and you are very, very rigid with your diet....probably not a good thing. Especially if your "healthy" diet really is not that healthy..........but you have bought into a dogma about your diet and will not change, even if you are losing health.

I say eat very healthy 90% of the time and you will be fine.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
I cannot imagine that this is the issue that obesity is. Seriously, if you aren't looking at the labels on the food you are buying, it is past time to start. I noticed on some of those oriental noodle things that there is supposed to be 2 servings in one certainly looks like a serving for one. That means X2 of calories, salt, etc. I see people sit down with a bag of potato chips that is supposed to serve 6 and it is their single serve. Being critical about people who are interested in eating healthy and feeding their families that well shouldn't take a lot of anyone's time because the last time I was out, it seemed that more people were filling their carts with junk food than healthy ones.

We have 3 adults in our household, none take medications and no one is overweight. I have every intention of keeping it that way. Preventive medicine is diet and exercise not a battery of tests and injections. Ignorance is bliss but then there comes the point where it won't be!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:19 PM

675 posts, read 535,124 times
Wingardium Leviosa! First World Problems.
Why does every quirk have to be labeled as an issue?
Yes, some people obsess over what they eat. Others over their kids. Others over their money. So what? Are we supposed to feel superior and pity the fools?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Wingardium Leviosa! First World Problems.
Why does every quirk have to be labeled as an issue?
I think the people this article is referring to are taking things a bit past the point of quirkiness. They key is that they are exhibiting an UNHEALTHY degree of concern about what they are consuming. (Just like cleanliness is generally good, but spending hours in the shower each day and meticulously sterilizing everything in your kitchen after you prepoare a peanut butter sandwich is going too far. Or keeping a few keepsakes is good, but allowing your house to become so filled up with junk that it needs to be condemned as a safety hazard is going too far. You get the idea.)

Yes, eating a healthy diet is good. More fresh veggies for everyone! But acting as if you'll die if a single drop of HFCS touches your lips is another matter.

This condition didn't need a new name, though, as it seems to just be a variant of OCD or a generalized anxiety disorder. People can obsess over practically anything.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:44 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
How ironic that so many people in this country obsess about the foods they buy and eat when there are still so many people in the world who can't even get enough food to survive.

Eat what you want to eat but you might want to consider revising your ways if you spend more time thinking about food than you do preparing or consuming it. And whatever you do, if it's any level of fanatical, PLEASE keep it to yourself. If I want to hear about what you're doing, I'll ask.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:55 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,236,855 times
I feel sorry for people that suffer this type of eating disorder (related to OCD?) - they are so terrified of getting sick and dying to the point that their quality of life deteriorates. It's like a living death. I've never heard of this before, but it's very interesting.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
It is totally a disorder.

Eating a whole food diet does not require 3 hours of shopping.

However, what many people will do with this information is act like it means that eating healthy is a problem. And justify their disgusting habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or