Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:51 PM

607 posts, read 761,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
How ironic that so many people in this country obsess about the foods they buy and eat when there are still so many people in the world who can't even get enough food to survive.

Eat what you want to eat but you might want to consider revising your ways if you spend more time thinking about food than you do preparing or consuming it. And whatever you do, if it's any level of fanatical, PLEASE keep it to yourself. If I want to hear about what you're doing, I'll ask.
That is totally the key to it...if you are obsessing more about your eating than you are enjoying the same....

The Bible says "Eat, drink, and be merry"....not obsess........I think eating, especially communally(with other actual humans) is one of the greatest joys). The key is not to lose this.

I think, related to this, are people that check their phone 20X or more a day for updates, and such, rather than just enjoying their surroundings and living aware of the same....like they are in two places at the same time.....or some matrix.....

I think there is a mindfulness about eating as well, being in the present, and just enjoying the food sensually, the flavours, spices, saltiness, juiciness, ala etc......obsessing about food and enjoying the same are mutuallly exclusive...

This is what I miss about the old 60's 70's days.......Food was just more fun and pleasurable back then, not to mention families actually often ate together, not in different rooms/nooks like squirrels....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is totally a disorder.

Eating a whole food diet does not require 3 hours of shopping.

However, what many people will do with this information is act like it means that eating healthy is a problem. And justify their disgusting habits.
Stan, I lived in Texas like you for a spell..I still recall these huge huge packages of chips....like Hefty bags,
they were as large as the dry dog food sacks.....and extra large sodas I never saw anywhere else..was like
land of the giants..or "land of the supersize-people".....

This was at H-E-B...

I think they were from Mexico or something...had spanish on it..

The point is, you can't go to either extreme......just as bad to eat pig-out swill with no remorse as it is to anally pick over each ingredient of each package for hours, repeatedly placing items in and out of the cart...like this..

Just shop and eat normally is all..

Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My grandmother, who lived until 102, would get a good laugh out of this opening thread. During her early years, on the farm, the choices were very limited. Untold amounts of dairy products, eggs, cheeses, meat, and, in winter in MN, no fresh vegetables, no fruit! And my Mom and Dad were subjected to this kind of diet as well, Dad made it to 96 (smoked 3-4 packs of cigarettes for 50 years since age 16) and my mother made it to 86.

Genetics, now that's something you can't buy in a store! With our family, German heritage!

But that's our world today: millions looking at a leaf, and they can't see the tree, let alone the forest!
I think Germans have a long-lived genetics, look at the Amish for proof(they are mostly all Germanic)...
Now, the Amish have zero conception of superfoods, transfat, et al......They lay out humungous spreads for the menfolk to kill for as well...

This is what the ladies cook up..

And, of course, desert to kill for..look..

Not unheard of for some Amish men to eat an entire pie solo..and they mostly live to about 95..

Go figure.....

Last edited by scottkuzminski; 12-31-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You know, you really have something here...and I get so many arguments from folks who have bought in to this whole "veggies are healthful...eat 5 different colors a day!" stuff. The fact is that protein foods, as you described above, usually lead to a lean, muscular figure, and strong organs. Nowhere is there any proof that eating a load of veggies, fruits, or grains (esp not grains) leads to "health".

Show me an obese person, and I'll show you a grain-eater, not a meat-eater.
Nor'easta...

BTW, the farm folk back then would have considered the "kale" greens and grains food for the hogs and swine back when....and would have thought you mistakenly gave them the stuff for the barn..

Amish were into comfort food..the wonderful, good stuff, long before it was cool.....they are beyond cool....and people who work on farms need energy, and many work on farms till their 80's doing physical stoop labor, so you best know they realize what is best for you....

Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
We're missing the seceret weapon to farm life...exercise!

On the farm you have to gather the eggs, milk the cow, clean the stalls and chicken coop, feed the stock, pitch fresh hay, chop firewood, plant, weed, water, and harvest the garden. A million other things I'm not thinking about right now.

I bet farmers in those days were ripped, with single digit body fat.
I agree...

They d@mn sure did not need health club memberships(the ultimate redundancy)....

Keep in mind, you do not need ripped, sculpted 6-pack abs to be the pinnacle of healthy.....even have a little belly fat.....look at the older amish farm ladies doing hard stoop/field labor in their 80s.....they are stout, yet healthy as hell..same as the men.....

The 6-pack thing is mass marketing for the muscle mags and advertisements......really, who even has those?......

Is there such a thing as "farm abs"?...if so, I want some....

This last pic is an outdoor weight contest for farmers...they run around with the weights.....and you can bet they don't need health clubs, like we city folk....they seem to have an animal energy from natural living as well....good for them..I call that rural living vibe

Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times
I mean "Nature's ripped." Plow a field, chop a couple cords of firewood, harvest hay, ect, that'll get a farmer some good muscles, not like some of the juiced-up freak-a-zoids that hang around the gym circuit.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I have a Southern Traditional Cookbook, and if you look at some of those recipes in that book, you really wonder how anyone could have lived past 50, down South, eating all that rich food, with so many recipes calling for excessive cheese, whipping cream, half & half, sour cream, buttermilk, lots of deep fat frying!.

One of my favorite sinful desserts from that book, Sweet Cream: 1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of unwhipped whipping cream, 2 cups of sour cream, 1 tsp. of vanilla and one envelope of unflavored gelatin!

Small wonder that Mississippi has the most obese people in the country!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
I'll just jump in to add this bit. I obsess over strict eating, from standpoint of worry over each parent having passed from either heart disease for dad & cancer for mom. So, since docs say you need watch most out for the genetic link, & the causes your mom & dad died from, then I am trying to defend these possible ills. This causes a bit of stress as it isn't enjoyable to always on guard for nutrition, or making sure you exercise daily, etc.

It makes a bit tough to always have to cater to health worries & leads to hypochondria, after the OCD takes over w/ your eating. This is a stress response similar to PTSD & in this case the stress is the reality that you have the genes of them, & this makes you hypervigilant over health in general & eating, in specific. Hope this helps anyone else who thinks they're alone feeling this way.

It is treated best w/ meds or counseling but it is a long task to heal, & really makes you beardown & focus on dealing w/ these issues, & trying to live a normal life free of worry.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Worrying is a negative emotion that can impact your immune system. Rather self-defeating isn't it, unduly worrying about one's eating habits?

I don't trust a good many research projects. Research scientists can be as corrupt as politicians.

You work for Nestle as a research scientist. You're being paid big bucks to defend the corporation, and prove to the world how healthy, safe your products are. Do you really think they're going to risk getting fired and telling the absolute truth about their products?

I read a book on the History of Coffee. There's a huge research facility in Paris, and those research scientists are there to defend the entire caffeine industry, soda pop, tea as well. Some independent research scientist comes out with negative publicity about caffeine, and they'll be right there to stomp on him!

Some research scientist questioned the safety of coffee coming from Vietnam (35% of the world's coffee come from there) given all the chemical weapons/Agent Orange we used there during the Vietnam War, it still being present in the water, and that report went away very quickly! Crushed!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have a Southern Traditional Cookbook, and if you look at some of those recipes in that book, you really wonder how anyone could have lived past 50, down South, eating all that rich food, with so many recipes calling for excessive cheese, whipping cream, half & half, sour cream, buttermilk, lots of deep fat frying!.

One of my favorite sinful desserts from that book, Sweet Cream: 1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of unwhipped whipping cream, 2 cups of sour cream, 1 tsp. of vanilla and one envelope of unflavored gelatin!

Small wonder that Mississippi has the most obese people in the country!
Don't they live a long time out there though? There are a ton of old fat folks out in the deep south.
Either that, or they are prematurely aging....

Perhaps fried chicken is the ponce de leon elixar we have been looking for for centuries....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events