U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-30-2014, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
This was my ex-husband to a T. Had to eat the same thing at the same time every day (alternating days), exercise the same amount of time (alternating activities), and no butter, no fat, etc. He would send things back in restaurants. I literally felt alienated after a while because I just couldn't sit and munch on unsalted kosher pretzels for breakfast. He kind of went into his own world when he ate, as well. Pizza was okay, but NO CHEESE. And only vegetables, of course. Even salad dressings had to be low- or no-fat. He would not eat meat but thankfully ate fish, which we ate in large quantities.

It was one of the reasons for the divorce.."

He never thought it was funny. Whew, those were tough times!
I'm saddened, though I do not know you, Tobiashen, per what you went thru with your ex. I would say he was OCD, which is what this disorder technically is classified under. Teen girls with OCD are far likelier to manifest anorexia than normal thinking teens.

It can make a normal person crazy dealing with OCD anything in a mate, not to mention they tend to be very controlling(itself a manifestation of that safe, artifically, world they create, an illusion nonetheless, but not to them)......

I simply would pity him, then and now, as those types of people are not happy by nature either, and live
in constant anxiety, if not food, anything else you can imagine. These are the same people that drive around the block again making sure they left the garage door closed.

Again, they need to create their own, artificially safe/sane world.....a safe room of the soul.....it would not be fun being them.

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Both boys AND GIRLS can have Progeria.

Progeria Research Foundation | Meet the Kids
I see that now(that girls can get that "aging like an old person as a child" thing called Progeria..

I cannot imagine anything more sad..remotely, except children dying of cancer....in a way, I think
it worse....seriously...

They still have the natural joy of a child, a child's soul...look at the pics of these two sweethearts..





God bless those poor little souls that get that..I'm sure God has a special place in heaven for them..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
My brother definitely thinks his lifestyle is the only way to go. He is insufferable about it and totally obsessive. On a recent visit (thankfully they aren't frequent!) he decided that there was no suitable acceptable restaurants to go to in all of San Diego and he spend upwards of an hour researching a suitable place for food. Then, at his acceptable restaurant, he modified his entire meal. Sigh... It's very sad and he looks horrible. He doesn't exercise regularly so his obsession seems to only be with food (and medicine which he doesn't trust).
Mdcrim, people like this often suffer from a diet deficiency of some sort....they swear off entire food groups and such.....for example, cholesterol is THE building block for all our hormones, including testosterone, estrogen, pituitary, adrenals, you name it.....OCD folks that swear off Cholesterol can literally destroy their organs, not unlike people in Auschwitz......that might account for his appearance...

Keep in mind the natural 1960's-1970's eating I mentioned that baby boomer/Gen X kids ate growing up.

It was not anal, yet it was just fine. It was balanced, without anally surfing websites for du jour info per what is 'bad" for us this week. Kids, dads, and moms were served veggies, meat, and I believe we drank more milk back then as well.....there were no______free freakouts on any label.....

Funny thing is, the children now are less healthy on average then we were.....what were the 60's/70's moms onto? I truly feel they fed us healthier food without the benefit of websurfing or daily news freakouts per what is du jour bad or good this week, like a horse race handicap..

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's funny but I'm just now reading a book on aging research which has the goal of using practical methods to lengthen life (we're not there yet, maybe a few decades and we'll be able to get some of it for public use). There are actually several causes of various components of aging, such as amyloid plaques and the accumulation of destructive glycoproteins. I was rootin' for telomeres unraveling over time leading to mutations just as you say, but the author felt that wasn't as important as other problems.

Interestingly after massive amounts of research, attempts to protect cells by the use of antioxidants especially found in foods (we all know about vitamin c and blueberries, among so many other antioxidant fads) has failed to pan out, in fact some of them being a bit harmful in excess.

I remember cheering for some guy who had made some sort of record for living longest in America ...... he said he'd simply eaten out of a can once a day for decades ...... other centenarians have told of their diets which all contradicted one another.

Diet is not the key to a long life.
Woof...your post is amazing, in that you sum up a few huge points..

First, the "superfood" meme/trope.......that is anal and a marketing ploy.....there is no magical food elixar
that makes us "megahealthy".....like a "holy grail" of foods.....held up proudly by Sir Lancilot...

Sir Lancilot: "I hold here, upright, thy Queen's superfood.....we have found it....our quest is finished"



Not...

I'm sorry, but food is food.....fruit is fruit...veggies are veggies....there is no holy grail of food..that's just good marketing.....your body can only absorb so many anti-oxidants at one sitting/day anyway..it does not store them for later use and give you kudos or brownie points if you eat mega amounts from a "superfood"......

That is just a part of the OCD hypervigilent eating brigade ........

Fruit is fruit....it is really that simple...sorry..



Second, the genetics and aging thing....

My Great Uncle Steve, from the Ukraine(yes, the place where they all live to 115 in those old yogurt commercials..lol) lived to be 97...he had zero conception of healthy eating.....he lived from about 1905 to 2002.....he worked on the railroad maintaining
cars.....he often ate 35-40 pierogis at one sitting(dumplings with filling, usually apple, custard, etc....they are sinfully delicious, trust me)...



He drank a few glasses of beer after work daily for decades...



Occasionally, he ate about 25-30 of these things at one sitting(they were a nickel a shot at the time). We called these "sliders" in Chicago...Carl Jr. sells them on the west coast...



Again, the man lived to be 95, and had a super vigorous handshake in his 90's. I used to dread shaking his hand as a kid...sweet man though....

Factoid....genetics trumps everything, always.....

Last edited by scottkuzminski; 12-30-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
...and he still died of cancer. Go figure. He might as well have eaten more tasty foods and enjoyed the ritual of eating things that taste good before he died.
Mentellect was speaking of someone mentioning Steve Jobs' OCD healthy eating habits..not only did healthy eating NOT keep the big C away, but being one of the richest humans to ever walk the face of the earth did not keep it away as well..

As we mentioned earlier, genetics trumps everything, always and everywhere..



Meanwhile the jovial WOZ dances on network TV, eats what he pleases(notice he is a bit large), and is still with us(though he definitely needs to bone up on his dancing skills..lol)..

Perhaps being a nice guy helps with longevity and health as well(note the opposite)..

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't care if they spend 3 hours or more at the supermarket, make all their own food and don't eat out, spend all their money on free-range organic gluten-free sustainable non-trans fat whatever, wash their fruit a bazillion times, etc., as long as they aren't smug about it, preach it or convince some pansy-a**ed congressman to legislate it.
I love your colorful description!..LOL!

And no mention of Michelle Obama, the veggie queen for kids? Shame!

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Reputation: 17978
Some others obsess over music; others movies and other sports. Doesn't mean its a illness. Its a human trait: IMO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I'm very careful with what I eat as I get migraines & am allergic to so many things, it's easier for me to list what I can intake... that includes food, drugs, fabrics, etc. Still, I wouldn't consider myself obsessed & certainly don't think I have a mental disorder because I wish to take care of my health & well being. I wish I were one of those who could eat a hotdog & corn chips & wash it down with a root beer & feel nourished & great, but I'm not.

I look at labels & bypass most of what's on the market's shelves (whole isles, in fact), particularly anything processed, frozen or canned (the latter 2 mainly as those processes grossly degrade the nutritional content of the food). When going out to eat, which I dislike because it's hard for me to find something I can eat sans side effects, I'll choose whatever & keep my complaints about itches, rashes, headaches to myself & swallow some aspirin or antihistamine, if necessary. I eat out so rarely, it's not really an issue & when I do, I'll oftentimes just opt for fresh veggies or a few appetizers, because I feel there are fewer ingredients, with which to contend. Most people, therefore, think I have a slight appetite... I don't, but I prefer to eat my own food.

I find that the most annoying thing for others is to constantly hear the 'I can't eat xxx because I get xxx' on a regular basis. Most who know me don't even know I have allergies to food, because I know they don't want to hear about it, I don't care to repeat my story over & over & I don't wish to hear the aforementioned people tout for the 100th time their xxx intolerance. I know... I heard ya the 1st time.

Also, I'm over 40 & my metabolism has slowed down a bit, so I can't eat 4 pieces of peanut butter toast for a snack, giant bags of daily chips, cheeseburgers & fries at midnight & maintain the same weight. If I could, I certainly still would.

So, if all the above is considered a mental disorder, so be it. The author of that book, no doubt, never had a 33-day, knock down, drag out, full blown migraine (with no meds to take, because... right, I'm allergic to all drugs I've ever had) triggered by some ingredient in some processed something or other & still had to get up on most days & go to work. My bosses have never cared if I have a headache... they still want my body within eyesight, in a chair.

I think what people object to, as mentioned before, are those who are on a particular path (clean food, no smoking, no alcohol, sober living, vegetarianism, lots of exercise, weight loss, a particular religion or political view, etc) & never fail to bring it up in any conversation. That's obsessive, no matter the subject & somewhat controlling to bring it up over & over. Mental disorder is a strong term for most of those types (it seems to be tossed around quite liberally over the past few years)... perhaps they're just bored & need another hobby or 2 so they can focus on something besides themselves. It's boring to focus on just 1 thing.

Just my 2-pence...
I believe the only way you can vouchsafe the quality of your food is to grow/raise it yourself...

Think of it..up to 1900, the majority of americans grew up on farms, and were organic way before it was cool....we are talking 100% organic...yet they had an average lifespan of 47 years old at the time..

Were there no old people in 1900? | Scattered thoughts from a scattered mind

WHY?......because there was no refrigeration for the food, no preservatives sans salt and canning, and no controls for bacteria on/in meat, amongst other things.....

So, big science actually made food safe.....to a point....fact is, without some help from ag companies we all would be fighting the worms, rabbits, squirrels, and bugs for our food....and eating many of the same.



What made the lifespan kick in to almost 80's now is simply cleaner sanitation and medical care...organic foods do not enter into the equation at all......technology and genetics trump all...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My DH's cousin is like this, even with her DOG's food. In fact that's where it all started. She used to be very normal and enjoyed her husband's cooking. She was obsessive about everything to do with her dogs. She started feeding them only raw foods, from a service that delivered raw, prepared, and individually packaged, frozen dog meals. After her husband's death a few month's later, she started eating raw. vegan foods only. She originally weighed about 130 pounds, 5'7"ish, a good weight for a 60 year old. Now, after 2 years of eating only raw, vegan foods she looks like a skeleton and her face is so drawn and wrinkled, she looks like cr*p. I understand that she wants to be healthy, but getting so little protein is not healthy. She can't even eat beans and rice, because they have to be cooked to be edible. We've always thought she was a little nutty, but now that's almost all she eats (nuts). LOL.
I recall another person that ate themselves literally into death, and thought they looked great in the mirror..



That is so sad .....indeed, many OCD healthy eaters have de facto "nervosa", hence the newly added
phenomenon in the annals of psychiatry this year.....they actually think they look good, even with
sunken faces and pallid skin....I do not have words for how sad this is..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
607 posts, read 588,530 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'm not too learned on fats. Is it better to use regular butter when cooking or oil? Just about the only oil I use is extra virgin olive oil. I love cooking with both and use butter a Lott.
If you like butter use it.....it is natural..comes from an actual living cow...how bad can it be, in reasonable moderation?......

People have used it for milleniums......please......your body knows what to do with it, and has more intelligence than we give it credit for....it is cholesterol, which forms the basis of all the hormones in our body..without it, we would have no sex drive, menstruate, or have energy from the thyroid.....we would be sexless zombies..

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top