U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

607 posts, read 588,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'll just jump in to add this bit. I obsess over strict eating, from standpoint of worry over each parent having passed from either heart disease for dad & cancer for mom. So, since docs say you need watch most out for the genetic link, & the causes your mom & dad died from, then I am trying to defend these possible ills. This causes a bit of stress as it isn't enjoyable to always on guard for nutrition, or making sure you exercise daily, etc.

It makes a bit tough to always have to cater to health worries & leads to hypochondria, after the OCD takes over w/ your eating. This is a stress response similar to PTSD & in this case the stress is the reality that you have the genes of them, & this makes you hypervigilant over health in general & eating, in specific. Hope this helps anyone else who thinks they're alone feeling this way.

It is treated best w/ meds or counseling but it is a long task to heal, & really makes you beardown & focus on dealing w/ these issues, & trying to live a normal life free of worry.
I can think of worse....though I truly feel for you, but...

Imagine this reality...

Arlo Guthrie's father, Woody, died a slow death from Huntington's Disease, which gives you Michael J Fox jerky movements AND mental degeneration, which even Fox does not have(at least he can think clearly)...

There was a fairly good chance Woody passed it on, but Arlo did not know for sure, and lived in fear of that as he hit his 30's, when it onsets.....knock on wood(no pun intended), Arlo has not had any symptoms to this day(he is now 67), so looks like he surely did not inherit the same...

He did go thru hell worrying about it as a young man, as it is a very slow onset and horrid thing, lasting about 20 years....

I get your worries......

I am not sure if there is a PERFECT way to eat, but I imagine if you enjoy your eating(we mentioned often in this thread it is one of life's great joys, especially shared eating), and are reasonable, even have fun sometimes(pizza, burgers, chips, ice cream, candy), you should be quite fine..

Just enjoy life..we only go around this way once, after all, my friend..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Worrying is a negative emotion that can impact your immune system. Rather self-defeating isn't it, unduly worrying about one's eating habits?

I don't trust a good many research projects. Research scientists can be as corrupt as politicians.

You work for Nestle as a research scientist. You're being paid big bucks to defend the corporation, and prove to the world how healthy, safe your products are. Do you really think they're going to risk getting fired and telling the absolute truth about their products?

I read a book on the History of Coffee. There's a huge research facility in Paris, and those research scientists are there to defend the entire caffeine industry, soda pop, tea as well. Some independent research scientist comes out with negative publicity about caffeine, and they'll be right there to stomp on him!

Some research scientist questioned the safety of coffee coming from Vietnam (35% of the world's coffee come from there) given all the chemical weapons/Agent Orange we used there during the Vietnam War, it still being present in the water, and that report went away very quickly! Crushed!
Tlover...

Listen to this...

There are a few companies that supply local news stations with free stories, many of which are the "We
now think Coffee is good for you" type.....what they do is glean off these paid by corporations studies that are homers for whatever the corps make. On the other hand, "_____ is now bad for you" makes news as well, and there are always studies showing something/anything is bad for you(today anyway)....those studies are packaged and sold to news networks as well....

On any given sunday(thats a phrase from the NFL), you can see diff foods are considered good and bad each new week.....I think it would be interesting to make a scorecard of the same, and see which foods are mentioned as good/bad, and how often foods are in both categories each year....

I def recall coffee being good and bad for you back and forth for years...

Now they say it is good for you...I have heard before it causes cancer, diabetes, you name it....next year it will prob be bad again...

it's truly almost laughable.....just cheap free news stories they use to pad the local newscasts medical
report segments.....now that local news goes on for 3 hours or so, from 4PM to almost 7PM, when the inane Wheel of Fortune/Entertainment Tonight kicks on.....

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,762,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
I can think of worse....though I truly feel for you, but...

Imagine this reality...

Arlo Guthrie's father, Woody, died a slow death from Huntington's Disease, which gives you Michael J Fox jerky movements AND mental degeneration, which even Fox does not have(at least he can think clearly)...

There was a fairly good chance Woody passed it on, but Arlo did not know for sure, and lived in fear of that as he hit his 30's, when it onsets.....knock on wood(no pun intended), Arlo has not had any symptoms to this day(he is now 67), so looks like he surely did not inherit the same...

He did go thru hell worrying about it as a young man, as it is a very slow onset and horrid thing, lasting about 20 years....

I get your worries......

I am not sure if there is a PERFECT way to eat, but I imagine if you enjoy your eating(we mentioned often in this thread it is one of life's great joys, especially shared eating), and are reasonable, even have fun sometimes(pizza, burgers, chips, ice cream, candy), you should be quite fine..

Just enjoy life..we only go around this way once, after all, my friend..
Scott, yes true but to be the very best WE can be, we need to work harder/smarter than others. I feel that if I give my best & lose at health, like I did if we lost when I played hockey, then so be it. But nothing feels more helpless than to have beaten yourself by not being disciplined enough. You need, like anything else in life that is hard, find a way to deal w/ adversity of feeling like you can't do anything you want (such as eat bad) since we've no idea where the breakpoint is (w/ indulgent type food as you mentioned, & yikes -- I'd not eat anything on that list unless I was starving in African desert, haha) for you, the individual.

It is hard, & often a pain in the butt, yet needs be done (at least in my case, maybe it is the OCD, haha) or else I worry even MORE. Haha, I'm trapped in my own mind over this, thus the need to do the right thing -- as often as I can.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM

898 posts, read 656,713 times
Scott, I hate to come along and throw more cold water on your neat photo journalism essay, but we just can't aford to take a laissez-faire attitude toward the role of food and health.

There are so many diseases related to obesity now. Type II diabetes used to be in older overweight adults, now its in kids. Why? Childhood obesity, poor eating habits learned early. People think, "Well, if it happens to me, I can take a pill, or insulin shots." Many people don't control their diabetes, it's a hassle to manage chronic disease. The late effects are devastating. Diabestes can cause blindness, neuropathy, foot problems that can lead to gangrene and amputation. Unmanaged hypertension leads to heart disease and kidney disease. Hauling around too much weight puts stress on the joints. I don't want a bunch of replacement hip and knee joints, I'd rather keep the ones I have healthy.

I see young people, 20 years old and they're probably close to 300 pounds. What kind of life do they have to look forward too? Can't even walk up a flight of stairs without wheezing, because of hauling so much weight around. It's incredibly sad.

And this isn't even the rare person anymore. Go to any large gathering like a festival and see how many obese people you see. We have almost excepted it as the norm that Americans are fat so might as well eat, drink, and be merry! Party on!

It's totally possible to enjoy eating healthy without feeling deprived. One thing that happened to me when I reduced my sugar intake was I noticed how sweet a pea pod was. We don't need to eat like rabbits, or have a tofu potluck. I eat "low to the ground." If my food made it to a box, it's not food anymore. You hear the phrase, "Shop the perimeter of the grocery store." I shop the corner, the produce corner. I get my meat from a butcher, and if I need dairy, I go to a farm for it. I'm an omnivore.
If I do get something moderatley processed, like jams, I read the lable for high fructose corn syrup or other junk the food companies put in.

We don't need to be paranoid about food, we do need to do things a lot smarter. We can outsmart the food companies by not consuming their trash. And government food studies? Bah, I don't pay any attention to them. The government will swear GMOs are perfectly safe for us when it's just not proven to be true. You know who I trust? My local organic farmer.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Scott, yes true but to be the very best WE can be, we need to work harder/smarter than others. I feel that if I give my best & lose at health, like I did if we lost when I played hockey, then so be it. But nothing feels more helpless than to have beaten yourself by not being disciplined enough. You need, like anything else in life that is hard, find a way to deal w/ adversity of feeling like you can't do anything you want (such as eat bad) since we've no idea where the breakpoint is (w/ indulgent type food as you mentioned, & yikes -- I'd not eat anything on that list unless I was starving in African desert, haha) for you, the individual.

It is hard, & often a pain in the butt, yet needs be done (at least in my case, maybe it is the OCD, haha) or else I worry even MORE. Haha, I'm trapped in my own mind over this, thus the need to do the right thing -- as often as I can.
I am going to get philosophical for a short spell..bear with me..

Ever wonder if there was a perfect path for your life?

I mean, a path that, if you never strayed from the same, would have given you no problems and zero hurt?
I don't think there is such a way.....

That is what makes life challenging, exciting, new, and alive......There simply is no perfect way to get thru this mortal coil, from beginning to end. Of course, you don't want to do something crazy/stupid, like abuse yourself on drugs/bad living, or take yourself out, etc., BUT, per the good side of living, there truly IS no ideal path, that is there if we just find it, including healthy living in all aspects...

Life is meant to be hard and challenging, and no one gets out of this alive or without aging......

That being said, I think the main thing is to THINK healthy, and enjoy life, much as we can..

If we are not enjoying and relishing life, to put it another way, what is the point of it, regardless of how we live it?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Scott, I hate to come along and throw more cold water on your neat photo journalism essay, but we just can't aford to take a laissez-faire attitude toward the role of food and health.

There are so many diseases related to obesity now. Type II diabetes used to be in older overweight adults, now its in kids. Why? Childhood obesity, poor eating habits learned early. People think, "Well, if it happens to me, I can take a pill, or insulin shots." Many people don't control their diabetes, it's a hassle to manage chronic disease. The late effects are devastating. Diabestes can cause blindness, neuropathy, foot problems that can lead to gangrene and amputation. Unmanaged hypertension leads to heart disease and kidney disease. Hauling around too much weight puts stress on the joints. I don't want a bunch of replacement hip and knee joints, I'd rather keep the ones I have healthy.

I see young people, 20 years old and they're probably close to 300 pounds. What kind of life do they have to look forward too? Can't even walk up a flight of stairs without wheezing, because of hauling so much weight around. It's incredibly sad.

And this isn't even the rare person anymore. Go to any large gathering like a festival and see how many obese people you see. We have almost excepted it as the norm that Americans are fat so might as well eat, drink, and be merry! Party on!

It's totally possible to enjoy eating healthy without feeling deprived. One thing that happened to me when I reduced my sugar intake was I noticed how sweet a pea pod was. We don't need to eat like rabbits, or have a tofu potluck. I eat "low to the ground." If my food made it to a box, it's not food anymore. You hear the phrase, "Shop the perimeter of the grocery store." I shop the corner, the produce corner. I get my meat from a butcher, and if I need dairy, I go to a farm for it. I'm an omnivore.
If I do get something moderatley processed, like jams, I read the lable for high fructose corn syrup or other junk the food companies put in.

We don't need to be paranoid about food, we do need to do things a lot smarter. We can outsmart the food companies by not consuming their trash. And government food studies? Bah, I don't pay any attention to them. The government will swear GMOs are perfectly safe for us when it's just not proven to be true. You know who I trust? My local organic farmer.

I enjoyed this post you just wrote..

Obviously you have a huge heart for people....my heart goes out to people as well, when I see so many, especially the not so old folks say 50 plus, already using those carts to get around in stores....

I think of this as a golden mean thing.....not too cold, not too hot..

We cannot go thru life obsessing about everything we encounter as well.....not to mention that would
not be a very happy life, would it?

None of us will get out of this alive. That does not mean we can eat until we ooze obesity out of every pore, but we certainly can find some reasonable median between obsessing and not caring at all...

None of us grow our own food(few anyway), and, unfortunately, we all have to be beholden, essentially completely, to trust what comes in those packages(or off those monsanto seed farms)....sad, but what can you do? Most of it, within reason, is surely okay, and not worth worrying about, especially per the _____free PR gimmicks commonly marketed by many organic companies themselves, many owned by the big corporations themselves(even the beloved Ben and Jerry's got bought out by Unilever)....

The main issue by far is spending way too much time in front of screens(you are looking at one now)....and that all day....TV, Smart Phones, home and work PC's, video games, multiplex theaters, you name it...what do we do when we watch those screens for 6-7 hours a day? Mostly sit on our @sses, and stand around like zombies checking out our cell phone notifications...

THAT is the problem.......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or