U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 02:56 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,353,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
"OFTEN?" Or maybe they are the outliers we hear about in the news.
They are 99% of the people who hang out on internet forums and argue in favor of gun rights. It's extremely rare to run into a pro-gun advocate that you can have any semblance of a reasonable conversation with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:15 PM

72,932 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What kind of gun was this? What gun is light enough for a 2 yr old to hold let alone fire?
This is the second 2-year-old-shooting-mom-with-mom's-gun incident in about a month's time. Either guns are lighter weight than we thought, or there are some hefty 2-year-olds around. And some unbelievably careless moms, two of whom are now dead.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM

29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is the second 2-year-old-shooting-mom-with-mom's-gun incident in about a month's time. Either guns are lighter weight than we thought, or there are some hefty 2-year-olds around. And some unbelievably careless moms, two of whom are now dead.
Could be the kid was 35 months which is 30% older than 24 months and more physical. (But still a 2yo)

Old 01-01-2015, 03:35 PM

33,139 posts, read 26,965,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are plenty of lightweight J-frame revolvers and plenty of lightweight compact semi-auto handguns. I can see a 2yo being able to shoot one, unless it was a really frail kid.

I think that anyone who carries a gun needs to be in control of it at all times while carrying and have it locked up when they're not carrying. Otherwise, this sort of thing will keep happening.

Some people clearly shouldn't be carrying guns.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,977,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69colin View Post
It is about time America entered the 21st century and realized that guns are not necessary to exist on Earth.
If the gun lobby got out of the way and grew up US would be a better place to live.

Yes this will cause a lot of keyboard hitting in anger....but....GUNS are not necessary.

Look at how all of the other countries around the world operate without guns.

How many people need to die before US wakes up
The vast majority of guns in this country (over 200,000,000) are in good hands, but the fact remains that there are enough guns in the wrong hands to make self-defense with a gun necessary some times. As I've repeated before, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What in gods name in Idaho would substantiate such a ridiculous statement??? I am sure someone will come up with a statistic to refute it, but last I knew, no-one ever defended themselves from paranoia with a gun.
In this case it was so "reasonable" that the woman died....with her own handgun. Darwin Award candidate, for sure.

Didn't you read where such behavior is "perfectly reasonable"?

Thankfully it was a gun nut dying from their own beliefs. But yes, it could have been an innocent bystander who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

...and I will lay odds that the "grieving" dad DID NOT go home and remove all the guns from the house/vehicle/self.
People like you sicken me.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
This is beyond tragic. No one other than law enforcement officers like police should possess and carry guns, not even BB guns IMO. I can't even imagine how the little boy would feel when he is old enough to realize what had he done to his own mom. Really sad.
If no one were allowed to carry guns then police wouldn't need them either, no?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:46 PM

9,289 posts, read 16,156,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Well, lets ask the question another way...lets just say that you hack someone off. I mean, really hack them off. Someone bigger and meaner than you are. If you're not carrying a firearm, what do you do when this person that perceives that you cut them off follows you to the Wal-Mart parkinglot?

Okay, maybe that's a bit "what-if" and you don't want to think about things like that, so lets talk about something that did happen in Idaho.

Here is some nasty news...criminals don't care what state they are in, and don't care where they are, and sometimes, a firearm is the only equalizer you have.

I picked a story in which noone had to die, and two firearms were used without having to be fired, to first stop an armed robbery, and then apprehend the suspect.

If it can happen at a coffee shop, it can happen to a mom in Wal-Mart.

Inquiring minds want to know, and this is purely a question of mental-exercise, but what would you do if someone kicked your door in and decided that they were going to kill you? Or got out of their vehicle in front of you at a traffic light and decided to drag you out of yours and do who knows what? I promise that there are plenty of people out there who could kill you with their hands, or barring that, their hands and a tire iron. So...I suppose you just go through life hoping that doesn't happen, and if it does, well, you'll make the news and hopefully they catch the guy. See, noone can prepare for EVERYTHING, and you're okay with those risks...that's fine, I'm okay with you taking that "risk". But you don't really have the right to be telling me what risks to take, either. I choose different risks than you, and you choose different risks from others. They have proven that firearm ownership prevents more deaths in American civilian life than they cause, though, so from the statistical standpoint, you're position is bunk., per the CDC and IOM.
Somehow, I have managed to live the entirety of my 54 years in two large cities without anything remotely resembling these scenarios happening to me.... and I do not stay in my safe little suburb either..... a lot of my work is done in pretty rough neighborhoods that paranoid gun nuts probably wouldn't even venture into.......

Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM

29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If no one were allowed to carry guns then police wouldn't need them either, no?
No, they are also needed in case of a knife attack or hammer assault.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM

72,932 posts, read 64,407,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Could be the kid was 35 months which is 30% older than 24 months and more physical. (But still a 2yo)
OK, true. An almost-three-year-old is a relatively big kid, compared to someone who just got out of being 1, someone who just learned to toddle around. All the more reason to be extremely guarded with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events